The Technology of ISP IP Lease Time

I have Spectrum cable internet (only provider in my area) I am trying to get and keep a new IP. I have a combo wifi and modem unit. I put it in bridge mode to disable the internal router and hooked it up to a stand alone wifi router to get a new MAC address. This forced a new DHCP IP from the ISP. However when I go back to using the built in router I still get the same IP as before.

How long will I have to leave it hooked up with the new MAC address till the lease expires and I get a different IP with the old MAC in the built in unit?

The reason I need a new IP is not the topic of this thread, this is about technology

Attached: 1438063092896.jpg (1024x1024, 922K)

she cute

What are you trying to do?

For your local ip addresses, you can usually dictate the lease length through the router software.

For your public ip, the isp is gonna switch it whenever it likes. Nothing you do on your hardware is going to have any impact on that.

Just pay them for a block.
t. 8 static

>For your local ip addresses, you can usually dictate the lease length through the router software.
it says 4 days

so does that mean i will for sure get a new IP if i disconnect from the external router?

I am talking about the public IP, it's DHCP from the ISP

surely they would not hold an IP forever in limbo just in case I go back to the old MAC address?

some teacher used jebus to hack his students

Attached: 1538079846772.jpg (944x870, 161K)

I want it to be DHCP

Charter doesn't change their ip addresses the same way DSL does. Power cycling the router/modem won't change your IP. Sucks, for you, because you can't get around bans easily.

I realize that, that's why I am using a new router to force a MAC address change.

my question is for how long will they associate that public IP with my old MAC address when I am not using it. At some point they would use that IP for another customer

You can't change the MAC on a cable modem. They whitelist the modem on their network, that's why you don't have to login like DSL.

If you need an IP change, just get a VPN.

I did change the mac, by attaching a new primary device to the modem, a router. I have a new IP now.

My question is how long will they hold the old IP and associate it with my old mac address?

>If you need an IP change, just get a VPN.
enjoy ur 400ms ping times

Using a router connected to your modem will NOT make your ISP identify a different MAC address because the router connected to your modem is being given a LOCAL IP address (eg: 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x) and is only seen by your modem, not your ISP

Use a different modem

>Using a router connected to your modem will NOT make your ISP identify a different MAC address because the router connected to your modem is being given a LOCAL IP address (eg: 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x) and is only seen by your modem, not your ISP
I just did this and now I have a new IP, lrn 2 network

don't wanna, I am willing to leave it set up like this for weeks if need be, just wondering how long it will take

If I go back to the old MAC right now I get the same IP as before, but surely they can't hold that association forever? They need that IP for other customers

You clearly don't know what you're talking about or what you're doing.

Attached: Breakfast.jpg (185x272, 13K)

>paying for a static ipv4 block
>not having a /64 to the ISP box + /60 over DHCPv6-PD to his own router thanks to the wonders of IPv6

Not an argument.

I just did this, ISPs go by the MAC of the first connected device, usually a router but it could be a computer if you just have your computer CAT 5 into the modem.

look it up, you are wrong. This is basic stuff

Did you miss the bridge mode part?

>Using a router connected to your modem will NOT make your ISP identify a different MAC address because the router connected to your modem is being given a LOCAL IP address (eg: 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x) and is only seen by your modem, not your ISP
you have never set up any networking equipment have you?

bump for answers

>bump for answers

>That JUST hairline

shave balls

just spoof your mac address in the router, unplug and restart both the modem and it will assign a new IP. the IP that the modem provides is based on the MAC of whatever is connected to the WAN port. it really is that simple.