Fuck git

Why is this program such a pain in the ass to work with?

Worse than the verbose roundabout way of getting the most simple done, it just deleted all of my files. Just like that, gone.
-From directory root, ran git init
-git add [files]
I wanted to make an initial commit to the local repository, saw there were no branches, went to make a branch. Ran checkout -b master while trying to figure out its fucked up way of going about what should be easy tasks.
-Tried to commit again
-Saw files were all gone.
-No branches
-No commits
There's nothing. Luckily I had all the files I'd changed open in an editor and the rest are backed up, but new or not this complete ass backwards retardation. I'm going to continue trying to make this work, but so far a program that deletes all the files it was told to track then can't recover them, is not at all impressive.

Stupid piece of shit.

Attached: Git-Icon-1788C.png (383x383, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git-scm.com/book/en/v2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Stupid piece of shit
don't be so hard on yourself

It's al right, even if you're a failure I'm sure your mother still loves you.

Cunt.

>he doesn't use magit
ayylmao at your life, brother

>saw there were no branches

This is impossible and you know it.

Clever.

git branch prints nothing.

ITT: OP is too retarded to use git.

You shouldn't have to be too clever to have your version control system keep the files it was told to track. As in, not delete them.

user, all you need is git status, git add, git commit, git log and git reset. Only the last command can remove files. You need to do some really retarded shit to remove files with git.

>paying $10k's to study
>not knowing how to use git

did you even go to a class?

Attached: laughing-at-penis.jpg (392x500, 28K)

It must have something to do with checkout -b. When there was no master branch I made one. git branch still displayed nothing.

If you did git init then a master branch already exists

OP here.

Alright, I'm over it. Either going to figure out git or switch to mercurial. I have so many things to get done and so much shit going on at this point my mind and subconscious are splintered into pieces.

Perhaps git's ass backwards garbage design has shown me that there is no way forward without relearning how to deal with things serially, and to reunify my mind.

/blog

Also, fuck you all. Well, most of you anyway. Git is a mediocre piece of shit and so are you.

It did not. git branch was the first thing I checked.

Op, for personal projects and you're using a remote repo like GitHub this is all you need to know.

git add .
git commit
git push origin master

To update your local repo for when you switch to a different machine do the following:

git pull

To update your local repo.

checkout -b creates a new branch and switches over to it. You're files are probably still there, you're just in the wrong branch to see it.
There is usually always a master branch. Try a git branch to see if there is a master branch.

>Also, fuck you all. Well, most of you anyway. Git is a mediocre piece of shit and so are you.
Haha, poo in loo can't into It.

Attached: poos can't into IT.png (1850x4917, 1.63M)

git branch doesn't print anything.

I'm going to try the non-MSYS2 git later.

American. Green eyes, brown hair. Native American, French, probably Russian, and just enough Jewish heritage to know how dangerous the Jew mind would be undiluted.

Alright, thanks for the feedback. It might just be an MSYS2 thing, packages are fucked up occasionally. OP out.

You'll probably want to backup your files manually if you're too stupid to use git.

>it's a /Jew trying to weasel his way out of being a Jew/ episode
heh
stay classic

Maybe your confusion stems from the belief that using "git add [file1] [file2] ..." is enough to track them: it is not. That tool adds them to a staging area.

To track them, you must use "git commit", which then prompts you for a message. When you are done, you can see the commits added with "git log".

I was not able to reproduce your issue, anyway I suggest you read the quite extensive manual or at least follow a tutorial to familiarize with the basic tooling.

Cheers

What are you even using git for? You shouldn't be allowed to program if you're too stupid to use it.

This. Git is way too complicated. Just back your shit up somewhere and you’re good.

I just found out that some people actually do git commands through the command line.

How stupid do you have to be to not use the built in commands in whatever IDE you're using to program?

Git gud

-120 stupid, since IDE plugins impose a workflow

Brainlet detected

>le git XD le commit, le fork, epic made-up meme terminology for basic things, im such a hacker mom
lmao just save as and increment the filename by 1

what you just said does not mean anything

>ide
I bet you use C# or Java

>IDE
Kys pajeet.

Don't blame git if you are retarded and did rm -rf * between one of the git commands.

Attached: op_is_a_faggot.png (540x359, 33K)

honestly, just use rcs

Some IDEs like Android Studio make really bad choices when it comes to git, I don't know why Android Studio is so eager to rebase on each time I want to create a commit, I just use magit or the cli

OP, have you considered using magit?

Use magit. Git is such an overcomplicated piece of shit that it will never be fixed, and neither do the masochists want to.

Attached: serveimage(38).jpg (645x729, 57K)

Tell me how elegant and uncomplicated git is, and how it is a centerpiece of the UNIX philosophy

Why do you niggers have such a hard time with git? What the fuck is so hard about git add and git commit. Jesus christ.

Hahahaha

You seriously can't take the 10 minutes to understand how girl works?

It's a file system at it's core, just learn how it's arranged, and stop being a big fucking retard.

Nobody knows how girls work user

It's not complicated at all you moron, I looked once at the man page and never had problems. Why do you even need source control for your fizzbuzzes anyway?

Attached: brainletcastle.jpg (645x1000, 107K)

I use tortoise Git client, because I was familiar with SVN first

commit, pull, fetch, push, merge, checkout, branch, reset, stash, rebase (-i), add (--patch) there are quite a few more commands you need from time to time.

RTFM

git-scm.com/book/en/v2

Okay? What's the big deal?

Nothing. It's just that git is way more usefull if you know a few more commands.

FUCK GIT?
I HARDLY KNOW IT!

Sure I just named the first couple that came to mind. Personally I use add, commit, pull, branch, and checkout the most. The rest are on occasion.

>creating branches before the initial commit

Attached: animu.jpg (428x428, 44K)

Super cool story, OP. Pretty much none of that is how git works.

Attached: super cool story.png (767x374, 33K)