How much does brand really matter when it comes to storage?

how much does brand really matter when it comes to storage?

Attached: 811juXBuTDL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1091, 120K)

brand doesn't, what matters is the controller on there, whether it has DRAM, and hopefully that it doesn't use QLC

Brands have a reputation to uphold and brands that nobody knows don't care what people think.

Whats wrong with QLC?

low endurance, low speed

Depends on the market.
In consumershit market it doesn't matter, everything is roughtly equally shitty. Get the cheap stuff with decent parameters. NOT chinkshit from aliexpress, mind you.
In enterprise brands actually matter and you generally get what you pay for, unless you fell for some meme bullshit.

WD makes shit tier SSD's. all value segment junk.

It matters, not whats on the SSD label but who made the nand chips and controller.

How much does losing your data unexpectedly matter?

Only their high end ones are good, their low end ones are sandisk rebrands.
But it would cheaper and better to buy Samsung at that point.

Go for it, trust all your data on it. I dare you.

Attached: Get what you pay for.png (1575x523, 265K)

It matters more the higher up the food chain you go. DRAM-less SSDs are pretty hard to fuck up. Once you have RAM + multiple types of storage + fancy controller logic, the manufacturer being able to ship reliable firmware and provide long term support is a big deal.

after a bunch of failures stopped buying anything other than western digital. never had a single failure since (decades)

ok, sorry, didn't see you ask for ssd, guess i'd stick with huge RAM manufacturers there.

Samsung for gayming
Samsung DC or Intel DC for servers
Avoid chinkshit entirely unless you don't care about your data

What if I used it as a cheap scratch/temp drive only?

I've been using S500 MLC drive for 3 years now

Then you'll have very reliably stored useless bullshit data.

*uses one of their blues right now*
*works good*

penis.

Wd blues (nvme) and black are bretty comfy desu

Actually bought two Kingdian 240GB TLC SSDs three years ago, installed them into a home PC for dualboot and they work.

I've heard Toshiba has lower failure rates on their HDDs than WD or Samsung. Is that true?

better options for the money

You forgot TCG OPAL

>Not RAID 0 10 of those drives for a superior super-NVMe storage speed experience

WD blue is SATA, black is nvme

500 GB NVME or 1 tb SATA?

The controller and chips matter, not who bought them from chinks/gooks and hired other bugmen to slap those together.

-Prefer: Jewtel, Samshit, WD Black/Blue, Crucial MX. Basically anything with 3D NAND, that sorta gives you a guarantee that other components aren't shit.
-"Just fine": WD Green, Crucial BX. These are reliable (by SSD standards) but not as fast as the others.
-Avoid: Chinkston

Source: I work fixing computers and holy shit chinkston drives are fucking garbage. They last 2 years tops before slowing the hell down and then going read only or just dying forever. Maybe one WD Green failed in the same space of time I had to replace fuckin tens of chinkston drives.
Samshit drives are overpriced af in my experience, so you should go for other brands instead. Intel in particular has the same if not better build quality while being cheaper.

old blues are SATA, new ones are DRAMless NVMe
fine for your parents but get their shit pushed in by the 970 EVO

Their SATA SSDs are X400 rebrands for cheaper, which is good.
Their WD Green ones are better than the sandisk SSD plus.

Their NVMe ones are really good but too expensive for the price.

>old blues are SATA, new ones are DRAMless NVMe
source

wd.com/products

With brands you get better QC and warranty. Otherwise if the parts inside are the same, the rest doesn't really matter.

Yes, for the lower storage drives.

Once you hit the 3 to 4TB range the failure rates go up.

Toshiba is my second favorite behind HGST, I have a 2TB drive in my desktop, and three canvio 1Tb drives.

Not really NAND used changes from brand to brand.
And while the same NAND can be used they could use different controllers.

Example ADATA uses Intel/Micron NAND but they use SM controllers instead.

>how much does brand really matter
brand doesn't matter. it's just a sticker slapped on 3rd party components assembled on 3rd party factories.

>Brand doesnt matter
Kingston says hi.

Read the post again.
>if the parts inside are the same

Oh, I was going to get a 4tb Toshiba. I just want something large I can put on my mATX motherboard and clean up my case, so that I'm not using 6 externals and 4 internal HDDs/SSDs.

brands make shit and good stuff, what matters is the model. the wd blue 3d and sandisk ultra 3d are literally the same and perform just like a samsung 860 evo.

??? kingston makes good products.

>Kingston makes good products
>SV300 and 400 don't exist
Next you are going to tell me OCZ SSDs were reliable.

ive had those since they first came to amazon and they had a super low launch price. 3 years later and no issues. I used that chinkpad pretty regularly too

the kingston uv500 is really good.

Nearly anything can be considered to 'work good' when you don't actually compare it to the better stuff.

I personally would go for 1TB sata, but that's because I'm mostly only concerned with gaymez. There are legitimate uses for nvme speeds, but none that I will take advantage of.

what's the failiure rate like on exos? instead of making a big raid i might just buy a few 24 tb drives and haev them inside the pc case

honestly, it's a crapshoot no matter what.

>tfw WD Greens in all my thinkpads

Attached: 483f62f255fcd97e0e12790621740ee3.png (720x1022, 284K)

I tried it on my laptop but it doesn't work after waking up from s3. Is there any real use for it in a personal computer?

It was discovered that some implementations didn't store the keys securely. You really can't trust it. Just use software encryption.

WD Green is absolutely based for the price and sufficient for most people. Got one for my mom's laptop and she's very happy with it.

Still using it faggot.
3 years and counting.