/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: hesgotasharkbecareful>_<.jpg (600x800, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/graphics/font-metrics/XLoadQueryFont.html
github.com/baskerville/bspwm
mybroadband.co.za/news/software/305368-windows-10-is-replacing-command-prompt-and-powershell.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics)#Notable_usage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface#Windows_XP
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1999/02/msg01641.html
github.com/megous/megatools
support.rackspace.com/how-to/mysql-resetting-a-lost-mysql-root-password/
archive.debian.org/debian
ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/
antixlinux.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Correct previous thread:

Install GuixSD

Attached: twinkie house.png (500x419, 386K)

Debian Buster/Devuan Beowulf waiting room

Wasn't that the release where they're defaulting to Wayland where possible?

I am on arch linux, and am trying to patch the suckless tool slock. However, XLoadQueryFont() is returning NULL. Can someone help me find out why?

anyone using the new lxqt lubuntu versions? what do you think compared to lxde?

nvm fixed it

>If the font does not exist, XLoadQueryFont() returns NULL
tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/graphics/font-metrics/XLoadQueryFont.html

fuck u

It was failing to open the "6x10" font, but I literally "fixed" if with the "fixed" font name. Thanks anyways user

What's wallpaper managers work with Plasma? I need it to support multiple monitors (two horizontal, identical resolution.) and for it to hopefully be able to cycle through a folder of images.

Is there a way of reinstalling every package on ubuntu?

I am sure you can easily get a list of installed packages on your system and do a litlle script if you try

alright im trying to get this done but its not working and every time i try to it j

nice b8

Everyone poops on i3, I'm finishing up restoring a POS x200 and it's sorta geared for that. What tiling wm do you guys* suggest?

Attached: 1553127861964.jpg (960x720, 83K)

Recs for a replacement for NetworkManager? I tried Conman briefly and didn't love the experience on goofy university wifi networks (although I'd consider going back to it). Suspending my laptop fucks up NM so I need to find an alternative

Hi guys, installing gentoo atm, and I'm wondering what I have to do differently from the guide for full disk encryption. I gather that I have to use dm-crypt and lvm, but how much of the stuff needs to be done during disk partitioning and what can be done later?

Attached: IMG-20190505-WA0000.jpg (1050x398, 49K)

i3

dwm

bspwm github.com/baskerville/bspwm

bspwm

ratpoison, if you mostly just have one window on fullscreen at a time anyway.

Hi friends,
Since when has this been available on GNU/Linux systems?

"New features in this terminal include support for multiple tabs, multiple profiles, and even GPU accelerated text rendering – which allows the use of emojis."

mybroadband.co.za/news/software/305368-windows-10-is-replacing-command-prompt-and-powershell.html

i3. take a little time to customize it and it's very comfy.
if you're stuck this early on you aren't ready for gentoo. install arch and follow the install guide on their wiki.

Is there ANY distro that can handle sleep/suspend without any bugs? I am on Ubuntu for a couple of years now and it can never wake up from a suspend. The computer starts up and the screen remains dark. alt+f2 or whatever isn't showing anything either.

Attached: head.png (1912x3232, 2.35M)

The former two have been standard features for terminal emulators (Konsole, GNOME Terminal, Xfce Terminal) on the last major iterations of the most popular DEs beginning in the 90's, and the latter for about a decade since the Cairo library underpinning GUI toolkits became popular for accelerated 2D rendering.
Emojis are a fairly recent addition but have been supported at least on the last few versions of GNOME, too.

Thanks. I hate to sound like a lazy bitch, but could you specify years? Or at least sources

weell suspend finally works on my gentoo machine i have problem with this on ubuntu too, when i close the lid i cant wake up ubuntu anymore have to restart but on gentoo it works fine i dont know why i use same DE WM as on ubuntu

Attached: 58430409_361362507845478_6684311427294953472_n.jpg (960x910, 79K)

Do you happen to have an nvidia GPU? I have a 1050ti and use the proprietary drivers and I worry it might be the cause. But if gentoo does manage to wake up I might actually give a try to a gentoo-based distro.

It looks like Cairo as a C library is rather prominent in the GTK+ and FLTK ecosystem, while Qt ships with its own drawing engines which support OpenGL acceleration.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics)#Notable_usage

Rendering on Windows on the other hand was software-only for a long time since XP introduced GDI+ and compositing on Vista made everything software-rendered until Direct2D was introduced.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface#Windows_XP

Regarding tabs and profiles I can't say much except that they were definitely already there in the GNOME 2.x and KDE 3.x series.

well on my gentoo machine i have 1050 ti but on my lpatop i have some AMD GPU where it doesnt work anyway

Attached: oh-yeah-yeah-768x768.jpg (768x768, 30K)

KDE

its installer fucks up at some point and JUST forgets to install coreutils.
I've seen people migrating to NixOS because of amount of bugs GuixSD has.
there's threads about it but the devs remain silent.

After apt update and upgrade I'm getting a really annoying issue with my keyboard in i3. When I press h in gnome desktop xev gives pic related, but when in i3 I get
KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
root 0x4e6, subw 0x0, time 15939712, (377,144), root:(381,1118),
state 0x0, keycode 47 (keysym 0x3b, semicolon), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (3b) ";"
XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (3b) ";"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
root 0x4e6, subw 0x0, time 15939852, (377,144), root:(381,1118),
state 0x0, keycode 47 (keysym 0x3b, semicolon), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (3b) ";"
XFilterEvent returns: False

I don't even know where to start fixing this... Ubuntu 16.04 btw

Do you guys use an archive viewer? Which one?

forgot pic :DDDDD

(this is when I press h in gnome)
Oh, on a qwerty keyboard it's the : : key, I've remapped it, but all the other remaps work in i3

Attached: Selection_304.png (817x592, 105K)

Any cool recommended software image for GNU/Linux?

ddrescue (create image from defective medium) and foremost (file scanner used by law enforcement).

Thanks friend

What is the point to install linux now that Windows is getting a terminal?

Works on Arch. You're referring to suspend/sleep, not hibernate/suspend-to-disk, correct?

Some of us just don't like dick in our mouths. That's all. But some people do, and I'm not here to judge.

not having one shitty desktop environment theme for years?
not using an all-proprietary basic OS?
not depending on one corporation's whim when it comes to massive changes?
not having to pay anything to anyone?

>there's threads about it but the devs remain silent.
Threads where? They have no forum. The mailing list is pretty active and they've already patched the installation instruction documents with notes about the bugs and how to work around them.

But yeah, bugs are to be expected. It was also probably not a good idea for them to introduce the installer for the very first time at the 1.0 release. It was a totally new thing, the previous version never had it.

without any troll attempt...
> WSL 2 will be even more powerful
> Terminal will be super awesome
But...

> you still don't have a GUI with desktops and all
> no KVM GPU passthrough
> services and all that are still easier over Linux

Linux still has it's uses, but Microsoft really kicked the "desktop Linux" in the balls.

i3 if you want easy to learn/customize;
awesome if you want to customize it like mad;
any other obscure tilling wm (like ratpoison, bspwm, xmonad) if you are autistic

good for them, didn't know they've already mentioned this in manuals
anyway, for me personally, it's not quite the full-fledged os I can use on a workstation. It's way too raw, and it's not easy to fix it manually since it greatly differs from generic gnu/linux, being based on its own general-purpose language. I couldn't even figure out how to configure basic ALSA. Maybe when they get closer to 1.5, we'll see

>but Microsoft really kicked the "desktop Linux" in the balls.
lol no

turns out updating i3wm fixed it. ebin :D

they ran Linux because of Docker and dev tools. they got dev tools with WSL1, now they have Docker with WSL2 and also a super modern tabbed Terminal...

and we can argue that yea, it's basedboy web devs who use these. but they at least donated.

A message from Bruce Perens (1999)
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1999/02/msg01641.html

Any idea why this happens? Some unlisted depenency maybe? Installing autogen doesn't help. Previous build works, but I can't update this one for at least 2 weeks now. I started to doubt that source / PKGBUILD is fucked.
> yay -S megatools-git
(...)
==> Starting prepare()...
/home/:^)/.cache/yay/megatools-git/PKGBUILD: line 29: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
Aborting...
Error making: megatools-git

But user, Linux is a kernel. WSL1's kernel was NT.

install ubuntu

Look into line 29 in autogen.sh

Attached: eac9eadd7b1dbdefcc11e12d84f1d042316f0b8474d37d8cf3a9e855607ba5c5.gif (250x194, 13K)

github.com/megous/megatools
The PKGBUILD is outdated (it's literally marked as such) because the source code has moved from GitHub. Of course there's no autogen.sh anymore.
Try updating the source to the new location:
source=('git://megous.com/megatools')

I like not having 2.0/7.9 of RAM, and 40/240 of storage being used up passively. Also I don't like how Windows handles updates. It takes ages and makes the computer unusable.
Meanwhile, my Xubuntu installation uses 0.5/7.9 of RAM and around 10/60 storage. It can update the system WHILE I am watching a video or browsing. Once in a couple of months it will suggest a reboot because some updates do require it, but it won't take forever to reboot like Windows does.

Attached: LTwHFX3.jpg (1469x868, 116K)

hey, it's actually super good

Attached: ZFS.png (547x509, 36K)

I have a Debian 7 machine that decided one day to fuck up the GUI, I'm trying to update and upgrade but it can't find the repositories.

How can I fix this without reinstalling? I have a webpage and a database in there and I don't have the MySQL user to back it up.

saved, thanks

why do i have three fucking polybar bars running at the same time

Attached: 1553107170527.jpg (1920x1080, 223K)

How can I check through the terminal if I have an internet connection?

Is goldendict the best dictionary?

will the new windows/linux kernel mean I can run like run slackware inside of windows without a VM. or is it mainly just used to test linux programs your writing without having to actually install a linux partition?

Attached: arya.png (1882x817, 679K)

ping gnu.org

It means your breath tastes like cum

I remember being 12!
epic burn kid!

a help from github returned me with these commands to be written on the config
killall -q polybar

# Wait until the processes have been shut down
while pgrep -u $UID -x polybar >/dev/null; do sleep 1; done

can i just dump it at the end of the script? i'm not a progremmer

thanks

le ur breath smells like jizz -q phgrep u#

You can shutdown the MySQL database and then restart it with the --skip-grant-tables parameter to either reset the database root password or create a database backup with mysqldump.
support.rackspace.com/how-to/mysql-resetting-a-lost-mysql-root-password/

Anyway, Debian 7 has been removed from the official mirrors and doesn't receive updates anymore, so you should replace your mirror in /etc/apt/sources.list with the Debian archive, e.g.
deb archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main
Comment out any wheezy-updates or security.debian.org lines, those don't apply to old versions either.

spectrwm
it just werks :)

is there any good safe browser(privacy, like ungoogled chromium) to use in ubuntu 19.04?

When I open a new program in Ubuntu it doesn't get the focus automatically, which is annoying because I can't just start typing right away.
It seems to be a bug since it only happens sometimes. Can this behavior be fixed?

Attached: ba659ad3ee24a209af8a928d30160435.jpg (622x532, 37K)

I'm building a new computer and I'm thinking I'll take the plunge and install GNU+Linux instead of going to W10. But I'm not sure which GPU I should go for. I've heard that the NVIDIA drivers on Linux are much worse compared to AMD. I'm not too concerned about open source vs. proprietary video drivers because I figure a company would just put their backdoors on the card anyway.

Attached: 1553292093214.jpg (476x560, 34K)

bros PLEASE help how the fuck do i get ungoogled chromium on ubuntu, seriously i can only find how install on debian.

How long does your linux machine take to start up?

ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/
Download here and install.

Debian and Ubuntu is basically the same thing. Show me what you got.

to have a build from 2k17? no thanks; i'd rather repackage it myself

line 29 of PKGBUILD if anything, autogen doesn't exist

Thanks, I'll look into that. Why tf everyone moves from github recently. It may be shit, but it works. Just make it your backup if you don't like it. Moving code back and forth and therefore limiting availability and redundancy is autism.

GNU/Linux*

>ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/
Will it even work, mine is 19.04.
To be fair i am quite new to linux , i have no idea how download shit not from repositories.

Usually, on Debian and Debian-based distros: if you get binaries, you put them into /opt, add /opt to your $PATH and profit. If it's sources code, you get the dependencies, built the program and run checkinstall to create a package for apt (actually for dpkg).

The open source drivers for AMD is better and work better in general with Linux but in term of performance it's on par with the Nvidia proprietary software. Check out phoronix. They just did a benchmark

>babble pabble poo

GNU IceCat

Attached: 1554252679298.png (874x1024, 509K)

Pretty sure, but don't ask me where to find this setting. AFAIK you can choose between the normal behavior, Tür behavior you just have and focus follows mouse.

Just install Android in Linux and put it into Windows, that way you get an agile Unix ecosystem with cloud support and blockchain security. It's pretty much industry standard by now.

If you are talking about this, it doesn't fix the behavior.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-07 12-44-59.png (735x298, 23K)

Excuse me, i didn't use Ubuntu for a while

WSL1 was a GNU subsystem for NT which translates API calls, i.e. Linuxspeak into NTspeak. With WSL2, you get GNU and the actual Linux kernel on top on a VM, so it isn't really a subsystem anymore, just a virtual machine.
It's the reinvented wheel with a Microsoft badge.

Including the time it takes me to pick the Xubuntu boot it takes like 7 seconds until I see the login menu. Windows 10 is not much more if there are no updates, but there usually are updates and it can take anything from a minute to 20 minutes.

Ok so i have a old compaq laptop laying around with incel celeron and 2gigs of ram all i want to do with it is playing doom/quake 1 and melty and some osrs, no way windows would run on it in any chance so any perfect distro for this shitter?

Attached: 1557186165179.jpg (735x748, 307K)

Both have the same issue for me.

antix is supposed to be toaster-friendly
antixlinux.com/

asking again
how do I solve this encoding issue?
writing a resume with groff markup, upon compiling it turns accents and other (non-ascii?) characters into gibberish

Attached: 2019-05-06-223917_104x32_scrot.png (104x32, 2K)

>1999
Depressing, the whole thing

Attached: 1541301029298.jpg (900x877, 88K)

Anything with lxde or xfce and it will be a unironically a perfectly usable computer.
I suggest Debian. I think atrix is based on Debian.

Kek