>2019
>still cannot install printer quickly on loonix

Yea, GNU/Loonix is free as in freedom

Attached: D6881D60-C291-47DE-83E8-80A62E2E48D8.jpg (3959x2227, 791K)

>2019
>still cannot poo in the loo
fuck off appleshill

cope

Funny, because GNU began with a printer. RMS was annoyed about not having access to the schematics and source code of a printer that MIT bought.

>go to manufacturer site
>Downplays script
>Run
Easy

See, printers are evil, they turn people in commies

> Go to printers in settings
> Press "add printer"
> Automatically detects printer and installs necessary drivers
Even my mom could do this. Tried and worked the same on Linux Mint and Manjaro Cinnamon edition.

I've never had to do this; never had a printer not just work by being physically present in Ubungo

literally under 5 seconds
driver default settings are shit though

I plugged my HP Deskjet into my Ubuntu desktop and it automatically installed drivers and control software. It prints fast and works great.
My only issue with printing and Linux is that no printer seems to have the ability to report ink levels.
What the fuck is up with that shit?

>uses GNU/Linux
>buys printer which doesn't support linux
>blames linux, that printer manufacturers doesn't support linux
please go back to windows or macOS

Don’t worry, it always shows false results anyway.

>2019
>still cannot use bing to look for "command to install linux drivers for printer"
>copy
>paste
OH GOD, THE HASSLE!!1!

Fuck off, underage.

Even expensive consumer printers don't have ink level sensors, they don't even calculate ink used for your prints based on the files you printed (the page coverage could be trivially calculated, and thus ink used), they just assume ink container is good for X pages and do the 'estimate' based on that.

Thanks, I didn't know that

If you have IPv6 and IGMP working it will install itself, otherwise all you have to do is point to the IP address of the printer and it will figure it out. I have never had to run an installer package for a printer on Linux.

>2019
>already can install loonix quickly on printer
thanks technology

Attached: 1483661847118.jpg (253x229, 48K)

This. Most stuff autodetects and works. The usual reason it doesn't is when you run a meme distro that makes you do everything manually so you can then bitch about having to do everything manually. That or because you have a printer that isn't well supported in Linux.

That said, Windows 10 still has better printer support. I do a fresh install and just on its own it discovers my printer across the network, sets it up and sets it as the default printer.

seething

Wow you're quite an expert. Teach me how to read Wikipedia like you can!

Attached: 1535495741091.jpg (700x519, 74K)

I've had more problems trying to connect a Mac to a given printer than anything running Linux

Remember to thanks Apple for Linux printing

Attached: 8012739_R_Z001A.jpg (750x440, 17K)

Printers are obsolete technology and do not belong on Jow Forums

It's 2019 just email a PDF

Problem I usually have printing from Linux is it's fuckslow.

Attached: 56431137_466154113925892_5621832211630683163_n.jpg (640x640, 79K)

>Installing Printer software
What a hilarious waste of space
I Literally just email the document to my envy's address

Attached: get-a-load-of-this-guy-39156692.png (500x626, 302K)

>2019
>printer

Attached: 1536720884334s.jpg (250x191, 6K)

Who hurt you?

What kind of shithole country you live in where you can get printers without CUPS support?
This boards desperately needs flags to spook the subhumans.

fuck off my wifi printer worked first attempt on dindubuntu

I went and picked up the quickest printer that used Toner at Walmart. I literally just connected it via USB, and it worked. No complaints.

My HP printer gets detected on the network and setup during install even on freakin debian (non-free).

>this stale meme again
It's funny because I've had better luck in GNU plus Linux when it comes to printers than in MS Windows. It's always just plug-in and go in most distros. In Windows though, half the features don't work unless you download the manufacturer's spyware and even then, it's a buggy mess, especially when it comes to wireless printing.

Printers have just werked for me for years thanks to CUPS

in some ways having the proprietary printer connection in the old breadbox days was actually easier

>proprietary printer connection
You mean the standardized parallel port that was useful for much more than just printers?

Remember to thank BSD for Apple macOS

Attached: Bsd_daemon.jpg (150x158, 23K)

first time i installed linux back in 2004, one of the first things that surprised me was how easy it was to install my printer
literally just plugged in the parallel port and it was detected by the add printer dialog, just werked

Not him but it's also expanded upon in the start of the book "Free as in Freedom", that's where I learned about it

And NextSTEP.

Remember to thank BSD for NeXTSTEP

Why? It didn't exist when NextSTEP was created.

It certainly did

Attached: file.png (1280x887, 169K)

Not as we know it today. BSD from the 90s isn't the same as the original BSD.

>please go back to windows or macOS
>macOS
Are you retarded? CUPS is Apple, CUPS runs on Linux. Basically every Printer in existence runs with CUPS

>BSD isn't BSD because the BSD you're talking about is a predecessor of the BSD I'm thinking of

Yes. Just as OS X is not the same as classic Mac OS. Almost totally re-written.

If the printer works on MacOS, it will work on Linux because it was Apple that made CUPS, shithead.

Regardless NeXTSTEP wouldn't exist as we know it and in turn neither would OS X without whatever your autistic ass wants to call BSD 4.3

Okay, just don't get cocky posting the hug demon again in relation to that.

I never posted any mascots
>hug demon
Beasties a generic mascot for all of the BSDs. FreeBSD's logo is the orb

Then don't jump into conversations where you don't belong.

Public imageboard, I'll jump in where I please.

Then don't be surprised when you get confused for someone else when you impersonate someone else.

I never claimed to be anyone else; you merely assumed so. This is not a private discussion, user. For all you know I'm not even the same person you replied to in the post this post is replying to.

When you join a chain of responses you are assuming the role of the Other. Don't be shocked when the Real expands your Will to Power.

Shut up, faggot

>printer
what the fuck? i never used that shit since 1998

Man, its almost as if people outside of your age group exists and uni does too

>minix 1.x listed as open source
minix was shared source before 2000

not him, but i figured schools would have become basically paperless by this point
still not there yet?

Is it even worth owning a printer at all these days?
Cartridges are, and have always been crazy expensive, and they usually go to shit if you don't use them often enough.
I just use the printer at work for the relatively rare occasions I do print something. No point in having one home.

>dealing daily with printers through transports (sap) because of fucked up customer setup
kill me

Attached: 1554164329318.png (629x1173, 131K)

i just email all my documents to my windows VM
haha

Definitely not