/spg/ - Smartphone General

Phone of the Year Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: OnePlus-7-Pro-1557147994-0-0.png (1543x919, 616K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YdtBnjX_PXM
youtu.be/BsHtfLh6azw
gizmochina.com/2019/05/06/redmis-first-snapdragon-855-flagship-could-be-called-the-redmi-k20-pro/
youtube.com/watch?v=DM2eW9Xe4Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone got experience with the Mi Mix 3's battery? I'm tempted to wait for the 5G but I hate the $675 price point. Normal MM3 just seems to have way too small a battery to support the larger screen size even with the more efficient SD.

I'm coming from an Honor 8 for reference, so I want to be able to get more than 7 hours SOT because I spend a lot of stop with my GPS on when drive while also listening to podcasts for work

Attached: 1529859389800.png (999x850, 596K)

>just got a 6t
>want a 7 Pro

Attached: 1442684872195.png (858x725, 250K)

Well, to continue, I still think it's somewhat decent. Although after a year the battery will be deteriorated and that will ne hardly possible to achieve even 5h SOT.

Attached: Screenshot_20190506-202610_Device care.jpg (1080x2280, 336K)

>just got a 6t
why would you do that

How's the battery life on the S8?

I needed a new phone last November

This is reminding me of my s6 edge. Guess I'll have to stay away from the s10e though it's such a shame cause the form factor is near perfect.

Get the Mi9

would getting a phone new instead of a used one drastically increase the lifespan and make it worth the extra >30% or would the difference be negligible?

You fucking memer faggot, the normal version's battery is fine, at least in the early months, it perfectly in line with the current high end models, like the s10 or so. Although the 5G is a better choice, since it's improved in everything.
Hopefully the google button is reprogrammable as well.

bad

Yes always buy new unless you can replace the battery

Why do you want something you already have?

I want the new 7 Pro I don't have that

buy refurbished, best of both worlds

Refurbished is used for dumb people.

reminder that smartphone hardware design peaked years ago and nobody has even come close to designing a piece of hardware as well designed as the blackberry priv

Attached: priv.jpg (2500x1667, 2.72M)

>Apple cameras are years ahead of their competitors
LOOOOL

About to buy a Sony Xperia XA2 for Lineage or Sailfish (If I can find how to get it).
Other than installing a new OS, is there anything else I can do to keep the men in black away?

Are there any current flagships that still have a headphone jack? It seems Samsung and LG are the only options left

rog phone if you want a meme. it's still asus' flagship believe it or not.

Huawei Mate 20 / Mate 20 X / P30 (non-Pro)
Lenovo Z6 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 3
Oneplus 6
Honor View 20
Pocophone F1
Vivo iQOO
ASUS ROG Phone

You can't be serious.
youtu.be/YdtBnjX_PXM

Don't worry, Sony does not gather information like the US and China.

>be me, feel a need for buying a new phone
>choosing between xz1c and pf1
>fell for 4,6inch muh small phone
>comes with preinstalled shit ton of bloatware, does not have any official ROM to download
>end up disabling all goolag shit
>after a month start regretting I didn't get at least 5,5 xz1 for 20 less buckos
>after 4 months microphone during the phone calls works like shit, the other person hears me as if I spoked from under the water
>I paid 300euros for this nene thing that cannot handle microphone in calls
I should just buy that Xiao fling meme as Jow Forums recommended.
P.S.: If you have got any functional nonmeme ROM even an illiterate can install let me know.

Attached: Screenshot_20190506-203655.png (720x1280, 50K)

SONY'd
why'd you get the XZ1C though? The XZ1 is small enough at 5.2". Should have ponied up 130 yuros for a Zenfone Max Pro M1.

chinkshit comes with double the bloatware

But, the reviews.. Also I liked to have something compact and yet still powerful. The worst thing is that xz1c costed me 30 euros more than the scenario of buying xz1.

but the hardware simply oustands all mid range phones. Also a better community. At Sony's forum you just see a lot of people basicaly crying because of the fk ups they have and support assistants do shit about that. (t. my current problem with a mic, that has been a topic on official forum from 2015 on various xperia devices) it's just a bad joke..

I know anons, I should listened to you.

>shit ton of bloatware
nice jest, it's fucking nothing that can't be removed in 5 minutes. Xperia's OS is quite good, all things considered.

I got pozzed by Sony, dropped my phone within warranty and they made me pay $320 to fix it, apparently it bricked itself when it dropped
after another year it dropped again and the screen broke and they took it for over 8 months and said the screen was gone and some parts within weren't working anymore that were hard to source blah blah I finally got it back and it's perfect except the touchscreen is wonky, it skips all over the place and has dead spots
just lol at Sony, they were only good in the Z days. XZ phones are garbage

>I should just buy that Xiao fling meme as Jow Forums recommended.
It's not a meme.
>P.S.: If you have got any functional nonmeme ROM even an illiterate can install let me know.
An illiterate you say?
youtu.be/BsHtfLh6azw
It's virtually the same process for all devices.

if having a lot of unneeded software features (e.g clear audio, high res audio decodec output or optimization for headphones) then I guess it's good? but who really needs all of that? if sony just focused on their main feature, as it represents, which is camera, because if you really thing about it, their hardware is not bad at all, but the camera software.. well cannot even zoom on front camera, which is not a big deal, but a device, which is presented as photo phone and can barely change composition and ISO during taking a picture is hilarious.

I am starting to feel scammed. I have heard stories of local friends, who had been telling about the hardware problems they got, now I am starting to understand that it was actually pretty relevant.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 that is cracker on both sides and the screen no longer responds to touch. Got some estimates a while back to repair just the front side and the lowest I found was like $320. I guess I could get the whole thing repaired for maybe $400 but I have no idea honestly. Is this worth it or is there a different phone I should buy instead brand new for around the same price or less? All I care about is 32 GB internal storage, headphone jack, and good (not amazing) camera.

Just checked and looks like I can get front and back repaired for just under $300 actually. Still feels kind of like a rip-off but I wonder if I have any better options at the moment.

What is the best phone at around 130€ that offers me a decent performance and a long lasting battery,and most importantly doesn't have a MTK proc? Is xiaomi redmi 7 a good choice?

What's a good replacement for my LGV20?
Should I just get the LG V50?

>SD855
>AMOLED
>pop up selfie cam
>under $500

It’s over, Xiaomi wins.

Attached: FBAE56F7-2D74-41EB-A4D2-EF8E5EDCF2F2.jpg (379x800, 40K)

Forgot link: gizmochina.com/2019/05/06/redmis-first-snapdragon-855-flagship-could-be-called-the-redmi-k20-pro/

>no back fingerprint scanner
>Shit battery on par with base MM3
>Notch
>Missing a fuckload of bands for where I live in Burgerland
Hard pass

If Google Assist could be remappable into 3 functions like the Smart Key on the Honor 8 I would fucking insta-buy even at the $670 price point.
youtube.com/watch?v=DM2eW9Xe4Q

However is the MM3 5G gonna have God Tier battery like the Asus Zenfone m2?

Attached: 1485905565807.jpg (800x450, 46K)

user with the slightly cracked note 9 from earlier in the thread, the screen and entire metal frame assembly cost me about 215$ shipped. While Galaxy S8 are around 170~ or lower.

Back panels are cheap as balls, even the original ones. So you're basically paying another 100$ or so for the labor.

It matters not, OP7P is the true fagship to buy.

Holy shit 300$ sounds wayy too much. I repaired mine with around 150$ with parts bought from AliExpress(the lcd) and from a local craigslist(the back cover). Both parts were original surprisingly.

>fagship
Can it even defeat iphones?

Does it have wireless charging? That defines whether it just kicks below the belt or outright slaughters OnePus

when is this coming out in non china countries?

Attached: Samsung-Galaxy-A60_1.jpg (480x640, 33K)

headphone jack?
microsd?

LG V30 is less than $300 brand new off eBay

anyone use the cerberus security thing, in case of theft?
Is it worth it / are there alternatives?

Headphone jack is apparently confirmed by a xiaomi GM.

It definitely won't have that but I expect it to be the cheapest SD855 you can buy and 27w wired charger so fuck wireless.

Is it a good idea to get a refurbished/used phone and if so is there anything I should be concerned about before I do so? I'm mainly worried about more battery degradation and risks of screen burn-in on used phones, I'm not sure if refurbished is a good option either since I usually like to buy electronics new to avoid any issues

Umidigi F1 or Moto G7 Power? Living in the US on Verizon if that matters

No bro, life is short, live within your means and buy something in your price range. Lmao at buying used phones.

Just a micro SD card slot this time Xiaomi for crying out loud. At least the 3.5mm headphone jack is there.

OnePlus 7 Pro! It is for you bro!

lol they're already selling OP7P cases at my end.

Fuck i cant find the teardown of the foldable meme and im dying out of curiosity to see it , can somebody link me ? torrent source or something like that , cant find this shit , only pajeets reviews.

Got a Redmi Note 7.

It's okay, apart from the camera which has a very speedy Autofocus but not such a great image. (I guess I really only like the Sony sensors...)

They don't want to cut into their profits.

Not having SD slots works for the high end, there will be one actual reason to update in 4y or less.

>there will be one actual reason to update in 4y or less.
Not sure I follow this part.

G7 Power, better for burgerland

I also can't perfectly explain it because I lack the marketing lingo, but the idea is something like that after 4 years or less, the phone storage is getting full with photos and facebook and tiktok videos and shit, the phone has a few minor cosmetic defects, the OS version is getting old [...] but it is otherwise in good state.

Either way, you're supposed to still perceive the phone as a quality phone, but hit some inconvenient issues [plus without actively admitting it, covet the "new thing" that everyone can see is new]. That's the way they get you to buy the same brand's new high-end model.

He means that you'll probably run out of storage in 4 years or less and be forced to buy a new model, as opposed to, say, battery degradation that can be fixed by simple replacement.

How so? Umidigi F1 looks like it's better in every single way except maybe the software and SOC, I'm not too familiar with Mediatek so I'm not sure how the P60 stacks up against the SD 632. Seems to have all the necessary bands too

PS: Meanwhile, the lower end "Redmi" and so on models have a microSD slot because the more financially conservative buyers that get these wouldn't even buy these phones without the slot.

Yes. And even if you're dealing with a complete lazy pleb who doesn't repair anything: If the battery actually becomes much worse over time, it will be seen as "poor quality" and the next phone purchased is probably by someone else.

Storage works much better.

I want to see what bands it will pick up and the pricetag

P60 stomps on the 632
also it's stock Pie and the screen is far better

upd.

Attached: Screenshot_20190507-020449_Settings.jpg (1080x2280, 249K)

There was a minor spike somewhere in the middle, plugged it into the PC for a few minutes. So, in total, S10e Exynos could live up to 7h30m SOT, in general. If you have everything turned on, I guess it would be reduced to 5h30m-6h.

If you're want smooth phone to play pubg but doesn't want to buy iphone. buy mate 20 or any kirin 980 phone, they specifically optimize their soc to play pubg mobile and certain games. I compared to my pocophone using miui game booster. Mate 20 run the game with minor heat and smooth. Any tips to run pubg better on poco? what kernel/custom rom should I flash?

Probably nitpicking here but is the DAC in the 632 better than the one in the P60?

I disagree. Its decent.

Do you have one? How does your battery hold up?

Posting again because last time all I got was someone calling my dick small.

>Country
Australia
>Carrier
Kogan (on the Optus network)
>features
A not shit camera (doesn't need to be top of the range, also I'm flashing a custom rom so I doubt I'll benefit from any advanced software features?).
Fingerprint unlock is nice.
I'd like to be able to flash a custom rom which supports microg.
Some battery life.
Headphone jack.
>Budget
Cheaper is better, but I'd prefer it not fall apart on me. Max $400 AUD but ideally closer to $300.
90% of the use is texting and calling so it doesn't need to be a beast.
>size
SMALL

Does anyone know if there are any good ROMs compatible with the S6 Edge (AT&T)? Finally got it rooted and would like to flash something more secure and less bloated, but it seems both Replicant and LineageOS don’t have S6 compatibility. Apologies for the noobish question, very new to Android and don’t really know where to start.

Might seem an odd question, but did you turn MIUI optimization off? I remember that setting being on resulted in stuttering in UI navigation back when I bought the RN3P. From what I know the game booster doesn't affect the CPU/GPU, just does a thorough RAM cleaning, however I'm suspecting MIUI optimization keeps either one or both of them underclocked to boost efficiency.
This is only my speculation, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try, see if it changes anything for the games.

Battery life is nice as I've taken good care of it. Don't let your phone go below 25% if you can charge it, it seriously damages the battery. If its unavoidable whatever. As a general rule you should not let anything with a battery deplete to 0.

Redmi Note 7 Global

Upgraded from RN4 to RN7, it's pretty good. The only bad thing is I have to wait 360 hours to unlock the bootloader like a fucking idiot.

Thanks for the response.
I got this rec last time and it seems pretty big (I had a redmi note 3 and it was too big).
Are there any similar smaller models?

nope, time to stop being a poof, Bruce
if the phone is too large for your dainty little hands, then get a finger pop thing

probably not as the P60 is meant to compete with the SD660

I never had any issues with Verizon on my UMIDIGI Z2 Pro which also has a P60. It has bands 2,4,5,13 which is 4/5 of them.

I have RSI

If the xiaomi k20 pro has american bands i will become fully erect

Christ you're about as useful as an arsehole on an elbow

I have a One Plus 5t and will be buying a 7t Pro when it inevitably releases in November unless it is trumped by the Pixel 4.

AMA

how old were you when you became aware that you have a micropenis?

It's not a micropenis though it probably is on the smaller end of the average spectrum. Doesn't bother me though because I rarely get to use it and when I do I've never heard of it being a problem.

>the only way to get xiaomi mi 9 in america is to risk your money and hope they eventually ship it while they hold your money hostage for a month

tf xiaomi. just sell it on fucking amazon already or something

Nice I was looking to buy a refurb from Amazon for $300. You enjoyed yours enough that it would be a worthwhile buy?

Foldable phones are no meme. They're the least meme-worthy innovation of the past decade. The only real innovative phone I've seen aside from them is the BB passport.

It most likely won't but I'm still hoping it does, I'm pretty sure they reserve American bands exclusively for their Mix phones as they're arguably their most unique phones

>foldable phones aren't a meme
and who the fuck asked for them? for what purpose do they serve? I don't remember anyone saying "you know I would absolutely love for this phone with shit battery life to be able to drain the battery twice as fast!"
it's a fucking meme

the A2 had american bands, i think the A3 will too

only B2,4,&5 no B12/13/17 support

On second thought the S3 Pro looks way better and costs about the same as the G7 Power though hopefully Gcam can be thrown on it since the stock camera software seems a little mediocre. I'm still waiting to see what becomes of the Moto Z4/Z4 Play, I'll definitely buy it if the headphone jack returns. I'd get something else but I've grown attached to Motorola's quick gestures to launch the camera and flashlight and shit. They're insanely convenient.

An upgrade from my OP6 to a OP7 Pro would solely depend on the camera.