MNIST Database

I want to build a machine to classify numbers in the MNIST data set to extend my AI skills and maybe have something cool in my portfolio. Anyone here done this? Any recommendations for how to get started? My basic idea was just to start sketching out a linear classifier in python, but I'm noob and not sure if that's a good language for this kind of project.

Attached: redpickup.jpg (500x662, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pytorch/examples/blob/master/mnist/main.py
neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com/chap1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

everyone has done this
it just takes a couple of days of fucking around with tensorflow

I would use pytorch so you don't have to handroll the gradients

github.com/pytorch/examples/blob/master/mnist/main.py

yeah, I'm just getting started and I wanted to go for something that everyone has already done first so that I have plenty of resources to fall back on when I get stuck. I'll try more interesting stuff next.
Thanks for the link, saved.

Imagine the smell

I'm trying bro.

Who is this Yoda of yogurt-slinging?

god i wish i were that truck

I want to FUCK that truck

ikr? Get that thot out of the way and just start banging

how to get a qt redneck gf?

This is basically 'Hello World'. Go for it, but don't have unrealistic expectations for what it means for your portfolio.

I did it in javascript

Star with your sister.

MNIST is baby tier. It's trivial to do much more complicated classification tasks using pre trained models/transfer learning.

If you're interested in digit recognition and want to do something cooler, you could train a model to actually read handwritten text. Pretty easy to do either with an LSTM based model or a fully convolutional model. Look up Connectionist Temporal Classification for how you'd do the reading part. You could also pretty easily make a Flask app and host it on AWS. People upload images of handwritten text and the model transcribes it. That's a way more interesting project than MNIST classification.

If you're interested in classification stuff, find a more exciting dataset. If you're limited on compute, you should look into the Oxford pets dataset or Food-101. Good smaller datasets.

It's also not much of a stretch to go from CNN classification to object detection.

>Any recommendations for how to get started?
If you're unsure of where to start in terms of learning, you should look into Andrew Ng's deep learning course on coursera (Tensorflow) or fast.ai (pytorch).

If you just want to jump into classification, I'm pretty sure that's lesson 1 of fast.ai.

neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com/chap1.html

there are literally 1 hours lecture on fast.ai to get 99% accuracy on MNIST
any brainlet can do this within

maybe you niggers can relax with the "baby tier" faggotry? op wants to do a project, why the fuck you gotta act so smug

f*et...

Hot.

Using a premade library isn't the same as implementing it by hand.

I want to marry her feet.

Everyone and their mother has done MNIST OP. Aim a little bit higher.

really? Try writing a conv net by yourself to achieve 99% accuracy.
You can't, there's 20+ years of research put into this. All you can do from scratch is write a shitty conv net, try solving the gradient after 3 layers. If you want to "implement by hand" you first need to write a gradient calculating engine which will take you months or years and will still be shitty.

>painted nails
into the trash

>couple of days
>MNIST

lolwut

pls no bully, i have the stupids

Attached: 1527346995749.gif (487x560, 898K)