Math in CS curriculum

Is there a certain intelligence barrier when it comes to getting a traditional Comp Sci degree? I go to a top 25 school and am thinking about dropping out because I failed Calc 2 twice...

I'm 125 IQ tested but feel like an utter brainlet and am running out of time to get into my program at uni. Has anyone else had a similar experience with math in school? Also do you need to be like 135+ IQ to make it?

Attached: mathandcs.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

booksdescr.org/item/index.php?md5=7D07C2FC7882B57001F689B6C04638EF
khanacademy.org/math/ap-calculus-bc
khanacademy.org/math/calculus-2).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Last time I measured, my IQ was 97, and I went to the CS program at my country's top university and I'm currently doing a PhD and even I managed to pass calculus. You're clearly doing something wrong, and it's extremely unlikely that you actually are above 1.5 sigma from the mean.

But a non-meme answer is that your study technique is probably shite. Do the weekly assignments, show up to class, show up to group sessions.

Can you show me your tests

>97

Fug. How do you even function?

You don't need a high IQ to learn something, though it does make it easier. Calculus 2 isn't something you should struggle that much with though. It's more likely you're not putting enough work in, or that you're studying in a really inefficient manner.

I do most of those things and still struggle. Its strange because I do good in my core physics and comp sci classes but I struggle hard in what seems like basic math to most people. I thought being bad at math was just a meme but I barely scraped by in Calc 1 as well. What study techniques do you recommend?

My tests are somewhere in my bag. I might look for them and upload later but why would that matter?

Friendly reminder that the online feel-good """IQ""" tests you are taking that assess vocal abilities are not measuring IQ, and aren't standardised tests with a population mean of 100 and a population standard deviation of 15.

>What study techniques do you recommend?
The ones I already said. Focus solely on maths for this semester, do all assignments, show up to every single class and prepare by reading ahead the days before. Show up to every single group session. Team up with other students that are smarter than you and that will eventually get annoyed by you, and suck up all the information and help you are able to get from them.

>Team up with other students that are smarter than you and that will eventually get annoyed by you, and suck up all the information and help you are able to get from them.

This is good advice user

If you can't understand basic calculus you should literally kill yourself.

>I might look for them and upload later but why would that matter?
so I can see how much of a brainled I am

Attached: 1515079343023.png (645x773, 58K)

>I go to a top 25 school and am thinking about dropping out because I failed Calc 2 twice...
>Absolute state of American CS students
lmao

like any skill in life, you only get good in math by studying through a wide variety of sources and lots of rigorous, consistent practice

i recommend Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson (1910) for a beginner

booksdescr.org/item/index.php?md5=7D07C2FC7882B57001F689B6C04638EF

then supplement it with khanacademy's free AP calculus BC course

khanacademy.org/math/ap-calculus-bc

these should be enough to pass (>60%) a standard calculus II course

if you want to get >90% on all your calc II exams you'll want to check out the following in order (search the pdfs on libgen.io):

Introduction to Inequalities by Beckenbach
Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Eccles
Calculus by Spivak

and of course carefully analyze all the math problems in homework, quizzes, tests, etc. provided by your professor/TAs so you can expect a pattern of the types of problems in upcoming exams. this is more important than the three books mentioned above

good advice

I'm fresh off the boat

thanks for providing links ill look into these resources

It seems like you don't review your lesson/textbook at all. Of course if you study math only with lecture and assignment it will be super hard to actually get it, What did you expect?

Spend your free time re-reading the textbook, or watching lectures on what you've learned on youtube. Use websites like Khan Academy. (khanacademy.org/math/calculus-2). Try to re-do your assignment.

Then you will realized Calculus for CS monkiyes is actually not that hard, but fucking boring.

104 iq(i'm completely average, above average only in programming) and I passed calc1&2 with 80 each, without much effort desu. if you don't understand somthing - read it again. and again. and again. try to think in terms of macro, what would make the sentence/theorem you've read true, try to attack it from different angles.

I never understand anything from lecturers, and it takes me a couple of readings to understand complex theorems, but I just keep at it and it sinks

You don't have to be a genius to pass math. All it takes is sacrifice and putting in the hours. Sit down for at least four hours a day and do excercises (not taking in account attending to class). Reading from the book/notes is not enough you have to do exercises and a lot of them.

>top school

Why do I keep hearing this from Americans

Isn’t the curriculum almost exactly the same for all undergraduate degrees? Why would you even care about what rank your University is if you’re not doing research on PHD level or above

Consider why people buy Starbucks, iPhone, or BMW. To American people It's basically same. Harvard is known to be top school mostly because they're famous for being top school. same for any other American '''top''' universities.

>>Isn’t the curriculum almost exactly the same for all undergraduate degrees?
Yeah it is...... huh

Yes it is you retard

a reminder that most over 100 IQ are retards that cannot communicate efficiently talking or by writing emails. Your "intelligence" is only focused in you and your stuff. You won't produce anything meaningful for anyone, for instance you won't make money. So keep pumping that IQ while everyone else make money and the world a better place.

huh i was agreeing

I don't even regular this board but this is a shameless suble cs gaylord meme thread. Remember, every field.

That being said, I'm pretty curious about what the curriculum is at US/UK undergrad course cs math is like. I attend the course infamous for it's heavy math in my country amongs IT related courses (Hungary, ELTE-IK). We start out with some light linear algebra (bases, matrices stuff up to complex conjugate, Gaussian-elimination), and basic discreet math (sequence/function limes/convergence up to harmonic sequences). Then it diverges into two continuous course. One is Discreet math II, that is group/ring theory, some light encoding, onto programming theory (? not sure of the nomenclature) with relations and logic. The other is numeric analysis going through differencials and integrals to full(?) function analysis up to recursive/implicite functions and asympthotic limes (global, local). Also a side-path into algoryth theory, both on paper (GE, LU, QR, GS, etc) and coding (different sortings and optimisation mostly). Along some light Taylor-polynomial and Fourier-sequence(?) stuff. All of the above are 80% theorems and proofings, 20% actual practice. The passing grade is usually around 60%+ summed up, some combination of two miderms, a smaller exam at the beginning of each lecture, 0-3 home projects, and a 1-3 part exam, usually eding with an oral examination (haha). Per course. In approximation, the programming part is really easy, but thankfully it's nout about a single type of language/paradigm, but the above mentioned applied in multiple languages (C, C++, Haskell, Ada, Java, C#, Python classes are mandatory, and there is a fuckton of free to take courses).

How's your education in comparison? I don't mean dick measuring, but I want to know my peers and how I stand.

do ameritards really think iq tests are relevant? why and on what occasion do you even take them?
yes user, you need a minimum of 126 iq. i'm sorry but there's nothing you can do, you're just no smart enough.

>125 IQ
>failed calc 2 twice
lmao they taught Calc 2 at my high school. I hope you don't think that internet IQ test score means anything OP

Almost forgot to reply to the topic at hand. People failing the very course I'm taking is 70% per year. It's not 70% dropouts, but people having to do a class again and such. I'd say 20% is the instant dropout rate. All of this is only partially due to difficulity alone. I'd say there are three kinds of people that fail classes and/or drop out. There are those who have no place at higher education, they'll have to face this fact eventually. They're either stupid and/or lazy. Both can be a cause for arriving at OP's destination. Then there are those who manage for some time, they take things seriously early enough, they soldier on. Some might make it, some won't. These people had a good shot, but not everyone makes it. The third category is people that by all means and merits should graduate, and the world might even be a better place for it, but they're simply unlucky. Can't find a job, death of a family member, a signifact other leaving them, might even be an administration error. University is not a "smart then degree" machine. The paper in your hand doesn't only signal that you understand and have interest in given topics and proffession, but that you made it through.