New A485 Ryzen 5 Pro

Should I?

Attached: 1127272_1.jpg (1200x900, 51K)

Well?

>Lenovo
Didn‘t you learn anything?

I'll pick one up, been looking to get a laptop for a while now.

Buy something with Intel + Nvidia.

>14nm Zen
y tho

I was hoping to get away from Intel ME
So i should use intel after all? Wut

t420 thats your only anwser

2500U A485 here, AMA

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 279K)

Why windows

No, T60 is the only answer. Install Libreboot, replace wireless card, and run GuixSD.
Because he's a pajeet.

Because it's not a T480

AMD has their own version of ME.

>Contact
Isnt intel more malicious? They have spectre and meltdown and they are jews

Spectre affects more than just Intel and even more than just x86. So AMD is also affected by Spectre. The AMD equivalent of ME is PSP, which is also malicious.

I'd genuinely think about one, but everything i've heard said the screen is fucking garbage (Poor QC, max brightness can vary between 220-290nits), if it had a decent 300-400 nit screen it might be worth considering.

How's gaming, thermals, have you tried the hacks to increase the thermal threshold from 15 to 25 watt?

>gaming

Attached: games.png (1000x1000, 418K)

>thinkpad
>lenovo
>gaming
really?
pic unrelated

Attached: maus_body.jpg (1000x730, 177K)

Oh i'm sorry, you have big boy business laptops for doing business things every hour you have them powered on. Can't spare a minute to watch videos, chat or play games.

God I hate wintoddlers.

Thinkpads are not gaming laptops
Lenovo has a type called Legion which is designed for gaming
Thinkpad is for work
Ideapad is for home
So they say

user.... when we want to have fun we turn the laptop off, go outside, with our families, friends, drinking, partying, doing healthy activities.

Not hunched over a 14" laptop display in the dark playing children's games.

>How's gaming, thermals, have you tried the hacks to increase the thermal threshold from 15 to 25 watt?

Thermals are fine (~70 celsius on software before hitting power limits), but the chip is limited to 12 watts by Lenovo so it's expected. The entire laptop base constantly feels warm though, which is unlike my Intel laptops.

I don't game on the laptop, or rather on any of my devices. My A485 is still running single channel RAM (1 stick) so I don't expect the Vega 8 to be much faster than a UHD 620 anyway.

I have not tried to increase the thermal threshold due to the comparatively hot laptop base and exhaust, and also to maintain good battery life (mine's the 97Wh combined option). Battery life is only decent, but again my Intel laptops have 45Wh and 51Wh batteries so their battery life aren't stellar either.

Don't bother with Linux on this device however, at least for now.

Gpu-let cope
Some of us have a gaming desktop in addition to a trannylaptop

Grow up.

Have sex.

I am having sex right now, since I am not a manchild wintoddler gamer pajeet.

Atually im using gnu/linux
What you call linux is actually gnu/linux, linux is just a kernel

I just say "the GNU operating system".

What's the screen 200nits lol

300 i think
Professionals use the term candela. I dont even know what a nit is

I'm going to college and I need a new laptop, which thinkpad should I get?

Yes, just steer clear of the "E" line.
I thought they were gonna make the new AMD ones have T in them, might as well wait for 7nm.
is it any good? :^)
You can disable. And its not nearly as bad. No int

No, AMD is only affected by two variants of spectre, both of which require physical access to the machine.

This but unironically.

Why not a desk mini instead? It's a super small USFF barebones smaller than the box the 2400G APU comes in and costs just as much.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 143K)

something something egpu something something
Dialate
t

>Yes, just steer clear of the "E" line.
>I thought they were gonna make the new AMD ones have T in them, might as well wait for 7nm.

They literally renamed the A series to T series for AMD's non-E lineup. The A series had always been reusing the T4xx chassis or the X2xx chassis. Still unsure about Thunderbolt so it may still be a disappointing product.

Also, The Ex80/Ex85 models are actually better in quality from previous E series. The Ex80 models are Mil Spec tested, if that means anything to you.

>is it any good? :^)

It's just a laptop. Mine has touchscreen and that's about it. No substantial difference from Intel laptops if you run Windows. Linux is another story.

>You can disable. And its not nearly as bad. No int

You can't on the A485, or in fact on most motherboards/laptops. You can however run ME_Cleaner on a T480, and ME is crippled substantially. Also, the PSP BIOS disable option only prevents the OS from interacting with the PSP, but PSP is still operational back-end. I would prefer ME_Cleaner to using Ryzen as ME_Cleaner actually works(most of the time) whereas PSP is "just there".

OP /might/ need Ryzen Pro for management. The motherboard must be carefully configured(by the manufacturer) to make the "Pro" features to work--you cannot just slap a AM4 Ryzen Pro chip onto a random A320/B450/X470 motherboard. IIRC even the Asus Crosshairs cannot support the "Pro" features in Ryzen Pro properly. Of course there are tiny HP Prodesks/Elitedesks with Ryzen Pro in them, but that's another story altogether.