The great debate

Linux Mint or Manjaro?

Attached: rzz56453gg.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/04/08/linux-mint-sobering-update-developer-struggles-community/#607f55852c13
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3742
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

debian unstable

Mint for usability

Mint is more stable but I worry about it's future after;
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/04/08/linux-mint-sobering-update-developer-struggles-community/#607f55852c13

>boohoo they didn't like our new shitty logo I hate my life now :(( time to abandon ship
why is linux full of neurotics

Attached: 1546655626423.png (1000x1000, 439K)

Debian Stable

Fedora Rawhide

Regardless of the reason, its a bad sign when the core devs lose interest/passion in the project. Its a question of if someone else will fill their shoes and will they be as good. Apparently they barely make money from the project, all of it goes to hosting so the devs are basically doing it for free, which further makes it hard to find good replacements.

Manjaro

why?

Both are trash
>Mint
Ubuntu-based trash that removes the only thing Ubuntu might be useful for (snap).
>Manjaro
Arch-based, so it can only be bad. Additionally, the devs claim to not be dumb hobbyists while doing dumb hobbyist mistakes.
Ideally you want a distro that not only has significant corporate backing and actually employed people working on it, but also provides security features common in enterprise scenarios (MAC, compiler hardening flags, security updates). Additionally, updates shouldn't break your system. For this, a transactional, commit-based upgrade and rollback system could be of use. While you're at it, why not have the repository server calculate dependencies and pack the whole image for you directly? Fedora Silverblue provides all of that.

Rolling-release for people without autism.

I like Manjaro but haven't used Mint so there you go.

you mean like fedora?

wait.. i didnt read the last part lol

ubuntu

>you mean like fedora?
>Fedora Silverblue
Yeah mostly

Puppy linux

no debate
manjaro

*debates*

Manjaro is just arch without autism lol

>For a completely new user
Mint
>For myself
Manjaro

Sold. MVPOTD.

They're fine:
>Last month we talked about what it was like to develop free software and I shared some thoughts about the team, our work and our relationship with the community. I want to thank you all for your amazing response and the support you gave us. I don’t think we’ve ever received that many emails, comments and messages and that many encouragements. I didn’t expect it to be that big but here it is, it’s huge, right in front of us and we’ll always be able to look back at it whenever, if ever, we’re in doubt, you’re here for us, and you love our work. I’ve seen many people come here and post their very first comment after years of just reading the blog just to say they enjoyed what we were doing. That means a lot to me, I’m sure it means a lot to other users and developers too and all the people who contribute to Linux Mint. I wasn’t exactly looking for TLC when making this post last month, and we’re not “depressed” (as we could read in some blogs on the Internet), I wanted to address some points and spread the word a little more on what it was like for us as well… but I’m glad it was interpreted as it was, I’m glad the news was covered outside of our community and I’m really touched by your response to it. Thank you so much for this.
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3742

Thats good to see. Think they really didn't appreciate how bad they mad things look with that prior interview till after the fact.

Install Gentoo.

glad someone on this board isnt fucking retarded

Basically this.

Cannot be emphasized sufficiently

MX

Solus

I would go with Manjaro, for the following reasons:

1. The rolling release nature of it, as well as the presence of the AUR, makes obtaining software and keeping it up to date extraordinarily easy. This is especially good for new users, who are already going to find the method of obtaining software on Linux different from what they're used to. On, say, Mint, you end up with a patchwork of PPAs and external repos and .debs and snaps/flatpacks/appimages and other shit to get all of the software you want. People will bitch about the stability of rolling release distros (which I never really have any trouble with), but inevitably, when you do a major upgrade to a new version of Mint, everything is going to fucking break.

2. Mint dropped their KDE version, whereas Manjaro has a very up-to-date, rather polished KDE variant. Cinnamon isn't bad, but I'm not sure why you'd use it over KDE these days, which is significantly more featureful, less resource intensive, Qt-based, proper filepicker, etc.

yikes

there's another one?

wtf is manjaro?

why is there a new one every day?

*stable

they're both shit