/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
"Ruined by the Australian shitposter" Edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

Please expand it, also don't use your real name or any password when you register. Preferable use cock.li or something anonymous. Or just email the admin with the username and password you want.

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

previous thread:

Attached: 1555085075488.jpg (1200x368, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bjsu5sFbMos
portforward.com/
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted#bookmarks-and-link-sharing
mozilla-services.readthedocs.io/en/latest/howtos/run-sync-1.5.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Samba is so fast and easy to setup!

Attached: samba_share_1.png (273x65, 3K)

I don't go too deep in server stuff but I have a thinkserver running sophos utm router/firewall, xpenology nas, and a raspberry pi running pi-hole. I'm happy with it

why nextcloud over owncloud?

>"Ruined by the Australian shitposter" Edition
what happened?

>how do I use Jow Forums archives

why does the pastebin suggest fdupes and dupeguru over the clearly superior jdupes?

>"Ruined by the Australian shitposter" Edition
Lmao, could you be any more pathetic and miserable?

Caught you again ban evading, see you in 3 days then.

I'm runnin a raspi as a reverse proxy to shit like jellyfin on my main box which I've got linked to my domain, can stream my shit from work now. Any other cool shit you guys attach to a website that you run?

Also if anyone has guides for web account systems that'd be great, got it p basic behind a password right now but something more robust would be nice

Attached: 1542359772173.gif (170x162, 188K)

Tiny Tiny RSS to keep up with the latest irrelevant shit.

I got my domain. How do I pimp it so I can access my shit from outside? I'm having a hard time with this port forwarding bullshit.

Dude I would help you, but there are a literal 1000 router models.

I just give you a guide that works on every GOOD router:

youtube.com/watch?v=bjsu5sFbMos

sudo apt install miniupnpc

>but I don't use linux
hehe tough luck xd

Attached: 52f8eaa4.jpg (900x890, 97K)

there's literally a guide for every router here
portforward.com/

your ISP might not allow inbound connections to your IP for all ports though. many block port 25 (mail servers) and port 80/443 (web servers).
I get to have a fun call with my ISP later today because they appear to block ALL ports inbound to my IP. Not paying $100 for their boutique fiber for that shit.

Use HTTPS and client certificates, so only you can access the site.

Bonus: if it is already encrypted your superiors cannot sniff the password over corporate net anyways.

Good practice is to not only use a password but also account names. Doubles the effort of brute force.

Do you need to forward ports if upnp is enabled?

okay let me abstract:
Upnp is your tool
issuing upnp commands is your method to tell the router to do shit
in this case you tell the router:

device_ip inside_port outside_port

(hey I might be wrong about the order here, but watch the video and learn)

What the fuck are you talking about? I just asked if it's the same thing as forwarding, I'm not even that user

Google and rephrase your question until it is not retarded anymore

You don't need to reply if you don't know the answer.

No need to spoonfeed if my time is more valuable :^^)

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Kind reminder that UPNP is dangerous and should be avoided. If you do use it post your IP here please, we will assess :^)

I've got basic auth via nginx going, but since I let some of my friends use the site too I don't have client certificates. I'd like to write a more sophisticated account/login system I just don't know where to start

I literally use a old Phenom II with Win7 pro as my server and you guys can't stop me!

I got this old cisco 2950 for $15, it's from 2004. Is it safe to use for my home network? I've gathered I should flash the firmware just to be sure nobody put some shady stuff on it. From what I can tell, there hasn't been much change in network switches, and at max it pulls about 30 watts so power efficiency doesn't leave much room for improvement.

Attached: ws-c2950t-24_u.jpg (1586x634, 118K)

Safe? Yes. The chances of a backdoor in a IOS image are almost inexistent and whoever used this switch before sure wasn't a target.

Bulky, noisy and slow as fuck (it's only 100Mbps)? Yes also.

But it's a perfect device for you to learn some IOS and switcing basics (VLANs, STP, etc)

>more sophisticated account/login system
Why? What is basic auth missing? Just keep in mind that basic auth is pretty simple and battle tested not like your self built system.

>100Mbit/s switch
>15 $
You got jewed.

I know this isn't entirely on topic, but any recommendations for a router for a UK connection on a BT line

thanks

I run a wireguard instance on my raspberry pi, it also has a 500gb wd passport hooked up to it so I backup some of my stuff on there via SFTP.

Should I get another one and set them up in a RAID 1 array? I'm a bit worried about the external hdd giving up on mesome day.

Does anyone run ZNC for irc? I'm trying to set it up on Debian 9 but I get "Unrecoverable config error" right after installation and initial config.

It's kind of frustrating that almost nothing seems to work as well as it should out of the box.

>Does anyone run ZNC for irc?
I was running one for a few years. Paste the full debug output please.

[ .. ] Checking for list of available modules...
[ >> ] ok
[ .. ] Opening config [/home/admin/.znc/configs/znc.conf]...
[ !! ] ZNC is already running on this config.
[ ** ] Unrecoverable config error.

Running znc --debug just prints this. Very frustrating

>[ !! ] ZNC is already running on this config.
Is there allready znc process running? ps aux | grep znc? Maybe with systemd?

Non-OP here
Owncloud is loldead and the original dev moved to Nextcloud

any good bookmarks server that you guys recomend? i dont use the firefox sync bullshit, and i want something i can host and sync it to whatever firefox/machine i'm using

Attached: 943.jpg (1366x768, 1010K)

Just use TeamViewer lmao

I have tried killing the process and starting it again, but it always gives the same "Unrecoverable config error"

github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted#bookmarks-and-link-sharing

i heard good things about this:
mozilla-services.readthedocs.io/en/latest/howtos/run-sync-1.5.html

What's the verdict on external enclosures? Also, is it better to keep a drive spinning or to spin it down, provided you're not spinning it up again frequently?

Attached: 51vy1fQ5q4L._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 56K)

Im looking to set up a NAS/Plex server out of an old FM2 motherboard.
I can get a Athlon X4 760K for $40 and a GT710 for $40 or i can buy a A10-6800K for $90. What would be the better option for hardware accelerated encoding?

onwcloud is dead.

Best way to get started in a homelab? Pretty much whats the easiest so I can get a taste.

imagine not having unlimited storage (using more than 20TB right now) from google and mounting it, encrypted, with rclone

I need a tldr on SIP proxing, need this shit to listen on three IPs and rewrite stuff accordingly.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_shion_mirudakemann__75e88415cbb408ec38c78ae5ddb553fd.jpg (3996x2250, 864K)

I've been looking at various options to upload my media of about 20TB for plex onto the cloud. But I am unsure how plex would do with encrypted content that needs decrypting on the fly.

>ban evading
Are you a complete idiot?

The first step is to have too many computers. At that point you have to decide whether to have them each doing a different job like my noob self, or go the patrician route of making them all do the same job together. I think the next step after getting too many computers is to get them able to all send files to each other. Put a different episode of your favorite show in each computer's storage, and then watch them all from a different computer like your laptop.

Should I be installing a fan to cool my HDDs?

Does it get restarted with systemd? There may is a lock file i need to check in my old backups.

Depends on the encryption setup, most schemes I've seen offload it to either a filesystem or hardware level, so Plex doesn't notice anything other than the filesystem performing a bit differently on account of the decryption overhead. I'm curious why you want to pay for 20TB of hot access content on the could when it would be cheaper (and more fun) to host it locally on self encrypting disks and back it up to cheap long term cloud storage.

How hot are they? Above 40C they probably should have a fan, otherwise they are fine as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate a lot.

Is there a way to check what run command I used to setup a docker container? It's working great but I'm moving to a different system soon and was wondering if I can just find out the commands I used

I don't know, I haven't built my server yet.

What generally causes them to heat up? Heavy writes?

Set up a NAS. It doesn't have to be nice, but learn how to store files on a different machine, and control this machine remotely over ssh. A typical homelab is good for two things: storing and serving files, and doing computations. Everything else facilitates these two activities. If you can't imagine anything to compute off the top of your head, you are out of luck in that department, so start with storing and serving files. Build a shitty NAS to store movies on, then you can get a taste for where to go next. After building my NAS, I built a virtualization server to host game servers and a Plex transcode server that connected to the NAS. Everything since than has been built on the back of what I learned setting that up.

There's a flag for docker ps that does this.

Cool, thanks

Much of the heat is from the motor, with a bit more during reads or writes. 7200rpm drives get hot, 5400rpm don't as much. As long as there is decent airflow over the drive it shouldn't be too bad. Check the documentation for your hard drives to see how many watts they are, >7W probably needs a fan kind of nearby to at least agitate the air near the drive. It's kind of a wash either way as the drives can take pretty high heats as long as the temps don't fluctuate a lot, while at the same time getting a fan can't hurt.

kek

Thanks. Sounds like Seagate drives need them more than WD.

I'm looking to get into virtualisation, is Proxmox a good starting point?