Microsoft unveils Windows Terminal, a new command line app for Windows

Why would I use Linux ever again?

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (1093x711, 1.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.microsoft.com/codeofconduct/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because Windows is proprietary software, even if it tries to interoperate with free software.

Does it send every command you type to 14 different Microsoft servers?

>windows terminal
>actually gnu userspace and a bog standard terminal emulator
w i n l e t s

Explain this to me, why should I reinstall windblows

There's already terminal emulators on Windows that support tabbing

looks neat

jokes on you, i never used linux to begin with

Absolute brilliance Satya Nadella. Bravo. You are truly bringing Microsoft to its glory days.

last time I checked, it was only 7
coz it has glorious easy-to-use setup

Windows is just finally catching up. The Default powershell console can't even properly handle UTF-8. Hopefully this will be better.

>Setup is easy!
>It asks you what AD's you'd like displayed
>Check boxes
>cortana
>Please wait while we upload your contents to the botnet!
Fuck off jew

>he actually fell for the l00nix meme

is it just me or is WSL ungodly slow

>Microsoft unveils Windows Terminal, a new command line app for Windows Anonymous 05/06/19(Mon)23:13:29 No.70848394▶
1 other thing.
its not bash its not linux, it's a partial copy
its not the same, of the same functionality. It is a limited subset

WSL2 won't be because it'll actually use Linux kernel instead of emulated.

>implying anyone gives a shit besides virgin commies like you
This year is your year right?

Cool ad hominem there.

This is literally Linux in a VM.

Anyone do a test build yet? I am currently installing the UWP sdk so I can build it.

thanks for wasting my time MS you fuckers. couldn't be bothered to mention it requires Windows 10 1903. How hard is it put build requirements in the read me ?

So what is the difference between this and the existing WLS terminal?

and it's beautiful

Attached: SIR.jpg (380x379, 39K)

Does it run on W7?

Oh it's actually real. I thought you were shitposting.

no.

Seriously, take your fucking windows and fuck off back to /v/.
Nobody gives a fuck, it's botnet trash. Always will be.

current WSL based on cmd, this is a new level
cry more, linux fag

Just install tmux lmao who needs this gay rainbow shit nigga

tmux is not a terminal emulator. This is a competitor to terminal emulators like conemu, mintty, and emacs. The builtin microsoft terminal emulator is absolutely shitty.

emacs is not a terminal emulator. it's a text editor.

They should just include Far Manager. Open source and been ages on Windows.
Also let me guess, theres still no access to networking

Attached: 033e3ce7e938371716ed9df1959c6ef3fd9e23b0.jpg (660x342, 60K)

Linjeets be scared, shilling against something that none of them have tried and know absolutely nothing about.
Microsoft is like a constrictor, you've already been embraced, its already started swallowing linux.
Its too late, nibbas.

It includes a terminal emulator and is a legitimate alternative for Windows users.

Attached: emacs.png (961x585, 33K)

>linjeets
This one's new
>nibbas
is this your kid Tyrone? You left him running around and eating his own shit again.

>when your os is so shit that best "upgrade" ever is embedding another os in it

What? Linux is just a kernel.

fuck off jordan

Just btfod me with this a week after debugging fucking (((free software drivers))) for displays

opensource.microsoft.com/codeofconduct/

Exactly. Why bother.

Linux is an operating system. Get on your knees and thank Linus Torvalds for mking it.

Is it related to last year trans invasion of linux?

The new terminal supports icons which is awesome because of pic related. It also means you can print out mathematical signs

Attached: emojis.png (713x529, 321K)

I'd rather just have the passed tests highlighted in green, failed in red, etc. ANSI codes are enough. Obviously full unicode support has been missing from Windows terminals for far too long, but I don't think that programs should use emojis just because they can.
It's enough that it won't fuck up printing my Japanese file names.

>"I DON'T LIKE CHAAAAANGE!"

Attached: autism.jpg (448x336, 18K)

It's not that I don't like change, I love change for useful features. But ANSI codes are simply easier and clearer. You can ignore the green text and look for the red test. It's easier to scan for failed tests and simpler. It's just better UI.
I agree that emojis should be supported in case you want to view files with them or put them in a file name, but I don't think command line programs should actually use them like that screenshot shows.

Jordan you absolute slut

So it overwrites your MBR, so you have to reinstall grub.

based

The emojis make the botnet worthwhile.

>It's easier to scan for failed tests and simpler
While I agree that using emojis in this way is dumb I don't think that looking for a red line of text is any easier than looking for a fire emoji in a swarm of checkmarks.
In fact it might even be easier for colorblind people.

No, looking for a red line of text is way easier. It jumps out at you even if there are hundreds of lines. You can also use a visual indication like ****FAIL**** that colorblind people can see. It's ridiculous to purposely make a program incompatible with certain terminal emulators and fonts just because you want to add emojis of questionable utility.

>make a program incompatible with certain terminal emulators
Emojis are just unicode characters, why doesn't your terminal support unicode in 2019?

Ask Microsoft that, there's is the only one that doesn't. I wouldn't want to intentionally break compatability with the built in terminal, even if it sucks.
And I may prefer to use a font that doesn't include emojis.