Does i3wm has a memory leak or something?

does i3wm has a memory leak or something?
After letting my computer on for several hours it starts getting slow and stalls like it's being hit by a forkbomb.
So much for muh lightweight window manager.

Attached: I3_window_manager_logo.png (97x93, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i3wm.org/docs/debugging.html
i3wm.org/docs/layout-saving.html
dwm.suckless.org/patches/fibonacci/
dwm.suckless.org/tutorial/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which distro?

arch.
And I sue vanilla i3, not i3 gap.

i can tell for sure it's not gentoo.

i3 is objectively the worst tiling wm out there. Just switch.

Post log.

i3 is only using 41Mb of RAM and my system has been up for 2 days so no?

$ i3 --version
i3 version 4.16.1 (2019-01-27) © 2009 Michael Stapelberg and contributors

which ones? (I hard rebooted my computer anyway because it became virtually unusable)

Yeah, I'm gonna try EXWM when I get time to figure out how to config it.
but I liked how i3 was a "battery included" type of deal.

>which ones?
i3wm.org/docs/debugging.html

care to explain why? thinking about switching to a tiling wm

$ uptime
12:09:30 up 12 days

Hasn't gotten any slower.

OK. I'm gonna add this to my xinitrc and check it whenever this issue happens again.

But I had this issue on two of my computers (both running arch with vanilla i3) so I think there's something wrong.
Or maybe I'm just a total pleb considering some people don't encounter the issue.
Also I recall seeing a similar complain to mine on the emacs surbreddit.

Not him, but I generally don't like manual tiling. It actually adds mental overhead, defeating the entire purpose if a tiling wm (which is not, as many believe, tiling in itself, but automatic window placement).
I much prefer automatic tiling. Anyone who has been using tiling wms for a while will usually notice they tend to use more or less a few distinct layouts for different tasks, and being able to define them, and have the wm itself arrange them instead of doing it yourself is a big plus. After using dwm for a few months, I switched to xmonad and I never looked back.

Attached: 0269206f8bea552bfdf4e2a24d303cc9.jpg (1252x1992, 1.29M)

its popular, easy to use, easy to configure, sane defaults.
anything that Jow Forums doesnt want.

just use dwm

if I were to use something else I would either go back to openbox or embrace the full emacs meme with EXWM

works on my machine TM

i3wm.org/docs/layout-saving.html

>having to manually set the direction every time before splitting
>sane defaults

>does i3wm has a memory leak or something?
no

finally someone who gets it

I know about that, and that's not even close to being the same thing I'm describing.

thats not a default user because it cant be changed, its a design decision.
also you only have to set it when you want to change the direction.

you are hard to understand user please try to explain it again

i have used xmonad before and was not a fan of the config but thats a personal problem

dwm.suckless.org/patches/fibonacci/
dwm best wm

The main difference is that "saving the layout" in i3 simply means saving a _static_ layout, that is, you open up the workspace, and you find windows arranged in a certain way. While you can define this behavior with great accuracy, You generally can't (at least in vanilla i3, I don't know about possible forks that allow this) define new ways to determine how new windows will be split.
For example, in the popular master/stack layout introduced by dwm, you have a master area (usually placed on the left, and slightly horizontally larger) and a stack area, on the right, which, as the name implies, stacks on windows. You can swap windows from the master area to the stack area with a single key combination while keeping the layout intact, and increase/decrease the windows in the master area to your liking. New windows will immediately appear on the master area, so, if you have a file manager on the master area, and open a pdf file, the pdf reader immediately opens up in the master area, large and already in an optimal position for reading, while the file manager gets stacked. This behavior is simply not obtainable with i3, which always forced me to move and rearrange windows all the time.
Now, I'm not saying you're a faggot for using i3 and not using what I use, but these are some of the reasons why I find i3 inferior to other window managers.
Oh, and notice how I never brought up muh minimalism: I don't give a shit about it, I'm talking from a purely functional point of view. If, after trying out other wms, you conclude that they are all shit and i3 really is better for you fine, but the way it woks is not optimal for everyone.

Attached: c5746946bf3da42ecdabe8e7ac3526bff3f0e8a0.png (1040x1670, 1.29M)

Attached: 2019-05-06-051653_809x146_scrot.png (809x146, 25K)

not that user but the layout you described is something i do manually on i3 often.
how easy/tedious is xmonad (in all aspects) and why isn't it more popular?

>how easy/tedious is xmonad (in all aspects)
Easier and less tedious in every single aspect, assuming you aren't brain-dead and are able to follow simple instructions on setting up your config.
>why isn't it more popular
It's decently popular and has been around for a long time. If you meant to ask why it isn't more popular specifically here, then that's obviously because it doesn't have youtube videos aimed at kids/retards/newcomers who just don't know any better and will use anything suggested and spoonfed to them.

>tiling
there's your issue

Once again, that's not the same thing: dwm.suckless.org/tutorial/
When you open up a new window, it doesn't immediately pop up in the master area, it simply splits, either horizontally or vertically.

The master/stack layout and splitting mode is the default (with slight variations) on dwm, xmonad and awesome, and possibly more I don't know about. You technically can do it manually on i3, but here is the catch: _manually_. Why not have the wm do it for you instead?
As for how easy/tedious xmonad is, it's pretty easy if you know Haskell, but even if you don't, you can easily learn what you need on the fly (it really feels almost like a configuration file with its own syntax, and I started learning Haskell _after_ switching to xmonad), and there are already lots of modules for almost everything. And unlike, say, dwm, it has proper module support and not retarded patches, so you can literally just import what you want, add it to your source (config) file, and recompile and restart it in place, in the same fashon you can with i3.
And why isn't it more popular, you ask? In my opinion, probably because it's written in Haskell. This scares off both people (generally non-programmers) who are intimidated by Haskell, having a reputation for being a hard language, and programmers who believe anything not written in C is shitty bloated garbage. But if you try it with an open mind, you'll probably like it. It was historically one of the first tiling wms to handle multi-monitor really well.

Attached: 8472929i.jpg (425x600, 66K)

well now it makes sense. Haskell. I just don't have the time between work and studying.
do you -need- haskell to be productive in it or is it just one of those "if you want to write your own thingy, learn it".

what do you guys think of awesomeWM?

Does i3wm has a memory leak.
First english pajeet.

Just having fullscreen window with xmonad is a headache.

"it works on my machine". Which fullscreen windows are you having trouble with?

In the past full screen window were not natively supported by xmonad. Did it change?

It is admittedly more complicated than it should because, by default, xmonad doesn't advertise fullscreen window manager hints. This is because of an old issue with Flash which really isn't that important now, and imho should be changed.
Luckily, you can advertise them manually. This is a possible solution.
fullscreenFix c = c { startupHook = startupHook c
setSupportedWithFullscreen }

setSupportedWithFullscreen = withDisplay $ \dpy -> do
r

I just use this module for fullscreen support.
import XMonad.Layout.Fullscreen (fullscreenSupport)

I use this fix for sxiv too, but mpv worked just fine for me even without it.

I will stay with i3.

ditto

thought I'd ask this here, does anyone know of any extentions/plugins/patches or even just configuration for any WM to "peek" into a different workspace by temporarily lowering the opacity of the current workspace and then showing the workspace you want to peek into underneath it?

Sometimes it's too jarring to switch back and forth between workspaces when I just want to look up a quick reference and keep working

Can't help you directly. Why don't you keep your reference sheet and work program tiled in the same workspace. Isn't that the very advantage of a tiling wm?

Never seen anything like this, but I _think_ you could achieve something similar by triggering an external compositor such as compton with a keystroke of your choice.

I agree with the posts in this thread.
I use i3 since half a year. It's great but it's true, I spend time moving windows around.
At the same time I can't see how it'd be possible to eliminate this, while at the same time retaining the freedom to set your windows up for any situation.

>linux
>desktop
smile.jpg

why have visible tiled windows on your desktop if the size and position makes them unusable? just iconify them

Anyone know how to get xrandr to work in config file?
right now I have
>exec_always --no-startup-id xrandr --output "DVI-I" --mode "640x360"
When it starts it is the wrong resolution but when I restart i3 it werks

Not enough screen space and even if I had a bigger screen or multiple monitors I would still prefer workspace switching like I do now than having to turn my head by even the slightest degree.

I'm happy with how I have things now, this is just a greedy luxury feature I want to make my multitasking experiences even better

Yea I've seen opacity key controls using compton but each workspaces are in their own separate space so you can't see through one into another but I think I can create this functionality myself in dwm, just checking if something already exists first. Thanks

Can anyone explain the benefits of using something like i3? It looks interesting but it seems like it'd bea huge time investment to learn it.

barely any time investment, it's dead simple, just use the arrows to switch your windows around in the arrangements, you can even your mouse to resize stuff if you hate learning keys

cont.
If you don't see any benefits for you then it probably won't give you any. But don't _not_ try it out because you think it looks hard if you're curious.

Mind sharing your xmonad.hs, out of curiosity?

When it comes to the automation/freedom of window placement it's a very personal matter. I had similar feelings to what you describe before switching from i3.
Try out a few other wms (especially those with automatic tiling, as opposed to manual) and see for yourself, you may come to the conclusion that automatic tiling can make up for it. Or, you can conclude it's shit, and come back to i3 more aware of its differences with respect to other wms and adapt your workflow to better suit its peculiarities.
If I were to use a manual tiling wm, right now I'd probably use ratpoison or stumpwm. One thing I really like about them is that, unlike most other wms, they support sequence commands, similar to the way Emacs does, which are much more comfortable to type for me.
I usually have so many commands set up in other wms that I have to press 4-5 keys at a time. Sequence commands are a blessing for such situations.

Attached: Jeanne-Alter-FateGrand-Order-Fate-(series)-Anime-4257885.png (1237x1780, 1.27M)

Is there any distro that comes with a preconfigured tiling WM so I don't have to set up shit like suspend on lid close, notifications, reconfiguring displays when I undock etc.?

Attached: 1485107322348.png (870x1020, 714K)

Manjaro has i3, openbox, awesome, and bspwm flavors but it's manjaro so I'd recommend just configuring it yourself on a better distro it's easy

I tried both (xmonad just for a short while) and kinda prefer manual tiling. It gives you opportunity to structurize browsing or whatever you're doing. I abuse tabs and stacks and make a tree-like structure of windows and focus (full-screen) the subtree I'm working in. I think something like i3 could be a good base on which you would make automated tiling containers/scripts (conceptually, you could make containers that tile their children automatically) but i3 itself is just a mass of ad-hoc code. However, I'm pretty sure that exposing the layout as a tree of containers is the right thing.

I want to make my own window manager some day. I'm actually collecting notes from using i3 and I think the ideas are slowly reaching maturity. I think I might switch to xmonad for a longer period of time to examine automatic tiling better. I'm considering implementing it in xmonad or making a new WM (basing on some library for Wayland because I sure don't want to implement all the shit myself). I examined xmonad for that and it would require some significant changes in code (the structure in which windows are held is hard-coded and I don't think I could avoid modifying it) so I'm not sure about it. Dumping X would also be nice. I might ask you guys for a logo if I ever get to it.

I do this in .xinitrc and it works on boot

So, a DE with a tiling WM?
You could use a lightweight DE like XFCE and just use a tiling WM with it. I'm sure someone tried that before and documented it on the internet.