Border Services seizes lawyer's phone, laptop for not sharing passwords

>After landing at Toronto's Pearson Airport on April 10, he said the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) flagged him for an additional inspection — for no stated reason.

>Wright had just returned from a four-month trip to Guatemala and Colombia where he studied Spanish and worked remotely. He took no issue when a border services officer searched his bags, but drew the line when the officer demanded his passwords to also search his phone and laptop.

>Wright refused, telling the officer both devices contained confidential information protected by solicitor-client privilege.

>He said the officer then confiscated his phone and laptop, and told him the items would be sent to a government lab which would try to crack his passwords and search his files.

>According to the CBSA, it has the right to search electronic devices at the border for evidence of customs-related offences — without a warrant — just as it does with luggage.

>If travellers refuse to provide their passwords, officers can seize their devices.

>The CBSA said that between November 2017 and March 2019, 19,515 travellers had their digital devices examined, which represents 0.015 per cent of all cross-border travellers during that period.

>Officers uncovered a customs-related offence during 38 per cent of those searches, said the agency.
archive.fo/BoPYu (broken due to content policy)
cbc.ca/news/business/cbsa-boarder-security-search-phone-travellers-openmedia-1.5119017

>nothing to hide, nothing to fear - as long as you give up your passwords
One of these days they're gonna throw you in the gulag after you fail to disclose passwords for accounts that don't exist in the first place.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-05_11-46-38.png (653x653, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uQdC-e82gmk
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6955587/Viral-Twitter-exchange-highlights-privacy-concerns-facial-recognition-technology-airports.html
youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE
youtu.be/2-fDXl0A2LA?t=49
youtube.com/watch?v=NxRL0Qic1ok
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kek reminds me of that one xkcd comic.

Provide password how? Do you have to give it to them, or just type it in for them?

Not even lawyes are safe from this shit
Wonder how long it will take for the west starts to look like China 2.0

Attached: 1352654949672.jpg (361x480, 19K)

they are already gearing up for a great American firewall
the excuse will be that we need to protect Freedom from Russian/Chinese hacking

>great American firewall
'scuse me what
Sauce?

Its about Canada numbnuts.

Obligatory:
youtu.be/uQdC-e82gmk

Canada's in America, shitlord

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6955587/Viral-Twitter-exchange-highlights-privacy-concerns-facial-recognition-technology-airports.html

Sounds like picking a fight with a lawyer of all thing is probably a bad move for a minimum wage mall cop, regardless of their hugspace "comfort the normie so they keep flying" agency backing.

Border services agents make good money and are considered peace officers in Canada with much of the same powers as any other police officer.

>snake wants money and will fight for it
big shock

Wonder what will happen now that it's in the media

The guy was coming back from Thailand. Alone. The cops aren't stupid.

It was Guatemala actually

china has the upper hand
the west is unwilling to be truly free thus is doomed to become a cheap copy of china

Same difference. He was fucking little girls and they wanted the evidence.

Being a lawyer doesn't make you above the law.
The government is charged with border security and it has been endowed with the power to deny entry. Your possessions do not have a right to return.

Fuck border patrol.
I've never left America, if I go on vacation to Japan should I buy some cheap netbook to take and use cloud to pull down files when I get there?
I can't afford to lose my main laptop.

You should have a main desktop and junk laptops replaced as needed

Where's the coherence between denying entrance and confiscating personal possessions that are otherwise perfectly legal to buy and own? Furthermore, why do border security have the power to perform digital searches? Does anyone think they would recognise espionage or classified information even if it was all stored on the desktop? Are they looking for cp only?

just have two OS's installed, one encrypted to shit and another as a 'decoy' OS

what could they possibly even be looking for and how would they find it? would they just browse all his files? what if he has password protected rar files with encrypted file names, would he have to unpack all the files?

Attached: 1556045913707.jpg (400x394, 46K)

Act like a criminal, get treated like one.
Fag gets what he deserves

They think he's a sex tourist and are looking for cheese pizza.

probably adding your name to some list if you use Linux/BSD

Canada fucking wishes.

They're allowed to search. Your idle musings are immaterial.

yes thats the only thing i could think of but they would still have to confiscate the laptop to search all the files or do they expect cp to just be placed on the desktop? he also just couldve uploaded them from outside the country. the chance to find anything remotely incriminating is extremely low and forcing people to unlock their devices seems like a really ineffective and stupid idea.

I think the biggest problem is, that these rules aren't being told to the civilization anymore. It just happens and suddenly a citizen is locked up. And nobody knew beforehand that this could happen.

I'm under the impression that this way of legislation was on the rise for the last few years.

E.g. look what happened with VC as well: They seized his german servers, although nobody knew they would be able to do such a thing. Clearly they just pretend to have such permissions, although we, the citizens, didn't give them those in the first place.

Reminder that FBI pays geek squad to look through your computer and copy the files for goverment.
I know Jow Forums won't use Geeksquad but if you have relatives or whatever.

No we don’t. Too many darkies Mexicans and school/public shootings.

Is this s confirmed fact? Interesting if true.

windows already scans for CP, so it sounds a bit redundant, but I wouldnt be surprised either way.

Most of the time they are actually looking for any evidence that someone is going to violate their visa, like working in Canada when they aren’t supposed to, or staying longer than they are permitted. They usually accomplish this by reading people’s facebook messages or texts. In this lawyers case having travelled alone to Gautamala and then Colombia for 4 months alone probably looked suspicious and then even more so when he declined to let them look in his devices. The suspicious could have been cheese pizza or drugs or maybe both.

Being is suspicious, yes?

Fick die USA

That’s something else that I wouldn’t doubt but some real evidence would be extremely interesting.

No excuse not to have a burner phone and burner laptop in current year, you can get a chinkphone and used laptop for $50 each these days. That way if it gets lost, stolen, or seized you're not screwed.

The law has always worked this way. The law is mostly a spook or a phantom meant to make normies feel safer. Most people who end up in prison are from the bottom of society and didn't know how to protect themselves when police decide to fuck with them; police also know to target individuals who seem to know less about the law and their own rights. This is why knowing your rights is so important, because they are looking for anyone to target. They are predatory. There's a great video on youtube which goes into some of this:

youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE

TLDR of it is: If you're interacting with police in any way, be polite and courteous - but politely decline to answer any questions, even if they seem inane or like friendly, unrelated banter. Because they can and will use it against you, and even if you're more than innocent it will only work against you to talk to cops.

A smartphone today is like a personal diary, though. Many people have LEGAL nudes of themselves (police, border patrol etc have in the past been found copying, saving, transferring such images). Many people have all their private contacts, notes, diary entries, etc. It's ridiculous too because if you really want to transfer any data illegally - the internet is a much easier way to do it.

>A smartphone today is like a personal diary, though. Many people have LEGAL nudes of themselves (police, border patrol etc have in the past been found copying, saving, transferring such images). Many people have all their private contacts, notes, diary entries, etc. It's ridiculous too because if you really want to transfer any data illegally - the internet is a much easier way to do it.
All the more reason to not carry your smartphone across international borders. Same for laptops.

And if you absolutely must, make sure you're not just running some normal OS (wangblows, iOS, android), and make sure you've encrypted everything, even if you have absolutely nothing to hide (after all, it might still contain things like important work documents which you must protect, lest you be found in breach of your NDA).

Therefore, the optimal solution is to just buy a burner phone/laptop, install some linux distro or LineageOS for a phone (or whatever other mobile OS floats your boat), encrypt the device, and make sure it only contains strictly work or travel related things.

DO AMERICANS REA-
oh

America = US
Americas = the two continents

People who call the US "America" are retarded but so are you for being such a pedantic twat

Imagine how poorly this lawyer would be treated if he was NOT a lawyer with access to legal resources and legal friends in the law profession. This forces law enforcement to be a lot more careful and less vicious out of fear for their law enforcement careers.

He's not in jail. If it were one of us normies, chances are we could be held in "detention" while the issue is being worked.

>colombia
no wonder

Attached: 1542870282418.jpg (639x768, 99K)

Has he tried, not being brown?

>someone is going to violate their visa, like working in Canada when they aren’t supposed to, or staying longer than they are permitted.

He was a Canadian national returning to Canada, Shlomo

This is not a solution. All of those personal uses for the device I mentioned make it extremely expensive in terms of money and time to leave such a device behind while you travel.

> and make sure it only contains strictly work or travel related things.

Often times those are the very things you want to protect.

canada look like mini-US to me, a non-anglo. canada is always copying their shitty ways of doing things. I would expect it to be a completely different country, but they seem so similar, it's sad.

United States of America references the whole mass of America, which we split up into two continents: North and South America. "America" is not synonymous for the USA, even though it is often used that way. It's just the only relevant country there.
No other region(except maybe Australia) is as dominated by one nations as America. Africa has nothing, Europe has a handful major powers, same goes for Asia.

how viable is it to, under certain circumstances, swap out a user's home folder with a network share
>log into normie home folder mounted as RO so they can't fiddle with shit (you provided your password and files, but they can't mess with them so they can fuck off)
>have a script, possibly offsite on a burner file locker account, to unmount the normie home folder and mount the network home folder in its place
other than wifi access and speed, what are problems with this?

The only thing we're missing are shootings.
Beheadings and goat rape is all we've got desu

also the reason why to remount the entire home folder instead of just a normal folder somewhere else is due to various caching (such as file history) leaking, all of these would end up in the home folder anyway so it stays clean

He's a lawyer he should know to travel with burner electronics anyways. Easy loses for someone with that much money to cut.

(((Peace Officer)))
These pricks can go eat dicks.
The American border patrol are nice and friendly, easy going etc.
The Canadian cucks are a disease if you ever dealt with them. They shame you and harass you (a Canadian returning home from the States), about how you're spending money.

Dirty Glow niggers guarding our border against its own.
We Chinkland 2.0 dictatorship now

Africa is a country get over it

>not encrypting all your shit beforehand and transmitting your data to your offshore servers before leaving shithole countries
>not carrying burner electronics with you with junk data
>not smuggling USB drives in hidden shoe compartments that are also filled with junk data
It's like these dudes never traveled to Asia before. One script kiddie from quakenet would destroy these guys, I weep for the future.

>american border patrol is nice
If you're white and speak English, they're your best buddy. Even if you're smuggling drugs, they don't really give too much of a shit about prescription stuff like juice or benzos or anything.

you unlock your device, they backdoor it while pretending to search, then they monitor your activity

Attached: 400.jpg (344x399, 122K)

that's why you set it read-only before hand for your less privileged normie account

Imagine living in a (((free country))) that you must give away your passwords so they can inspect it, when you're a citizen returning to your OWN home country. Sure is land of the free.

>If it ain't white it ain't right
>I pass for white
You might be right, they did stop a large family of Pajeets one time I was there, they were super friendly to me too.
Feelsgoodman on both accounts

they've been doing this shit to poor people for ages but i guess it's bad now that it happened to someone rich

>land of the free
>happened in Canada
Heh.

Idiot.
There's always one

Canada market itself as the land of the free, diverse, etc. Only good thing is having a Canadian passport. Don't live in Canada, it's a shit hole, especially Toronto full of pajeets.

Make that two idiots. Here's the second:

Someone should go to Canada with a notebook with TempleOS isnstalled.

And then when the guy asks for a password, he will boot into TempleOS.

I wonder what would be the guy reaction.

I've never heard of Canada "marketing" itself as "land of the free".

Land of the cucks would be most accurate but that might devolve into a heated legal dispute with Sweden and England.

More like land of the cucks. Lel. Regardless Canada has no culture and is USA-mini. But then again USA doesn't have much of a (((culture))) either.

>lawyer
>Nick Wright

Attached: aa.png (860x484, 3K)

What makes you think it isn't already? That horrible social credit nightmare in China is public because it exploits their culture's habit of putting a lot of importance on one's standing within their immediate community. In America, that aspect would be dwarfed by a negative reaction to loss of privacy, so it's better to keep it fully hidden.

The great liberation which technology enthusiasts used to look forward to won't happen. The rich will get telomere therapy to live forever, and everyone else gets smartdust tracking their every move, from cradle to grave.

Attached: you will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension.jpg (400x400, 42K)

>meanwhile elsewhere on the Canadian border
youtu.be/2-fDXl0A2LA?t=49

>not encoding your CP into an SQL database
:^)

Correction: No longer has culture.
It did have culture before the onslaught of PC culture.

Attached: security.png (448x274, 26K)

They're all being arrested. Those aren't border agents, those are federal police.

>The American border patrol are nice and friendly, easy going etc.

Lol fuck off, they treat you like a fucking terrorist if you don't end every sentence with sir

>We Chinkland 2.0 dictatorship now
>We

fuck off lard ass American.

The guy is a spy or working for the cartels. Guarantee it.

>Travel alone to kiddie diddle land
>Be shocked when you're flagged upon return

His reaction would be adding your ID to the watch database and forwarding it to the rest of the five eyes.

You guys do realize that there's a guy rotting in a US jail for refusing to give up his passwords for drives, right?
Encryption is pretty much illegal UNLESS you give cops passwords when asked.

Attached: 1554077234254.jpg (754x302, 62K)

>land of the free
Wasn't it his own sister who turned him in because she saw something on his computer?

Fucking women.

your laptop should be a thin client with a VPN to your actual work server, and no useful information should be retrievable from it.

Look at my laptop if you want.
You won't find anything, peasants.

When traveling always factory reset all devices then restore them afterwards. When asked if you are aware of everything in your bag as they search inform them that the bag has been in the possession of numerous airport personnel so it may not contain what you think it contains.

It'll piss them off but it's all plausible deniability stuff. Airport personnel are apparently above the constitution

>They inject rootkit onto your BIOS and storage firmware
Unless you libreboot/coreboot and re-flash the BIOS/EC/Other firmware, you are compromised

He has long been released but keep scaremongering

>the Canada Border Services Agency
>(CBSA)
just in case you couldn't work out the iniitialism

>thinking I know my passwords
You hit me with a wrench and I won't be able to tell you how to access my keychain because I'll be concussed.

Funny how I used to be an enthusiast just a few years ago, I've always enjoyed tech and reading about it, used to test every new webisite or service I found, then one day I started reading about privacy, then it all went downhill from there, finding more and more underground software in an almost hopeless attempt of keeping my data private

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be easier to give in to the botnet

Attached: IMG_20190331_162233_030.jpg (739x416, 86K)

Then they will just hit you again until you produced such passwords or until your die, your choice

>go to airport
>get to tsa
>get my shit searched
>navigate to my /BLACKED/CREAMPIES folder
>talk to the tsa clerk about these big black guys pumping their GENOCIDAL LOAD into ALL the white wimminz while showing their my BLACKED compilation of.creampies
>tsa nigger dies of disgust
>get free pass and carry on my 5kg of coke, and boner

>youtube.com/watch?v=NxRL0Qic1ok
Start at 30 seconds in. They don't have to hit your head.

>ahmed hussen
sad

The point of the story was not that I'm a super badass special forces masochist who pops wood pulling out my own toenails, the point of the story was that I can't tell you what I don't know.

Great. Then they eventually give up after beating you into a coma.

You don't want anything encrypted; just have a basic Windows install, and some games. Something simple for customs to look at and see nothing but another normal traveler.

When you get where you are going; netboot a recovery image (using a service like netboot.xyz) and pull down your normal working image from a remote server.

When you are ready to leave, send your current data back to the remote server; netboot, wipe. and drop a clean windows image back on the laptop.

Treat anything that you will take through customs as completely disposable. No data on it, an not hardware you care about.

Or they ask nicely after telling me who they are and what they want my age gap yuri doujin collection for. Maybe I made new friends.