/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: friendlylinuxthread-mina-edition.webm (1920x1080, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.ubuntu.com/
packages.debian.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Xfce
knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/4677
linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Commands
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_attention_key
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What is the best linux distro for a home media server?
Ubuntu Server is actually a pretty decent choice. You get a minimal install and it's easy to get a ffmpeg version which can handle transcoding of all the format's you'd want.

It doesn't matter that much if you're not into transcoding. Setting up samba for file sharing works the same across all the distributions.

Where is a good place to find FOSS webapps or web templates? Like NodeBB, or a wiki, or an imageboard. I'm looking for stuff to throw up on my VPS.

there's no single website with anything like that which I am aware of

however, you can actually install quite a few of them from your distrubtion's repo. if you're using fedora you can just dnf -y install mediawiki and it will install php and all the required dependencies and so on for you. it kind of depends on what you're looking for.

thanks for the info man. I'll search for a ffmpeg version

Bummer. Well, thanks. I'll poke around the repos.

I want to BE the arrow

>enjoy GTK apps looking like trash without serious configuration
You mean serious configuration as in setting one config file or using a simple program?

Not sure what's so serious about having a $HOME/.confg/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and a $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0

is there a TUI for bluetooth like nmtui for networkmanager? i've googled but couldn't really find anything

Attached: nmtui.png (290x174, 4K)

so are there effectively 2 kinds of distro (stable vs rolling updates)?

i'm currently in the process of digitizing all my family's VHS home videos. got a nice quality VCR, recording lossless video/audio with ffmpeg and an Intensity Pro, and made an avisynth script to deinterlace and upscale the videos so that they can live on forever in digital form.

only thing I haven't decided yet is what container and video/audio encoder to use for the final output. I want it to be small enough to pass the entire collection around on USB drives, but I don't want to step on the quality too much.

I'll probably stick with x264 and MP4 since that's standard I guess, but what audio codec?

I can't see the ongoing process of a HDD being formatted in Ubuntu (15.04)?

First of all, upgrade to a version that's not 4 years old. Secondly, you didn't even post how you're formatting it, using which tool.

does ubuntu actually have newer packages even when compared to debian unstable branch?
i saw some post floating on the internet claiming that ubuntu have newer versions of packages than debian unstable

Rolling vs versioning
Stable (LTS) vs testing (bleeding edge)
Binary vs source

packages.ubuntu.com/
packages.debian.org/

I unironically installed Gentoo. What are some things to enhance my experience? Currently recompiling GCC with PGO for faster compiling.

Why is running tremc or stig on a machine considered to be "remote access" when they're just terminal torrent programs, not running remotely any more than the gtk is?
I've only been able to get either of them working by allowing remote access to 9091 on transmission-gtk, but then when I close it they are barred again. nc -l 9091 appears to start an open-ended process in the terminal, but doesn't let them access the port.
Port and network documentation for linux seems to mostly consist of obscure comments from 2015 that amount to saying "do this thing" to very specific questions.

does Jow Forums use a custom or modded kernel like liquorix or xanmod? is it measurably worth for you?

Just installed arch. What browser should I use? Thinking of using brave.

Are there any benefits in manually compiling your kernel?

I decided to install Firefox and when I run “sudo pacman -S firefox” it comes up with “there are 10 providers available for rtf-font:”

Which one do I pick and what does it mean?

Meant ttf-fonts. Please help quick.

you know that thing gnome 3 does, when you press the windows key, it zooms out all of your windows and puts them next to eachother and you can click one and that one get's brought up to the top?
can you do that on windows? obviously not natively, but is there some kind of a program or tweaker that does this?

You can apply your own patches.

xubuntu (18.04) how do I enable/change scaling? not just fucking font but actual scaling of GUI/launchers/taskbar

>can you do that on windows? obviously not natively
win+tab or alt+tab
yes, natively...

i mean, it's fine but it's not the same, that feature is probably the main reason i still use linux

When I use fdisk in Ubuntu I get a list of all these loop partitions, wtf are they? What's the best program to partition where I don't have to see this mess?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-06 13-00-44.png (554x841, 147K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-06 13-06-57.png (585x417, 92K)

Try this wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Xfce

Ubuntu freezes Debian unstable, which makes it comparable to Debian testing.

How can one figure file encoding?
I tried various terminal and online utils, checking every fucking preset possible in vim and notepad++ and nothing works. I ended up writing a script that replaces moonrunes with correct characters, but since it's all handpicked I can't say that 100% of characters are covered by that. Any better ideas? The language is Polish btw; I'm replacing characters on the left with those on the right
s(ubstitute)///g(lobally) in case someone's not familiar with the syntax.
#!/bin/sh

sed '
s/3/ł/g;
s/£/Ł/g;
s/1/ą/g;
s/¯/Ż/g;
s/œ/ś/g;
s/Œ/Ś/g;
s/æ/ć/g;
s/¿/ż/g;
s/ê/ę/g;
s/ñ/ń/g;
s/Ÿ/ź/g;
'

fdisk -l

Oh ffs, I mean to post this one in /sqt/ instead. Sorry.

No problem, nobody got hurt.

Does anyone know how to get an nvidia driver on kernel 5.0.0-13? I'm using nouveau for hardware acceleration but I'm seeing a performance regression in applications such as Blender and Godot compared to my old setup... Maybe I just have to sit tight for new driver?

How can I stream my desktop to my friends? Wire has screen-share function, but apparently it recognizes 1 xserver as 1 screen; I'd rather pick a single window/screen to share. Also, 720p is not that great.

It sounds like you have text that is written in the Windows-1250 encoding (Central European) which is interpreted as Windows-1252 (Western). You can either tell Notepad++ to load them in the proper character set, or (in case you installed an English instead of a Polish version of Windows) change the system locale to Polish to change the ANSI codepage to that of other Polish users.
knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/4677

Attached: polish.webm (640x480, 673K)

I'm installing debian. What DE/WM should I install. with it?I've tried a few window managers in the past (i3,awesome) but didn't exactly like it. But I'm willing to give another try if need arises.

OBS and whatever streaming service you prefer, twitch, youtube, smashcast, chaturbate, whatever.

GNU Linux-libre 5.1-gnu
linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/

Attached: 1557152965759.png (626x612, 74K)

Woah. Thank you based wizard-kun. May I ask how did you find the encoding out?
>change the system locale to Polish to change the ANSI codepage to that of other Polish users
What the fuck. Good thing this one works too:
iconv -f="Windows-1250" -t="utf-8" file -o outfile

I don't want it to be publicly accessible. I wonder if any of mentioned would allow me to stream a pgp encrypted stream. Probably no, but may be worth trying if there's no other option.

blacklist nouveau
install nvidia-dmks
get rid of any nouveau specific configs in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
reboot

people won't just randomly join your stream unless you put yourself in the public categories
also nobody gives a shit about you quit being so paranoid

I just installed Arch with Openbox standalone WM. How do I make the font rendering not look like ass.

Attached: 1557028654663.jpg (250x231, 6K)

*dkms

Don't you have any DE/WM you liked in the pass? Anyway I would go with xfce but that's my personal choice.

>May I ask how did you find the encoding out?
Windows-1252/ISO-8859-1 is the most common 8-bit encoding besides UTF-8 out there, so if things turn into mojibake it's likely text is interpreted as such.

Install a font that doesn't look like ass and then refer to the "Font configuration" wiki page (as well as "Java Runtime Environment fonts" if you're using Java applications) for fine-tuning.

Probably enable anti aliasing on obconf or install the font settings software from lxde or change the config file for fonts in your home directory(i don't remember which).
Anything that is not gnome, I like Xfce.

I'm using ubuntu + gnome right now. Need something less ram intensive. Are there any easy to use window managers that work right out of the box with no hassle?

Is there anyway to shrink an encrypted LVM partition? Gparted wont let me, no matter if I decrypt, activate, disactivate etc.
It isn't that important so, is it even worth it?

You need to find the dpi of your monitor adn set it in .Xdefaults
You will also need to change the fontconfig settings such as hinting and rgb
Look for the infinality config but dont install it since mainline absorbed the patches

Is it possible to record a part of my screen (ffmpeg x11 capture maybe?) and pipe it to /dev/video in a way that communicators will think it's my camera?

Use OBS

I have videos that were shot at 1440X2560.
I want to rotate/transpose these videos 90 degrees counter-clockwise/clockwise(i have this part done with -vf transpose).Doing this there is a very large portion of the video that is black on the sides
How do i get ffmpeg to cut these bars off?
I've tried autocrop but it fails due to text being on the side in some spots.
How do i crop properly?
All videos have the same resolution/dimension/VBR bit rate etc, the only change is the duration

Xfce, MATE and KDE(no joke, it uses half of gnomes ram)

I don't know anything like that desu. But xfce is fairly lightweight.If you want something lighter, you may try lxde. Beyond that, you may not find something lighter and work out of the box.

How? As far as I know it can only record and stream?

You should be able to setup a loopback video and push your desktop to that then use that device on the application you want to send from.
I know i did this with skype years ago with obs

There is copdetect you can use to get the positions, the crop as usual.

Just a reminder that if ram usage is your concern, you should also use lightweight programs.

cropdetect*
then*

ffmpeg -i hot_trap.mp4 -t 1 -vf cropdetect -f null - 2>&1 | awk '/crop/ { print $NF }' | tail -1

which web browser?

I''ve tried that but there is white text on the top left, top right, and bottom right of the videos, and the cropdetect just gives m 1440:2560:0:0 every time

I also used that exact command you posted

Midori works well for me.

Hi I am getting into webdevelopment, what is a good wireframing software for linux, the type of software that you can use to make a layout for a website's ui?

Attached: 47250096_2243837822292933_8512753930906632192_n.jpg (960x720, 205K)

Can someone explain to me what the point of alt+sysreq+k is? Every time that I use it, it causes my system to break so badly that I have to REISUB and isn't alt+sysreq+k the same as the RE part of REISUB?

Worst of all, I often press it when I mean to do alt+sysreq+f. Is there a command that I should be following alt+sysreq+k up with?

pen & paper, anything that lets you sketch an idea, the rest is just living inside Vim/Emacs and clack away

thx homie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Commands
>Kill all processes on the current virtual console (can kill X and SVGALib programs, see below)
>This was originally designed to imitate a secure attention key
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_attention_key

elapsed_secs=4444
date -d "0 ${elapsed_secs} seconds" +'thing took %-H hours and %-M minutes' |
sed -Ee 's/\b(1 \w+)s\b/\1/g'
im very proud of this workaround to make it say "1 hour" instead of "1 hours"

How would I keep my pc from idling without caffeine? Caffeine would probably be easier but this can't be that complicated to do without that right?

And how's that distinct from SIGKILL?

Is the difference just "kill basically everything" vs "kill everything on the current virtual console"? If that's the case, then I'm going to have to ask what a virtual console is.

>then I'm going to have to ask what a virtual console is.

If you are this new to Linux you shouldn't be messing with SysReq. You're really going to break something.

I'll have to try this, will report results. Kept getting a kernel panic/soft reboot when installing 418/430 versions from nvidia website or apt.

Attached: 1556827543224.jpg (640x794, 57K)

Does Ubuntu fuck with keyboard shortcuts? Every source that I've read says that ctrl+alt+F1 should send me to a terminal, but it just logs me out.

What else am I supposed to do when something crashes? I know that it's my fault for using Ubutnu and its crappy version of GNOME, but I've not found the time to install something better.

A virtual console is the "terminal" looking thing you get when you hit CTRL+Fx in GNU/Linux.

+Alt

Then why can I use it when I'm not in any sort of terminal? Hell, should I be using it when I'm not in any sort of terminal? And if not, what should I be using instead? I've heard of ctrl+alt+backspace, but I'm fairly sure that just reboots me.

cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq outputs 1, but alt+sysreq+h does nothing. What's going on?

>it logs me out
Try CTRL+Alt+F2 then. You usually get lots if virtual consoles. On noobuntu vt1 is where everything starts, vt7 where x loads, on the others you can fuck around.

Does nothing. My first working one is F3.

Ctrl+Alt+backspace is disabled in Ubuntu, don't bother trying.

I want to say that I enabled it, but I don't want to risk it right now.

It just kills Xorg.

What card do you have? If its old you might have hit a version cap and need a specific tree to proceed

That would also kill my running programmes, wouldn't it?

Yep, if started in X.

You could also fix the problem so that you don't have to reisub.

>What else am I supposed to do when something crashes?

What are you doing when "something" crashes? There might be something causing it that can be fixed so it stops causing problems. Is it a specific program or the entire OS? Is there ever an error message?

I don't understand. My complaint is that pressing alt+sysreq+k fucks my system so hard that I need to REISUB. This is independent of whether or not my system was already fucked.

You're right, I should've been more clear. I'm talking about when the system lags so hard that it doesn't even let you move your mouse and all of the graphical shit like the clock stops showing any signs of life. Usually this is a result of a program eating a lot of memory. For example, I once caused such a situation by trying to play a game in a windows VM whilst the Ubuntu host machine was trying to use a browser without an ad blocker.

>My complaint is that pressing alt+sysreq+k fucks my system so hard that I need to REISUB

Then stop doing it? Why are you even using SysRq at all? Those key sequences are suppose to be a last resort.

Okay then. How much RAM are you giving to the VM? It sounds like the VM is using too much RAM and you're running out of swap leaving your machine nothing left to work with. How much RAM does your machine have and how much is the VM allocated?

>Then stop doing it?
I will. That's why I posted , because I don't understand what the point of alt+sysreq+k is. Although 's answer suggests that I'm never going to be in a context where its appropriate.

And hey - I did mention that I usually press it by accident.

>Why are you even using SysRq at all? Those key sequences are suppose to be a last resort.
What should be my first resort? Ctrl+alt+F1 did nothing and I've only just learned that I should probably be using ctrl+alt+F3. Should I make a note of ctrl+alt+backspace?

Don't worry about that. It was just one example. I know that I should be careful with how hard VMs can push my system.

Okay, if the VM was just one example the next thing I'm curious about is what version of Ubuntu are you using? There have been a LOT of problems reported with 19.04. A lot of strange issues have been cropping up with it and many have had stability issues. It seems like it was released too early and not tested very well.