Vim refugeee

what are the best resources for those switching to emacs? I'm using spacemacs at the moment and can basically use it just as vim, but i wanna be able to do almost everything from emacs.

Is spacemacs the right place to go, and is what i learn in spacemacs more universally applicable to emacs? Or should i just get vanilla emacs with evil mode?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (3500x2249, 1.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/url?q=https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/pdf/emacs.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjGu5ui54TiAhVBba0KHSj4AdMQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3qT3eUe76Ue8-9fF0veeCv
youtu.be/Iagbv974GlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vwnc6MOJcKA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

there are some youtube series about building emacs config from scratch.
search for "mike zamansky" and "uncle dave" on youtube.
also dont use evil mode it sucks

Use vim.

Watch Uncle Dave's videos on YouTube.

Attached: 1514500221728.jpg (800x794, 87K)

why would you switch?

This

Might have something to do with Vim being garbage.

Why? Emacs is bloat.

i was an avid vim user until i found some guy using orgmode that got me into emacs and also doom and now that i'm familiar with doom i only use vim for fast editing only

GVim uses more memory by default than Emacs does.

Same place you learn everything else

Google
Gnu has a free pdf emacs manual
google.com/url?q=https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/pdf/emacs.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjGu5ui54TiAhVBba0KHSj4AdMQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3qT3eUe76Ue8-9fF0veeCv
And YouTube
youtu.be/Iagbv974GlQ

How so? And are you implying vim isn't somehow bloated and pseudo-minimalist?

>Is spacemacs the right place to go
Yes
>is what i learn in spacemacs more universally applicable to emacs?
Yes. Keybindings will be different (better), but it is just emacs in the end
>Or should i just get vanilla emacs with evil mode?
Only if you have a ton of time to mess with config. Spacemacs + its layers systems makes things super easy to get started with. Also the popup menu + mnemonics system further lowers the initial difficulty.
>best resources
Search 'Spacemacs ABC' on YT. It's kind of dry and a bit old at this point, but he basically goes through everything that spacemacs does, and I learned a ton of things from it.

One other thing: People are going to advise you to skip spacemacs cause it's "bloated". I think the bloat is one of the best aspects of it, because you'll discover so much cool shit (favorite personal example: avy-jump). I remember years ago I installed vanilla emacs and was just kind of like 'ok? whats the point of this?'. Spacemacs in contrast will give you a ton of cool shit all configured to work nicely together without having to do tons of config work, know elisp etc.

>Yes
You should add that it's only for retards who can't figure stuff out on their own, like you yourself seem to be.

Emacs is large, not bloated.
Vim, on the other hand, is pseudo-minimalist, together with software such as mutt.

>gvim

Sorry, thought that was made clear by the rest of my post

Try this:

youtube.com/watch?v=vwnc6MOJcKA

>mike zamansky
noice, just found this randomly today and was gonna ask about it now

i want something more bloated, which is more like an ide than vim.

I specifically don't want to ever leave emacs to compile, refactor or look at emails or an issue tracker

thanks man this is really helpful. My main fear is that stuff i learn from spacemacs will be useless in 5 years (maybe spacemacs will be dead then?)

I absolutely want something which does alot, as long as it fast (which spacemacs seems to be, im coming from visual studio with the vim plugin anyway lol).

what's wrong with evil mode?