RHEL 8 is officially out!

RHEL 8 is officially out!
redhat.com/en/enterprise-linux-8

Attached: redhat.png (600x200, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/8.0_release_notes/index
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS
wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo
youtu.be/voWBbUND3Fk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

waiting for centos release

*tips*

Attached: tip.jpg (800x800, 166K)

Why'd they change the logo? New one is shit, especially that font.

Also this , might try it out then.

Maybe we can finally think about taking iptables out back and shoot it now, since RHEL 7 was, if I recall correctly, the last major thing out there with a kernel old enough to not have nftables.

They did some research and got to the conclusion that old logo was too unappealing. That why they removed the shady man and made new logo look more modern. It's irrelevant tho, just pure marketing.

Kek, my workplace just migrated to 7

Their new tools sound like Wu-Tan Clan members...

Attached: wtf.png (1220x819, 381K)

whoa, didn't know sysadmins used game controllers! Red Hat is so cool!

Attached: img-created-for-innovators.png (577x482, 75K)

nobody use it

>Red Hat for innovators
I'm pretty sure that guy is just running top (not even htop)

Release notes:
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/8.0_release_notes/index

I wanted to install CentOS, I guess I'll have to wait.
When will it be available in CentOS?

He has a Thinkpad tho

Why is it using kernel 4.18? Wouldn't it be better with 4.19 that is LTS?

WTF there is a one-month lag between CentOS and RHEL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

How long could it possibly take to
sed -e 's/Red Hat/CentOS/g'

They have to recompile all the packages. It does seem their releases are longer than necessary. Arch used to be like that with Gnome. Like they wouldn't really start working on it until after the actual release. Eventually they changed to a beta gnome repository that was rebuilt right up until release so it became almost immediately available. It seems like Centos could take the same approach with the rhel beta releases.

a week or month i think

Hmm my understanding is that CentOS is more or less "infiltrated" with Red Hat people, who have no incentive in seeing CentOS steal their thunder.

My hope is one day they drop Centos and just make RHEL freely available without support. Most of their revenue has to be from the supported subscriptions anyway.

YES! YES! It was about time! I fucking HATED dealing with the ancient shitpackages on the last one and CentOS.

Installing PHP and a version of apache from this decade via the fucking EPEL-shit and making sure it stays enabled and usable between reboots is the greatest cancer I can think of.

You mean IBM Linux8 right?

I'm not sure if these are the absolute bleeding edge, but they have software collections with updated versions. These are from centos and not epel. PHP is on 7.2.
wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo

very careful sysadmin?

Oh, now I realize. Epel was actually the nice thing. The one that's basically just a repository of current software.
it was SCL that's fucking awkward to use, installing shit to /opt and requiring you to use and autostart bash scripts to rewrite the environment to use them that never work right.

Fuck SCLs.

This is why I like Microsoft. Dudes got their whole tech stack under their control instead of rolling yet another fucking Lunix distro and ripping tech. FOSS inherently leads to fragmentation. Just look up the fucking Red Hat code obfuscation shit so Oracle can't just copy paste their distro and in response Oracle actually started providing patch-log services so you can see what Redhat changed in the kernel lmfao. Sharing tech stalls competition because it puts all the competitors outta' business.

A long time. Direct from the Centos forum moderator.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-07 12-06-16.png (1160x208, 50K)

So basically Red Hat is (((Open source)))
They just throw a bunch of .tar.gz files without build scripts at you just to comply with the GPL

Black woman are the main target audience, apparently.
youtu.be/voWBbUND3Fk

If it ain't broke, is still supported with security updates, and there aren't any compelling features in the new version you need, why be in a rush for an upgrade?

They're just lazy fuckers

According to that ad the main thing people do with RHEL is run top in a terminal.

Can I become a Red Hat Certified Top User or something?

That too.

cleaning that debian piece of shit for centos 8 when they release

>Wayland is the default display server
>With Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, the GNOME session and the GNOME Display Manager (GDM) use Wayland as their default display server instead of the X.org server, which was used with the previous major version of RHEL.
So it begins.

how many container tools are there already?
docker+kubernetes, manual isolated chroots, kvm+qemu, flatpaks

It's about fucking time

since like fedora 29 it's fine, but a lot of external applications run better on xorg. for example mpv which red hat doesn't give a fuck

Sounds like need a new daemon and a XML configuration file to manage all those container management tools

I think we need a GPL 4 that includes build scripts.

Oh for Jesus Ferocious Christ, so our security team will ask us to upgrade again, and I bet there is no clean way to do so from RHEL7... FUCK@!

RHEL is a trainwreck and I don't understand why sysadmins love it so much. Sure, it's nice for a small while because you're not really getting any functionality upgrades whatsoever, but eventually, you have to upgrade, and then you have to do 10 years worth of config and interface updates for every single app which is so incredibly hurtful, you wish you just had a minor amount of pain upgrading every 2 years instead instead of an impossible task every 10 years.
Fuck this boomer mentality.

>every 10 years.
So, how many times are you gonna do this on your job? Are you retarded?

They'll be doing a lot of the work themselves because an RHEL release is supported longer than any official LTS kernel. They backport a fuckton of shit themselves, too, like the kernel in 7 isn't so much 3.10 as an odd hybrid of 3.10, the security patches that have come since then, and some additional shit from other kernels.

CentOS has been an official Red Hat thing for years actually.

That's essentially what they're doing. Red Hat carefully collected all the RH logos and branding and stuff into like two packages, expressly for the purpose of making CentOS's life easier.

Now Oracle, Oracle they go out of their way to fuck with. This is why they release all their modifications to the kernel as a big lump, instead of splitting out patches, to make Oracle's life harder with their mostly-RHEL-but-with-some-of-our-shit distro, while not interfering with anyone (eg, CentOS) that's just rebuilding the RH stuff.

>Just look up the fucking Red Hat code obfuscation shit so Oracle can't just copy paste their dist
yep, that's it. I can't really bring myself to be mad though because it's Oracle. Fuck Oracle.

Its more than minor pain even if you upgrade every two years. There's a fuckton of testing and qualification and shit you have to do because if some important application fails, well, it's your ass. If you'll have a ton of work no matter what then you may as well put it off. Good chance you won't be working there ten years from now anyway. This aside from the fact that management hates IT and views it as overhead, so they try very hard to give you just enough resources as is needed to keep running day-to-day, not any plan-for-years-from-now excess.

Classic boomer decision making
>Let me just install RHEL/CentOS. I won't have to do anything on my job in the next 10 years and by the time someone needs to do the impossible job of having to fucking migrate to the next version, I will either be promoted or working somewhere else, so I won't even have to deal with the long term problems I'm causing! BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

>Paying to use linux

libvirtd

why? it has nothing to do with security rhel 7 still has a long way to go

Don't worry user, one day you will understand.

If you actually watched the ad, you'd see he later uses it to control an industrial robot arm.

I understand you. I just think that's fucking scummy behavior. Your willingness to fuck up everyone who comes after you for a tiny bit of convenience will make you the most hated generation of all time.

>hurr durr it takes more time because you used it for 10 years
no it doesn't fucking retard, it takes as much as the initial setup
you can cleanly update 6 to 7 why would it be different with 8?
pajeet: the board

this, what the fuck is wrong with most people itt?

>hurr durr it's a pain in the ass better do it more often
?????????????????????????????????????????????

>you can cleanly update 6 to 7 why would it be different with 8?

"Sure you can, sure. But if something goes wrong, please do not call our support, as major version upgrades are possible, but not supported" - RedHat

Fuck you.

>Your willingness to fuck up everyone
You mean your ADHD dreams about fucking up everyone and everything every few years? Don't worry, one day you will understand what's your fucking goal and what's your fucking job.

>using pajeet distro maintained by literally who rajeesh
this is why fedora and red hat/ centos are the only distros worth installing

F

Attached: _.png (360x281, 50K)

who are you quoting and why are you replying to me?
I said, it has nothing to do with security. RHEL7 still is maintained for security.
I feel like you are some esl or retard who barely got the kode monkey job

Attached: redhat.jpg (418x847, 55K)

red hat has so many gaming propaganda
red pilled,
gamer gang rise up

Attached: girl-playing-video-game.jpg (740x507, 62K)

based red hat thinkpad propaganda

> and then you have to do 10 years worth of config and interface updates for every single app
Or just start it anew because it's ancient anyway. Imagine what ten years mean in IT.
BTW I manage some servers with CentOS 5.
> imagine

which is unsupported, do you live with those security bugs or manually patched what is facing the internet?

> what is facing the internet?
Nothing is facing the internet. Thankfully the old reverse proxy server broke before EOL.

CentOS should be out soon. They don't do Beta builds, they wait for RHEL proper to release.
Been waiting for CentOS 8 to stand up a new server.
Been too long!

Attached: shadowman-large.jpg (1034x963, 49K)

kek

not running production on sysadmin?

Note how they literally removed a white man from the logo, Jow Forums was right again.

>you can cleanly update 6 to 7 why would it be different with 8?
Sure, you just have to uninstall 70% of packages and 100% of your production applications...

>red hat

Attached: Official-Donald-trump-Make-America-Great-Again-Hat---Red---Crop_1000x[1].jpg (556x730, 31K)

scam hat yes!

>security mandate to use the latest version of all software & operating systems
>because unknown security flaws are better than known security flaws
>and it's not like anyone needs to support a legacy system owned & operated by an outside entity

I'm just waiting for Red Hat CoreOS (and Fedora CoreOS to match)!!! GIVE IT TO ME BABY

Updated for new logo

Attached: redhatv2.jpg (962x900, 93K)

THANK YOU, BASED RED HAT!

Old logo is cooler. Why they change it to this gay plain red hat shit?

nothing wrong with a new logo after 22-23 years

>its old therefore bad

nobody said that

It's because the guy in the old logo look shady as fuck

Fuck redhate, the cancer that killed desktop Linux.

A real sysadmin WOULD actually prefer to use top (as a quick glance at system resource usage) instead of the resource hogging htop that skews the results

I feel like it's partially that and also they don't want to make the LTS longer than what is supported by Linus because it piggybacks off their support or vice versa. But it would've been beneficial for Redhat to do so in my opinion. Have the kernel team do most of the kernel support and Redhat modifies that for their own needs until LTS support ends and then Redhat can continuing supporting this LTS provided you pay their support.

>implying

Attached: 1502818221136.png (441x334, 128K)

What did he mean by this?

Attached: 1553850789041.jpg (561x532, 23K)

Pajeets work on Windows, tho

The first CentOS 7 took months to be released. The Oracle Linux 8 Beta also only came out a week or two ago.

You pay por their support and some tools and it's actually one of the best available. Try using Oracle's, a fucking bitch.

They use unregistered version of SublimeText in their youtube video. But who buys this shit anyway?

By sponsoring the Fedora Project, Red Hat SAVED the Linux desktop.

learn to greentext retard
>because unknown security flaws are better than known security flaws
you know every maintained version of redhat has the the same security upgrades? literally that's one of the reasons you are paying for it. retard

you know it's like the biggest source of revenue to most open source developers, and has commited the most lines of codes to the kernel?