LINUX IS FINISHED

devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/

Attached: file.png (900x900, 77K)

>yfw microsoft did better linux in few years than actual linux developers in their whole lifetime

Attached: 307.jpg (680x591, 34K)

Based

Only a matter of time until windows is a linux distro..

confirmed b8 thread, move along spergs

lincucks destroyed 5ever

Attached: 22-5-braxen-pa-vindrutan-3.jpg (600x472, 45K)

But does it have to be ubuntu?

this is fucking epic guys. there is now literally no reason to use Linux. I can't wait for Tyrone to get back from his date with my gf so I can rub this news in his face! he's been trying to get me to switch to Fedora but now I don't have to =)

WINE and Proton make windows obsolete.

>tfw windows fucked up their gui so badly they are moving back to cli

A *long* time.

I was nearly triggered.

Ever notice how Microsoft's "Linux" doesn't actually use that kernel? It should be called Windows subsystem for GNU, but I guess they just hate freedom too much to do that.

Attached: quote-if-microsoft-ever-does-applications-for-linux-it-means-i-ve-won-linus-torvalds-29-60-67.jpg (850x400, 45K)

Wine/Proton is for gaymen, and why the fuck would I want to use Linux when I can run WSL and have all the advantages of Windows?

It still doesn't support linux properly, such as the /proc namespace, meaning c and c++ tools, such as clang sanitizers dont work. They only work properly on real linux

kek fedora

>windows will be shipping with an entire linux kernel
what the fuck m8
this is some 96D chess right there

Linux developers are too busy being trannies and fags

>all the advantages of Windows?
Please enlighten me. What are these so-called advantages you speak of?

Have you even read the article? They are shipping the Linux kernel (not a copycat) together with Windows and it will be running inside a lightweight VM that is integrated with the Windows system somehow. It's pretty cool but I'm curious how well they are integreated.

>Actual software comparability (no, the programs I want to run don't work through wine or gaymerton)
>Better performance with my hardware due to better drivers and DirectX
>Industry standard
>Just werks
Now tell me what are the advantages of Linux

probably hyper-V but with linux instead of xp kernel

Actual video decoding in browsers, bigger general software palette and backwards comparability ?

Oh I donno. Maybe that every application runs on it effortlessly

But can windows set a window to always on top without needing a third party software?

We're dismantling Windows from the inside, out.Wave your games goodbye,Wintard!

WSL 2 will actually use a Linux kernel now. It's to improve compatibility since some of the kernel syscalls weren't implemented properly in WSL1.

I was referring to the part with WSL. If it's running in a wm, then it's nothing new

>advantages of Linux
I can post in the desktop threads.

The entirety of linux is 3rd party software.

Manchild faggot, I can't do work if my desktop is some minimal command line waifufag fest

At some point it will be viable for windows to be a wrapper around the linux kernel. The business of developing an OS is already a dying one. So why not leverage an existing project to handle part of it for you.

initial comment successful comment

In WSL 1 stuff like /proc doesn't work but it may work on WSL 2, just that only Linux processes will be visible in it. From the article it sounds like WSL 1 and 2 are easily interchangeable.

I have one single reason I still use linux.
It allows me to hack my monitor to run at 72Hz and windows won't let me set it above 60Hz.

So, Mr. samefag, please explain to me how this is a bad thing for Linux?
Thousands of potential Winfags can now run Linux seamlessly and a lot of them are likely to go the extra mile and switch to a Linux distro.

I can't see how this can be interpreted as anything but good for Linux.

based
and redpilled

Attached: 362.gif (480x360, 73K)

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

>winfags coming to linux is good
>muh year of the linux desktop
Why do you faggots want this? If that ever happens Linux is dead and we'll have to move to BSD or something. Most of the benefits are because normies don't use it, why can't you see that?

It's already the only relevant linux distro

>likely to go the extra mile
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
linux: SATYA, IM JUST A HOLE SIR

Normies are still not going to use it. It's already as bad as it gets.

>Wine/Proton is for gaymen
It runs any exe files, retard. Why would I use windows when I can run wine and have all the advantages of windows and none of it's disadvantages?

Because Wine doesn't run everything that Windows does, retard, there's a lot of software that I physically need that doesn't run in Wine, and what are these supposed "disadvantages" of Windows, because as it stands I find the whole OS of Windows to be better than Linux

>yfw Microsoft kills Canonical

Attached: 1556279539265.jpg (580x543, 117K)

all this distro hopping for nothing

Attached: linus-torvalds-5.jpg (799x599, 47K)

>built-in malware, drm and poor performance isn't a disadvantage
Lel

if windows has to do something like this it means it's getting desparete for developers, not the other way around
plus it's going to suck and you know it

>What malware?
>What DRM?
>What poor performance?
There is no malware, that's just bullshit cooked up by tin foil hats, the DRM literally isn't a problem and if you care so much just crack Windows and the performance is actually better on Windows thanks to better drivers, absolute fucking state of you people

>"Now you can run the legit Linux kernel on top of our shitty OS that needs a hundred scripts to disable telemetry and all that nice shit that we use to harvest your data and enhance your experience! Isn't that great?"
Yeah, no thanks. If I want Gahnoo Loonatix, I'll fucking install *buntu and get shit done, not use a crappy VM frontend put together with Band-Aids and Scotch tape

This is so epic

This is what I've been waiting for all these years

I always wanted to run my OS inside a microsoft botnet but the solutions for it just had too many limitations :/

Now I'll finally be able to run my favorite OS AND send all my data to microsoft with barely any performance loss!

What a time to be alive

Attached: 1248973918027.jpg (1600x1200, 112K)

finally it took microsoft to do linux right

nice one faggot

Sent from my Windows 10 machine

Attached: file.png (149x54, 3K)

This. Unironically.

That's not how people with jobs think.
>neat, not i can manage my servers and do my emails/office from one environment

DEVELOPERS

>There is no malware
Oh fuck off

DEVELOPERS!

No go on user, tell me what malware is built in

lmao

Attached: runwsl.gif (1120x958, 1.72M)

> putting literal ads based off in my start menu is not malware
> literally putting program installers in my start menu is obviously not something malware would do
> I could totally remove these until there is an update that brings them back idiot!
Jow Forums 2019.

That's harmless you fucking retard, none of my personal info is being sent and I'm not stopped from doing my work like in Linux

Show me the source code of windows 10 and I'll point you to the malware. Outside of that, spyware is by definition malware, and w10 has tons of it.

>not stopped from doing my work like in Linux
>update occurs
Use Linux since it doesn't stop your work then.

> That's harmless you fucking retard
Holy shit how did you move those goalposts that fast? OY VEY ITS ONLY MALWARE IF I DONT LIKE IT!
>none of my personal info is being sent
Are...are you actually that retarded? You realize how they make money right, or do you just pretended targeted ads aren't a thing?
> I'm not stopped from doing my work
This bitcoin miner running the background doesn't stop me from doing work its fine bro

>harmless
Nobody cares about your personal feelings. Adware and spyware may be "harmless" to you, but they're malicious.

nah. it's a trap

But it has telemetry like powershell

drivers

Oh boy I can't wait to run Linux programs such as... uh... hm.

You're not wrong

>we are not competent enough to make WSL good
>let's just ship linux inside hyper-v because we are incompetent
>now you can't even run vmware because hyperv requires exclusivity
>it will allocate and consume ten times more resources
> linux is finished!1

Richard M Stallman 2019-05-06 14:48:40
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/kWindows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus the Windows kernel. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Windows", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with the Windows kernel added, or GNU/kWindows. All the so-called "Windows" distributions are really distributions of GNU/kWindows.

cool

Attached: spooky.gif (537x309, 1.21M)

finally
us big dicked Windows devs and administrators won't have to have our productivity hobbled by having to touch a Linux desktop or constantly fuck with VMs

Attached: pretentious taytay.jpg (1446x2139, 869K)

2019 IS THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Attached: 1555732992486.webm (259x211, 591K)

kek good one

Basteeeeee

In all seriousness, eat pant, botnetted faglet

But it is a VM. And that comes with all the benefits of hyper-v like 2 BSOD per day, loss of data when windows decide to reboot and increased load times

/v/ gamers unironically think this.

This is great news for me as a software developer, as I no longer need to maintain Windows ports for Unix programs. The Windows ports can be stripped out as Windows users can easily be told to use WSL or fuck off.

This is so lame. I liked how WSL was NOT a VM, just ELFs running natively on the windows kernel. Was that just too much work for microsoft?

they tried to push linux inside a vm but nobody liked that
so they pushed for wsl and failed miserably because its full of bugs and slow for anything non trivial
now wsl2 is linux inside a vm aka bait and switch

And Docker didn't synergized well with it

MS is seriosly kicking ass

Attached: ms_azure_domination.png (957x526, 222K)

OHHHHHHHHHH NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its still a botnet with forced updates, nice try wincuck

I've literally never had a single setting change on its own aside from my desktop wallpaper a few times and I've been using Win10 for 4 years

The year of the Microsoft desktop has finally arrived, guys. We can finally quit using GNU/Linux which has been going downhill for years now.

not even a fishing pole
you disappointed us once again

Mmmhm.

That is fucking awesome

I've used GNU/Linux for nearly 20 years, many of it without having Windows installed at all. It's gone from best OS ever to a complete goddamn mismanaged horrible clusterfuck of bugs and we-don't-give-a-fuck-about-anything attitudes ruining everything. Fuck GNU/Linux right in the ass. Letting Microsoft assimilate it is the best thing that's ever happened to it.

Outed yourself as a troll even more unfortunately

Does Hyper-V actually do shit like this? Why can't everyone just use VMWare?

It was always like that dumbass. You just have nostalgia goggles for how Linux was compared to the Windows 98 shitshow.

Fucking based

kek

Windows users are too busy being trannies and fags

Neat. Much more integrated than how I use virtualbox but sounds similar, quicker like they save state maybe. I don't ever plan on using 10 so not really relevant for me, good for people who use 10 literally everyone.

Year of the Microsoft Linux App desktop! EMBRACED

apologize.

Attached: xp.jpg (600x770, 144K)