Best Linux Distro to Learn On

I am wanting to learn Linux and I do realize that this is a hot button topic that a lot of you have personal opinions and are loyal to specific/certain distros. I have found the immersion is the best way to learn. I am wanting to eventually get a CEH and know that I need to learn the command line. Is there a way to give me some straight forward info on which Linux release would be best to learn on. I have heard that Mint is a pretty straight forward jump what with Cinnamon but will I learn on it or is it too simplified. I also know Red Hat is an amazing distro. I look forward to all of your help and feedback and please be gentle lol. I am also wanting my LPIC-1/2

Attached: Tux.gif (312x312, 27K)

theres this one distro called gentoo its pretty good so i recommend you to use it

Attached: 1556893785724.png (400x420, 25K)

Op here > I feel like that may be a little outside my realm what with all the customization and all.. I want to get familiar with Linux first before I go crazy with options and what not.

define "learn Linux", that covers a lot of ground. I'd probably advise you to pick one of the bigger-name distros simply because you'll have a wider software selection and probably fewer of the bugs and gaps that a distro maintained on a shoestring can have. But it's really up to you since pretty much anything can be done on pretty much any distro. So pick a distro, install it, and use Linux. Not just for learning, use it for your ordinary everyday shit, fixing problems and trying new things as they come up. Eventually you'll have opinions on how you think a distro ought to be run, which package manager is better, the merits of stability vs. bleeding edge, and so on. Once you have said opinions they'll point you toward a distro that best matches them that you can settle on.

the only real exceptions are stuff like "I wanna be a sysadmin and I'm gonna get this Red Hat certification" or something. If you wanna do that you need a machine running their distro. But even then it can be a VM or a different computer that you SSH into, your main machine can run any damn distro you please.

linux from scratch

I basically want to learn the command line syntax and get comfortable inside of the OS. Maybe figure out how to set up Freenas with ZFS. IDK just want to learn.

Are you referencing something?

start off with linux mint or debian.

Cinnamon or MATE?

cinnamon

FreeNAS isn't Linux at all, it's FreeBSD with a web interface slapped on top. If you wanna learn stuff you can use BSD (there are plenty of differences, but a lot of the basics are the same) but I'd say you should install it yourself and set up the ZFS and file-serving bits on your own, instead of having an installer and a web interface do it for you, if you want to learn how the stuff actually fits together.

Note that a lot of Linuxes ship ZFS on Linux these days, so you can build such a system on either Linux or BSD.

You smell ESL.
Either way, if you really want to get into tech, just go practice the CLI with puppy linux or another lightweight distro so that you don't waste too much RAM and space when you set up the virtual machine. Unless you have 16 GBs of RAM like I do.

And of course you have to search for a certain special book that teaches you about the CLI; alternatively you should read the sticky.

Attached: __hijiri_byakuren_houraisan_kaguya_komeiji_satori_remilia_scarlet_saigyouji_yuyuko_and_others_touhou (672x476, 122K)

windows 10

Op here...Win 10 is Shit. Also, update I am now on Mint Cinnamon and holy shit this thing is fast.... Me likey

fpbp

Attached: Minty Goodness.png (1918x1079, 626K)

Listen to me here:
NO DISTRIBUTION, except LFS (which really isn't a distribution) will actually "teach you how GNU/Linux" works. You can learn it with pretty much any distribution.
The point of "advanced" distributions isn't really about them being "hard" for no reason: it's that they are often simply more barebones by default, and make it easier for you to make choices regarding your system. That's the main reason I use Gentoo, which I find actually easier to use than, say, Arch or Void. Nice tools such as equery, q, genlop and eselect are very useful.
That said, if you want a starting point, go with a lean and minimal Debian installation and play with it.

Learning Linux the hard way: Gentoo, Arch
Leaning Linux as a user: Debian and its offshoots

This

Just set aside some time every week to fuck around with something new in a vm

Unironically arch and then gentoo and maybe LFS. And use it as your main OS to get used to it and not distro hop.

Attached: 1556868674456.png (322x395, 201K)

Linux is the same whatever distribution you choose. Asking "what is the best distro" is only the same as asking "Which vegetables do you like best". Come back when you have done some research and can ask better questions

Attached: 1556276801429.jpg (960x640, 305K)

FreeBSD

What a fucking retarded comparison. Not all vegetables are the same.

this is acutally accurate

Windows 10 unironically

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Should I learn linux using Slackware?

Attached: doommug.jpg (488x488, 47K)

The amount of autists in those threads...

Just install Ubuntu, start a terminal and do some shit there. grep is grep, vim is vim, bash is bash.

They're all the same you won't "learn linux" any more if you use a l33t distro just install fedora and learn bash

yes except most distros nowadays have either systembloat or retarded package managers (apt) so most likely you'll have to deal with those at one point. slackware did teach me a lot though (e.g. compiling a fucking kernel because hardware doesn't work instead of just clicking a button in ubuntu or whatever else, runlevels, init, compiling programs myself, etc.) while remaining usable as an actual os.

Setup a virtual machine with Debian and use just to get the basics, after one week or so feel free to start reading Linux from Scratch and learning Bash.

Thanks for the reassurance user.
I used Linux Mint and Sabayon some years ago, don't really remember any valuable skills, and I've been wanting to pull the plug on using Windows for a while now.
Wanted to get a distro with less bloat than usual and more stable infrequent updates so slack looked like a good direction especially to learn on, though I am aware that my head will hurt a bit trying to figure out how to use it when I need stuff like drivers to get working.
Hope I manage to force myself through this learning curve.