Non-neets: how long did you stay at your first engineering job? I don't want to stick around for a day more than 1 year...

Non-neets: how long did you stay at your first engineering job? I don't want to stick around for a day more than 1 year. Our most senior engineer who has been here for 15 years and programming for 20 is only making 82k.

Attached: abigail.jpg (356x436, 17K)

Your company sucks and/or they suck at negotiation

Not a software engineer, but in the ISP industry and I'm making pretty close to that with less than 5 years experience

NEET here. the real deal is in teaching. NO amount of money can EVER compare to a yearly summer vacation. unless you are talking about literally tens of millions where you could bust your ass for a few years and retire at 30.

Attached: 1556506712560.jpg (640x341, 20K)

I think the company just sucks. The absolute most you can get as a yearly raise is 4%, which is iff you land in the absolute top performer bucket. Performing well is 2.5%, average is 1%, below average is 0%/getting canned.

>engineering
this word doesnt mean what you think it means

I've done:
>just under two years
>just under two years
>just under three years
Then I quit without looking for another job. Now I've been working on personal projects until I find a company I'm more interested in.

If you don't job hop before 1.5 years ends you are a complete cuck

Every time I job hopped (3 now) at 2.5 yoe I got a raise of 15k. If you're not continuously applying for jobs oyu are actually the biggest cuck in the world.

Attached: 1545738776563.jpg (1112x978, 193K)

I work as a computer engineer designing circuits, writing VHDL, doing embedded C, and applications level C++. You're literally unemployed. Stop gatekeeping a shitty title.

3.5, i was going to move after 2 but the company matched my new offer and threw in some more bonuses

Yeah that's shit. Milk them for experience/training and move elsewhere. Unfortunately in a lot of tech roles you aren't valued much and need to get raises with company changes instead of traditional promotion.

I bought into the "work hard, demonstrate value, get rewarded for your loyalty" meme for years, once I accepted the natural order of capitalism is to fuck the worker I got my shit together and doubled my salary in the space of a year.

Is job hopping just an American thing?

This, there is literally nothing wrong with job hopping, despite what boomers would like you to believe.
As long as you don't break contracts, you're good.

working in software in the USA is basically just larping really hard at a company for 1-2 years and then hopping to another company for a 20k+ raise. Do this 10 times and you're retired by 40.

>Performing well is 2.5%, average is 1%, below average is 0%/getting canned.
I work in fucking retail and get better raises than that. yearly inflation is 3% so if you getting at least that much then you're literally getting demoted every year lol

Nah, same in Australia too

Haven't heard of this here in Germany, I only ever read about it on Jow Forums.
Maybe we just get proper promotions? Or nobody talks about it?

its definitely a thing in the UK too (even working for a german company here)

What many people don't realize (or refuse to admit) is that loyalty and respect must always go both ways.
If your company is treating you badly and underpaying you, you owe them nothing.

100%
With the odd exception, companies are gonna exploit you for your labour. Loyalty is just another way of keeping you around without spending more money.

Obviously there are some companies that genuinely do treat you fairly and respectfully, and if you find one of them then do everything you can to stay there, but so many more are going to wear that sort of thing like a creepy skin suit and be like "yeah man enjoy the air hockey and pizzas while you do your 10th hour of unpaid overtime - whoops, no raises this year, we spent it all giving the CEO a bonus."

I'm not bitter.

in Germany don't you have to give your employer 6 weeks notice or something? In the USA all you have to do is hand in a 2 week notice... same with the UK pretty much

>NEET here. the real deal is in teaching. NO amount of money can EVER compare to a yearly summer vacation

Teachers have a racket, but the glorified babysitting and standardized exam shit must suck.

I lean more toward getting into some tier of academia, even a CC. Must be tenure track though, as you are dogshit if you are not TT. I've seen profs at 4 year state schools with hardly any publications, shitty teaching, and still on TT...fucking comfy.

I'm convinced Abigail is who Zappa was talking about

3 years, glad they ended the contract and gave me more than the money they are obligated to gave me, because i was entering zombie mode in life and needed a change.

The "i dont want to be here for more than a year" is a big meme if you lack a clear goal. I have one now, and you better find one too.

god i want to suck on those big kike milkers

yeah the real deal is in the academia. 90% of your students enslaved themselves to the banks just to sit in your class so they mostly stay quiet. teaching elementary kids or even junior high must be a nightmare. high school can be decent if you teach STEM classes at a decent level. like even in a (((diverse))) public high schools, a physics class will be full of nerds that are easier to manage.