Oh Ubuntu... you're my favorite Linux-based operating system

Oh Ubuntu... you're my favorite Linux-based operating system.

Attached: 19-578-93475.png (813x436, 356K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZoTPHLRSwU
youtube.com/watch?v=kddqINA1vOA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Illya is my favorite cunny

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

He said Linux-based.

>the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux"
I'm not a computer guy but isn't Android based off of GNU and used much more widely than Linux?

What you're referring to as Linux-based, is in fact, GNU/Linux-based, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux based. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I read this thread while imagining a laugh track between every post

>buy an alienware massive gaymur laptop
>runs ubuntu on it

Isn't TBBT filmed in front of a live audience though?

Could be funded by the university, maybe they bought him a laptop with a massive GPU so he could run calculations on it using CUDA.

never knew sheldon was such of a casual

You're thinking of IT Crowd, TBBT's precursor

Attached: tnetennba.jpg (471x350, 26K)

They would make him run the calculation on servers, not some underpowered overexpensive laptop

No, it's filmed in front of an audience.
youtube.com/watch?v=7ZoTPHLRSwU

>They would make him run the calculation on servers
Nah, people in my research group got expensive laptops to run their deep meme learning tasks on because servers don't come with those kind of GPUs unless you buy expensive DGX servers from Nvidia.

i thought gnu was the kernel and linux the rest of it?

Bazinga

systemd is the kernel, gnu is the graphical user interface and linux is the command line autism.

No GNU is just a text editor.

gnu is when you take a dump after taco tuesdays, and you get a good whiff

gneeeewww that's disgusting

Have they ever actually mentioned GNU/Linux in that show?

youtube.com/watch?v=kddqINA1vOA

I shouldn't have asked