/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What do you use optical discs for?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM

Attached: 1551428052773.jpg (2805x1868, 619K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-dvd/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What do you use optical discs for?
Nothing. I haven’t bought a spindle in probably a decade.

How do you store/back up your data?

Anyone knows where i could find a nice case that supports a vertical disc reader?

Attached: 1487823612570_0.jpg (1711x1200, 460K)

Who doesn’t have a 24tb raid array and archival storage offsite in a climate controlled bunker? Besides, optical has worse archival performance than hard disk.

I had one as a coffee cup coaster a few years back but already tossed it away

frisbee

that is stunning

cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-dvd/
If you use jigdo debian is 14 DVDs

I know i had to settle for a cheap case a friend gave me and it happened to be autistic gaymen shit.

sometimes have to burn linux to disc if old computer refuses to boot from usb. also i'm doing some dvb archiving to dvd (as mkv/x265+vorbis).

I have spindles of disks that I don't use.
Transferred my old optical backups on to my NAS.

Tbh tape is a much better tool for backups than discs.

I know of vertical external BD readers, if that's what you're searching

Well a clear disc external disc reader does sound nice too

Not in terms of longevity, M-DISC beats everything.
>also i'm doing some dvb archiving to dvd (as mkv/x265+vorbis).
Pretty based. Why not use BD?
We had people using discs to scare off crows
.>14 DVDs
1 BDXL will do

Attached: 1550918638683.png (628x416, 602K)

I'm using ASUS SBW-06D2X-U. It's very slim and compact, but also quite unstable in terms of what it can read. The drive supports M-DISC burning, but can't read BD-ROM.

i have a bunch of dvd-r media left but at some point i'm going to switch to bd-r

Good move! BD's have much higher longevity due to inorganic data layer (unless it's LTH) and special Durabis coating, which protects both from dirt and scratches. You could also try DVD-RAM, it's nothing like DVD or Blu-ray experience. 100000 rewrite cycle, hardware-based error correction, 9 alloy layers for high longevity. Still, perfect compatibility with regular DVD players.

Attached: 1549535976642.jpg (1600x1200, 237K)

Honestly it would be too much of a hassle to break up my data in 50GB chunks. If I ever feel like I need to back it up I'll use tape I guess. For now, RAID it is
Still, I like optical media. Might buy some laserdiscs at some point, just to see how good they really look

Take the 100gbpill
The M-DISC variant of it will beat tape and everything else in longevity.
You can compile a disc of the most important data for you.

Attached: bdrexl.jpg (480x480, 52K)

I don't need my data to last a thousand years, and tape is way cheaper

practically dead tech

Yet it's still in stores.

Watching kinos.

Attached: 89AEDBEA-3D6B-45C5-BA50-F6CDEA899D96.jpg (1220x1621, 466K)

i updated the bios on a thinkbad x300 with one

Tape is only cheaper if you get the $4000 drive for free.

Encrypted backups on Google Drive
At least google datacenters are unlikely to randomly die or burn down all at once

M-Disc rules, and their translucent quality is pretty cool too.

Optical is my only serious long-term backup strategy, with plenty of checksums, PAR files, 10-disc sets where I could literally lose 4 discs completely and still rebuild the set without losing a bit of data (literally, not one single bit ever lost so far in 20+ years of using this method).

While I'd love to have a big fucking never failing hard drive I could load up with all the stuff I can stuff on it with my Gigabit Internet connection, hard drives just can't truly be trusted any more so optical is still the way to go for me.

Yes it takes longer, yes it requires a bit more effort, but I'm not a fuckin' hoarder so the stuff I decide to save to optical media is something I put the utmost effort into saving with the most practical long-term backup method that still exists to this day.

Attached: M-Disc_Translucent.jpg (2328x1746, 2.47M)

used drives are much cheaper

Holy fuck I want that keyboard

>hard drives just can't truly be trusted any more
This is pretty much it. I'm also moving to M-Disc.

I find buying more HDD space is cheap and more convenient than keeping a huge pile of optical discs and watching them rot. I have backups of the relatively small amount of data that really matters. The rest can be redownloaded or remade fairly easily if it goes down in drive failure.