Does anybody still use CD-Rs? Why?

Does anybody still use CD-Rs? Why?

Attached: IMG_20190507_183351.jpg (1280x720, 261K)

Software, especially bootable discs for OSes.

still? not all machines have cd readers. switched to usb years ago.

not all machines willing to boot from usb

Everything made in the last 12 years does, or even older if you libreboot it

sure, but the OVERWHELMING majority of computers do

I use them daily. My car doesn't have a more contemporary audio input, so I burn a CD every 3 days or something.

>Does anybody still use CD-Rs?
Yes
>Why?
To use them on machines that have a CD drive.

I don't think I've used a CD-R since about 2008-2009. I buy pressed CDs for music, but that's it.

they're the only thing my dad will use.
>being on Jow Forums and owning a car
>not getting a $50 radio with an aux jack or a $20 radio transmitter for your phone thing so your mobile device can broadcast to an unused fm station for your car

It's because I play with a lot of older hardware. Plus it's nice to have permanent copies of things, something which isn't as practical with USB drives.

maybe personal computers
but there's plenty of servers configured without USB ports on the front

My daily device has a USB 1.1 port. It is easier and faster to boot from a CD.

When I do something myself, I know exactly how it was done. By purchasing and ripping audio CDs (DVDs and Blu-rays as well) I am
>providing a physical backup to the copy I ripped
>keeping as well of a tab as I possibly could on how my media has been obtained/treated (manufacturer -> me, no middleman)
>building a physical collection

long-term storage, unlike flash memory

Sega Saturn and PlayStation 1 bootlegs.

In majority of cases it's because people have old cars that don't have USB ports or work with their phones to play music from.

It's a way to safely store data.
And I like to buy music CDs still, I go to thrift stores and buy bunch of them for a couple of bucks, it's how I find new stuff.
I like that I don't need any kind of computer to use them, no need for internet either.

I don't even own optical disc technology anymore of any variety whatsoever. Shocking to me, then again one of my first actions as a baby was destroying a CD so maybe I've always hated them deep down.

I buy music CDs and rip them to FLAC.
>buh muh spotifag
fuck off that garbage doesn't even have music at all

Yes, senior parents need physcial, tactile media so I burn songs ripped from Spotify or from torrent for their simple pleasures in life.

Don't cdrs eventually rot though? They're no better than using a thumbdrive to store data?

It depends on how you store them, I still have 20yo CD-Rs.

>get a CD
>burn a copy of your password manager, the git repo for your project, stuff like that to it
>give it to friend/relative and ask them to keep it in a drawer somewhere

easy and cheap way to do off-site backups. only downside is not a lot of space, but your anime hoard can make do with plain redundancy instead of proper multi-copy offsite backups.

Read only data and reports that have to be sent in places or stored specifically with paperwork.

My 2011 desktop resuses

Dreamcast for me

Depends on which type.
I have old CDs which still run, music CDs mostly, some are nearly 30 years old and still run without problems.
I read somewhere that most issues come with rewritable CDs which use a different layer which is more prone to decay. So I prefer to stick to single-write discs.

Also you have M-Discs but I never tried or tested them, they're supposed to be the strongest and most durable CDs out there.
Storing dry and with a stable temperature is always important for long-term storage of anything, obviously.

Disc rot.

See

its good to put debian on.

I still use (dual layer) DVDs for long-term backups. I don't use CDs for anything though.

Do you have any experience with disc rot?
I personally have more experiences with bad thumbdrives. Discs have always worked fine for me.
But thumbdrives or SD cards, I have had more problems with data loss on those.

I'm open to other alternatives.

This, plus , though my car does have Bluetooth and AUX. I still like to have a CD with my music in case I'm too lazy to plug in my phone. Also if I want to play any games on my modchipped PS2.

I have yet to see a server post 1995 that can't boot from USB or Network.

Not him but my dual-pentium III Xeon server can't boot from USB. It can boot from netwok, but it's way easier to just boot it from a CD.

I burn music CD's for the woman.

I put the information of ppl i hack inside them