Linux accounts for 0.1% of video game sales but >20% of crash and support tickets

>Linux accounts for 0.1% of video game sales but >20% of crash and support tickets

Give one reason reason why corporations should pay attention to the woes of Linux gamers. No wonder Epic Games Store is abandoning them.

Attached: 1557165905880.png (615x660, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-2019-January-Stats
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195303
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>make a shitty port
>it crashes all the time
>no one uses it
woah

>make shitty software
>software crashes
>software AUTO reports crashes
>be surprised software that crashes a lot and auto reports said crashes has a lot of reports

b-but we almost 1% on steam! !! year of the Linux desktop confirmed! !!
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-2019-January-Stats

>Make shitty Total Annihilation clone
>wonder why people skip it and keep playing Total Annihilation

good software doesn't bitch and moan like this useless fucking faggot. linux is too good for him.

here's a crazy idea: disable auto tickets for the linux version.

I know from my despite 13% training that the software, which they wrote, crashes 200 times more than other versions. I'm surprised they made that public. That would be embarrassing to a company that cares about code quality.

Based Epic Games running roughshod over retarded gaymers and their toys. I hope they continue fucking them in the ass at every opportunity.

No reason. GNU/Linux had its chance and it blew it. Valve never really took it seriously beyond its grand scheme to make some shitty console STEAMMACHINE with it, everyone else was just waiting to see if anything good came out of it, and meanwhile GNU/Linux developers went into full retard mode trying to "improve" it into a complete, unfocused, unstable, shitty, bad technology pile of shit. And on top of that Valve decides the only remaining scrap it was going to throw GNU/Linux was "we're going to make you behave like Windows and half-ass play Windows games in Wine, sorry we didn't take you seriously k bye."

lol

Attached: IMG_20190507_034440.jpg (1436x2274, 406K)

I think it was (still is?) more that Valve wants a credible weapon to brandish at Microsoft. Cause remember, MS really wants people to be going through their own Windows 10 app store, where they can control all the software that Windows runs, a platform like Steam blows a hole in that plan. Which, admittedly, they seem to be less strident about than they were a few years ago.

Linux support in Steam was meant to make MS think again before taking on Valve and doing something heavy-handed, since if people could switch to Linux that interferes with the strategy MS has used for years, which is essentially telling users "What we say is what happens. Where are you gonna go, anyway, what other OS could you use?"

What did they blew? The only market that hasn't been completely dominated by Linux is desktop and there's even a steady rise there. More games would maybe be nice to have, but they're not essential. One developer who isn't embarrassed by his incompetence and a Twitter rant don't mean anything.

If you make a Windows client it runs well on Windows. If you make a GNU+Linux client it runs well on GNU+Linux. If you make a shitty port of the Windows client for GNU+Linux you get what you deserve.
>Valve never really took it seriously
You have to warn people before making a joke like that, someone might spit their drink out. Valve is putting everything they have on Linux. The games that they own have native ports and now they made every other game in Steam to work as well. What more could they do, start porting every non-Valve game themselves?

>bragging about making a shit port

based

This is what happens when you reduce the % cut the store takes, they start cutting costs.

The good Windows goyim bought it though.
If you can sell 1000x more copies on Windows why even bother porting it over to Linux?

we live in a society

Attached: society.jpg (500x500, 40K)

You can also just make call of battlenite #5345 or mobile shit with micro transactions, the good goyim will eat that shit up as well.

>GNU/Linux had its chance and it blew it
Neither Linux or the GNU suite are for-profit organizations, no fucks given about market penetration. If anything, it's Canonical who missed the opportunity of being an competitive alternative to Microsoft. Look at how Android engulfed the smartphone OS market with the support of a huge machine like Google. Surprise, it has a Linux kernel.

lower the fee for linux ports

Someone's got a god complex

>Hey your crappy software crashes here is the bug report t.lunix
>Fuck you lingnus stop sending those bugreports! t.devs

Attached: 400350000.jpg (367x388, 17K)

>most gfx driver related
Let me guess, it's Nvidia's dumpster fire? I wouldn't be surprised. They are incompetent fucks if they cannot exclude/autogroup those crashes in their ticketing system. Plus they should have contacted the driver authors to fix their crap.

linux also contains some of the absolute worst bitter neckbeard virgins who will give you a bad rating for a stutter.
making a linux version of your game only gives you negative ratings on Steam for almost no extra profit

DESPITE

It's more likely that the kind of people who use Linux are developers and understand that reporting problems helps the devs make it better

VERB OF NOUNS
PLAY NOW MY LORD
I mean it's hard to blame people for taking the route to easy money

why do ppl even want linux support? there is wine, hello? all linux needs is them to not make it shitty enough to not run with wine, why do you need 'native'?

linux is great ... why ruin it with gamers tho?

you're a fucking moron. last i know valve hired that dx11 to vulkan guy full time which resulted in that fork of wine called proton

>20% of crash and support tickets
it's almost like the linux ports are total shit because the developers are assholes
what an amazing concept

>inb4 they're all using nvidia gpus

nvidia has drivers they said

Tech Tips BTFO

Same as me first, you read that wrong. Those are AUTO reports, meaning the game just runs shitty on Linux. Instead of admitting their mistakes, the devs complain about the OS and its users.

I kinda wish Microsoft would double down on the PC version of their game store. I like the fact that games that are certified "games for Windows 10" that you buy, you get the Xbox One version for free and saved games sync between the two. I play a lot of State of Decay 2, and I love that my settlements are present on both platforms so I can have friends with PC join up and help me do shit, and then invite Xbox friends to join us

This is how shitty devs cope with their poor code. If you're looking for easy money and don't want to learn anything, you better make Windows exclusives.

> 0.1%
> 20%
DESPITE

>most people who run linux don't even bother with gaming on it
>those who do game usually dual boot windows or run it in a VM
>those who do actually game on linux probably give more of a shit about bugs so are more willing to send crash reports for your buggy game
hmmm.

Attached: 2018-05-18 05.35.48 @Protodesu @_Garasaki @crunchobar [997415279175974912].jpg (2023x1847, 640K)

you get what you pay for except if you pay for a video game on linux then you get the tweet in the op

This. I honestly agree with Carmack in that Proton/Wine is the proper technical direction for playing games on Linux (at least, for the time being) because most game developers have absolutely no fucking clue how to port a game on Linux and don't bother to continue supporting the game after release, and then they blame the OS and users when the end result is a terrible mess. I've honestly found that many games run MUCH better through Proton than they do through their fucking native Linux version. Developers also seem way more comfortable with debugging issues related to Wine than they do debugging issues related to a native Linux port. It really is better for a "develop once, fire, and forget" solution like Proton to exist.

>those who do actually game on linux probably give more of a shit about bugs so are more willing to send crash reports for your buggy game
This too. Generally speaking, Linux users are far more likely to send in bug reports (for anything, not just for games), for the sake of being helpful. Game developers are fucking full of themselves and tend to take this personally, though.

>nvidia proprietary drivers that refuse to follow established standards are causing issues
Linus was right. Fuck you, nvidia.

>No wonder Epic Games Store is abandoning them.
1. Linux is a kernel
2. Epic never supported gnu/linux
3. kill yourself back to Jow Forums dumb twitter faggot

how come anything valve ports to linux works flawlessly?

linux is a nigger OS confirmed

Proper design and the engine generally being super old somewhat helps.

"Oy vey stop noticing things" said OP as his toy OS went up in flames.

Stop crying everyone. Linux will never be popular on desktop except someone like Google / Amazon gets involved. Just look at chromebooks, this is how it should be done if GNU/Linux wants even 20% of the PC market.

No normie ever will ever say: "oh look how cool is to install arch", "I love my desktop rice", or whatever guys with fedora will like.

The world is moving faster and faster, if you tell someone to modify "a config file" to play a game, or even google it, their interest goes to 0.

But, windows will die and we all play games on a 6" screen with bunch of icons on it because (let's face it ) this is the future.

Attached: aharch.jpg (628x625, 90K)

>use garbage OS
>expect everything to run on it like it does on other OS's
>it doesn't

woah

There's a special layer in hell for nvidia employees

Someone's got a cuck complex

There’s nothing wrong with sharing your girlfriend if it makes you both happy.

Most enginges does actually do a good job of porting stuff to other OS:es.
Why not exploit markets that are well in reach of you?

shut the fuck up cuck boy

Attached: cuck_boi.jpg (900x900, 78K)

>autotickets
And nothing of value was stated.

d e s p i t e

being less than 0.1% of the sales

The Lintard denial in this thread is fucking hilarious.

who cares.

>use meme OS knowing it's not supported by games
>expect everyone to bend over backwards for you when it's demonstratably considerably unprofitable
Big think hours

Dindoonix

>Make game supported by memeOS
>But not really
One day, someone on here is gonna do they biggest think of them all and then we'll have nothing to argue about

Attached: why_so_mad.png (420x664, 235K)

PA is a shitfest on Windows, so I assume the Linux version wasn't tested at all either.

Legitimately what are you getting out of ruining Jow Forums with stormnigger shit?

>Jow Forums cries about how everything is left wing propaganda
>they justify their racism with actual propaganda posters
Big think hours going into overtime

Attached: 1555529153990.jpg (357x459, 19K)

It's not wrong though. Jews are behind Bolshevism.

Imagine actually letting the internet turn you into this much of a paranoid retard

Your ad hominem does not negate this objective truth. I will wait.

>Imagine actually letting the internet turn you into this much of a paranoid retard

Attached: ok.png (512x512, 37K)

I've never understood the gaming industry. What we want:
>ability to play games in PC mode because there's shit ton more content and mods available
>and can do other shit too
What we get:
>crappy xbone and PSgook
>no variety or flexibility in how things can be played
>pay to fucking play online
>crappy communities
>crappy hardware can't be upgraded
>crappy apparels that easily break
>can't even plug a standard USB mouse or keyboard in most of this shit
>platform-specific game releases die after a few days
>when xbone/gooks decide they aren't making enough money, they port their games, that were made on a PC, to a fucking PC with the worst control handling and support
>also hackers literally never get caught cus muh not hackable (until it is)

I guess what I want is a decent 'box' that plays games like they would on PC, except it's manufactured in such a way that the hardware is easily upgradable and the entire thing comes as standard for everyone. None of this searching and shopping and trying to understand all the funny code and lingo of the hardware, but also not the jewish inverse where every god damn week there's yet more hardware I gotta plug in to play
also nobody should have to pay to play online; if niggers ain't hosting the servers, then hand over the server tools to those that will

If the xbone had standard mouse/keyboard support; easily upgradable parts; and a standard computer UI, Steam wouldn't be a thing and we'd have HL3 by now

What I see: Shitty software crashes a lot and auto reports all the crashes, people try to improve the software by making a lot and detailed crash reports.

What corporate dick sees: For 0.1% of sales there are more than 20% of crash auto reports and support tickets, making us do more work(spending more money) and not making us all of the money, quality of product be damned.

>VERB OF NOUNS
>PLAY NOW MY LORD
I don't know why I found this so funny

You have to understand what the gaming industry wants: Massive fucking amounts of money, as fast as possible.
Guess whom you can make a shit ton of money from: The small amount of sophisticated pennywise people who want moddable, long and deep games who analyse shown footage and learn from your previous releases...
Or the masses of fucking plebs who are unable to control their spending, who immediately pre-order anything as long as the trailer follows the normie-appeal-formula, who immediately forget how downgraded your games are compared to the trailers are 2 minutes of anger when Johnny YouTube talks about it?
All they wnat is to pop a disk into their PlayStation, see an "install" bar fly across the screen and then play, no questions asked and who spends tens of thousands of dollars in Microtransactions in a game whose servers you're going to shut down next year so they can spend that same amount once again (see: Fifa)

You can hardly blame the modern gaming industry. Of course they abandoned us.

>most gfx driver related
that really sounds about right

would be nice if it was broken down by card manufacturer, because there's a really obvious answer to such a high volume of crash bugs (nvidia)

also
>talks about userbase
>despite these being automatic reports
if your game manages to fuck up so hard that not even 1% of your customers' machines are causing a whopping 20% of your autoreports, that's probably just you shipping something broken

This. Normieniggers are the problem. Everything they touch turns into steamy shit.

>Give one reason reason why corporations should pay attention to the woes of Linux gamers. No wonder Epic Games Store is abandoning them.
they shouldn't, i really don't care... if you're older than 16 you shouldn't be playing video games anyway

hahahaha what an idiot

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 18.32.14.png (640x578, 66K)

That's what happens when you try to sell to entitled manbabies.
Freetards are cancer.

Who is this fat fuck and why should I care anyway?

got'em

linux is less than 1% of the desktop user share and ever fewer of them are gamers, why bother

Given it was mostly graphics driver related i can only assume it was a symptom of the time it was released where the GPU drivers might have been somewhat less mature than they are now?

>Write your terrible, clunky RTS game using DirectX API
>Have to rewrite huge swathes of bullshit because you decided to rely on an insane Windows API system
>It doesn't werk good
>On any OS
k

linux is ridiculously unstable on modern desktops. The main problem is with gpu drivers. It took a year after the release of skylake for igpu drivers to not inevitably crash the whole system after several hours. A better driver just didn't exist - the only working alternative was full software rendering.
The second problem is with sound drivers, I didn't have any problem with crashes, just with sound not working in many apps or ridiculous latencies. My father got a ryzen 2 build about a year ago, he uses linux.
Mainboard microphone quality was absolutely horrible
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195303
guess what, the bug is still not fixed.
>Reported: 2017-04-09 18:55 UTC by icebalm
>Modified: 2019-05-01 01:04 UTC
After investigation I realized the bug is unfixable (without fixing it in code manually) and told him to buy a $5 usb microphone dongle as the only solution. Or switch to windows, where the microphone worked perfectly.
He bought the dongle.
>Since this bug is open for over two years and there was no response from any developer
the absolute state of linux on desktop in 2019

They wouldn't have to do all the fixes themselves if they'd just open sourcing it instead of being corporate cucks

I'd go fix it but I won't submit to the CoC

>expecting nonfree shitware to work on a platform comprised mostly of free and open source software built using shitty ancient langauges without a clear module system and linked against known working configurations and feature toggles.
>surprised one size fits all nonfree shitware in said legacy language doesn't work in this environment.

Bug reports are a good thing if they care about making a quality product.

Not when the bug reports aren't yours to fix.

>0.1% of sales
>most reports are because of your retarded driver shenanigans
>HURR WHY NO ONE CARE ABOUT MUH LOONIX YEAR OF THE DESKTOP™

Seriously there is so much wrong with Linux but all you need to mention is GPU drivers and sound.
All of the other problems combined aren't as devastating as either of those on it's own.

>software crash or doesn't werk
>search for solution on google
>"ACKCHYUALLY it's not [insert the software] but it's a [insert dependency]'s bug"

Attached: cm.jpg (492x449, 30K)

All a company needs to do to make their game cross compatible is use a cross compatible graphics api. Linux users will port the rest of their game for free with wine/proton.

... so ... if what computers are for is video games, then Linus Torvalds is some kind of idiot. Okay.