>Windows 10 will soon ship with a full, open source, GPLed Linux kernel

>All is changing with Windows Subsystem for Linux 2. Instead of emulating the Linux kernel APIs on the NT kernel, WSL 2 is going to run a full Linux kernel in a lightweight virtual machine. This kernel will be trimmed down and tailored to this particular use case, with stripped-down hardware support (since it will defer to the host Windows OS for that) and faster booting.

>The Linux kernel is GPLed open source; the GPL license requires that any modifications made to the code must be published and made available under the GPL license. Microsoft will duly comply with this, publishing the patches and modifications it makes to the kernel. WSL 2 will also use a similar split as the current WSL does: the kernel component will be shipped with Windows while "personalities" as provided by the various Linux distributions can be installed from the Microsoft Store.
Say it with me: EMBRACE EXTEND EXTINGUISH

Attached: microsoft-loves-linux-800x445.png (800x445, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/sinclairinator/status/1125477116022157313
devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does this mean it will be easier to use Linux as a casual user?

Yes.

No. it's entirely a technical change that brings nothing new to the end user.

Wait wait hold tf up nigga does this mean Windows won't be NT based anymore?

no it means wsl will now use hyper-v

It's still Linux on Windows, as much as you would by running Linux on VirtualBox.

video

twitter.com/sinclairinator/status/1125477116022157313

That's stupid. That guy clearly said NO VM for WSL2

read more carefully

E X T E N D E D
X
T
E
N
D
E
D

Attached: 1546627439711.png (512x512, 231K)

>Instead of emulating the Linux kernel APIs on the NT kernel
Don't they simply implement it? I mean, you don't emulate an interface, you implement it. Implementing API doesn't have any inherent inefficiency (apart from the fact that your functionality might not fit well into the target API).
>WSL 2 is going to run a full Linux kernel in a lightweight virtual machine
Doesn't it mean it's going to be less efficient?

EEE

Attached: EEE.png (1990x1252, 95K)

i think they want to convert Linux as their Virus Scanner.

No.

They're still aiming for SaaS and the "cloud" / container market, so... what else could they do?

Ultimately it's still all pandering to Microsoft Sysadmins who can't into Linux, though. Because all of this is and will remain on Linux.

> EXTEND EXTINGUISH
I don't think this plan will work, all the companies and entities that could make it work aren't in favour of Microsoft succeeding here.

>VM
Why not do it the way Interix used to work? Or is that functionality no longer present in Windows?

This is a dumb solution to this problem since the Linux kernel can already run as a user-space program. As was done by Cooperative Linux to provide a WSL-like experience all the way back in 2004.

It will mean no running WSL and non-Hyper-V hypervisors at the same time.

Attached: bdeac30c64701a1b3aa80b81285418c463412db8.png (450x530, 13K)

If I remember correctly. Part of the reason that WSL was slow is that the NT kernel is ass.

Hypervisor runs through NT though, how can it be faster?

Embrace. Extend. Exterminate.

Never forget this.

devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/

and here I am with a CPU that has no support for Hyper-V

>buying intel
meme'd

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/kWindows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus the Windows kernel. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Windows", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with the Windows kernel added, or GNU/kWindows. All the so-called "Windows" distributions are really distributions of GNU/kWindows.

if linus wasn't a retard and gpl3'd linux we wouldn't have had this problem

All the work in the first WSL was FOR NOTHING

Who knew that Microsoft would be the one to bring the Year of the Linux Desktop?

>embrace extend extinguish

SPYWARE INSIDE

honestly, by the time it's extended, it's already too late
microsoft won

DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL DON'T INSTALL

Attached: PETERSON.png (112x97, 21K)

Underrated comment.

You guys know you can run GNU+Linux on bare metal, right?
There's no reason to run microsoft's bloated collection of malware as a host.

What's the use case of this?

Linux users almost always despise Windows and have no interest in using it, and Linux software due to its open nature usually is ported to as many OSes as possible including Windows.

Is all this effort done only to enable lazy CS students to have steam running and do their exercises at the same time?

Attached: confused looking nice girl with interrogation mark on her head.png (1206x1357, 203K)

F

>WSL 2 is going to run a full Linux kernel in a lightweight virtual machine.
Oh come on, are they even trying?

Attached: 1549051829384.gif (156x216, 1.07M)

windows will always be NT based, they spent years trying to unravel the spaghetti code and failed.

>the kernel component will be shipped with Windows while "personalities" as provided by the various Linux distributions can be installed from the Microsoft Store

Attached: 1555443945683.jpg (750x513, 48K)

and they just failed again with wsl so they are going to ship linux in a vm

>Is all this effort done only to enable lazy CS students to have steam running and do their exercises at the same time?

you fucking nailed it

>Linux users almost always despise Windows and have no interest in using it
Only contrarian faggots and Stallman cock suckers despise Windows
Everyone else knows that Windows is arguably the better desktop OS and WSL was a way to run Windows and have easy access to an Uniix-like environment and all the tools that come with it

and developers. they want the itoddlers too so they can push their premium hardware (pic related)

Attached: alcantara.jpg (782x604, 91K)

>Windows is arguably the better desktop OS

Attached: 1553849222916.jpg (500x481, 44K)

I would prefer it if they just fix that clunky interface.

WINE is still trash

So is windows

Attached: 1339550542725.jpg (450x420, 32K)

>Microsoft

Attached: soyjack.png (644x800, 15K)

ridiculous reply to my post
if you stopped bragging your stupid opinion for one second you'd realize that Linux users value privacy and customizability, and most of all want their OS to be a passive tool tailored to their needs opposed to an "experience" the user has little control over. Windows is literally the worst OS possible for these requirements so no matter how much you propagade the pro's Windows has they won't switch because they don't give a fuck about the things you're apperantly so passionate about. Sorry pal.

its a bit sick and its not necessary. it's a cancer, eating linux from the inside. this is the enemy, remember. they achieved nothing at all with their code base apart from financial control

Because Bash scripting is really fucking nice compared to Powershell but I'm not going to go switch to a Fisher Price OS to access it, so now I get both.

>they achieved nothing at all with their code base apart from financial control

And about 50x more market share, Lintard.

This is going to give the open source community key insights on how the NT kernel works internally, this could be great for Wine. It's going to be by far the closest, most tightly integrated to NT thing that has ever been released

Imagine thinking an OS designed around forcing round pegs into round holes but needing to modify the config file of the hole-block manually because the hole is too small and no one wants to develop a UI with most nix tools because reasons is the "better OS".

>being this bad at bait

But Steam is the one gaming platform that runs decently well on linux?

>Microsoft will duly comply with this, publishing the patches and modifications it makes to the kernel

Microsoft will be making changes and possibly even contributions to the linux kernel. Not sure how to feel about this.

Your post was ridiculous was begin with
Being a Linux user doesn't mean you have to despise Windows and unless you are fully invested into free software, you will realize Windows has it's place which is the desktop while Linux has it's place in servers and dedicated workstations
This is why WSL worked in the first place with alot of people as they wanted there PCs to be desktops first and a dev environment second and WSL allowed to to do that

So can I get System D botnet and Windows 10 botnet all at once! AWESOME

obvious fucking samefag astroturfer

They've been platinum members of the Linux foundation for a while, you're late.

They submitted their first patches over a decade ago through TurboLinux whom they had partnered up with secretly long ago. Intel was helping, the cover was the Tizen project, which descended from Moblin.

Probably for the best. I tried using wsl for development and it's just broken shitfest full of bugs. Literally no reason to not just use linux. This WSL just sounds like some faux vm implementing some neue linux HAL that ties into whatever gross NTism garbage.

They might as well just fix wsl and allow the wsl team to push updates more rapidly instead of bundling them with whatever bundled monthly crap updates m$ shits out.

Attached: 0A3A8A76-C4ED-4D67-94F9-639D8B597A6B.png (1024x845, 360K)

Dear Windows viral marketing team
Stop trying to make Linux on Windows a thing. The whole point of Linux is to escape Windows cancer, not to use Linux.