2020 - 1

>2020 - 1
>still using dark themes
See the light and evolve, user!

Attached: 1547420729833.png (1680x963, 390K)

> (+ 1985 34)
> still using EMACS

>solarized instead of gruvbox

Attached: 1538826712613.png (1920x1080, 1.82M)

>not using emacs

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f6b75616e7975692f6d6f652d7468656d652e656c2f6d6173746572 (1600x891, 340K)

based

i wish we could get rid of this theme bullshit and have 1 dark, 1 light and 1 hicontrast theme. that's it.

solarized dark is always shit.
solarized light is shit about 50% of the time regardless of what editor or monitor i use.
i don't even bother changing editor/ide themes anymore unless the default is really shit.

i'm tempted to use a theme that is just black, white, bold and italics so i can have a consistent experience for once. i'm also considering ditching monospaced fonts altogether.

>i'm also considering ditching monospaced fonts altogether.
literally what

programming in notepad!

Based.

easier to read and more compact. less chance to misread things if the font has different glyphs for 0oO and iIlL.

the disadvantage is most people don't use it; very few modern coding software supports it and most of those that do don't implement a proper visual alignment (e.g. elastic tabstops).

it's still popular with Wirth family of PLs, Smalltalk and others.

>easier to read
Subjective. Besides, you can more easily spot misaligned lines of code with a monospaced font (which is the primary advantage) and have more consistent alignment inside lines.
>more compact
Depends on the font. Iosevka, for example, is pretty fucking compact and is monospaced.
>less chance to misread things if the font has different glyphs for 0oO and iIlL.
Depends on the font. Many monospaced fonts also have clearly distinguishable characters.
It seems like your issues with monospaced fonts are with some particular fonts in particular and not with the general class of monospaced fonts. But hey, that's up to you after all.

>you can more easily spot misaligned lines of code with a monospaced font (which is the primary advantage) and have more consistent alignment inside lines.
from my own experience most alignment is stupid and only lead to pain (e.g aligning a bunch of variables so that the = match). it's no surprise that many linters and some communities advise against it like python's (i think rust's too).
also in a editor with proper proportional font support you can align things just fine since text is aligned visually and not on the file itself.

> Iosevka, for example, is pretty fucking compact and is monospaced.
losevka is a narrow/condensed font. it's compact but all the characters are squeezed and harder to read. narrow proportional fonts are not better nor worse than this.

>Many monospaced fonts also have clearly distinguishable characters.
i'd say most monospaced fonts have distinguishable characters. i can't say the same about most proportional fonts. distinguishable characters seem to be a feature in niche proportional fonts like those tailored for programming (Input, Hack, whatever is used in Acme editor).

>actually wanting to hurt your eyes by staring into a bright monitor
Why are people stupid?

>from my own experience most alignment is stupid and only lead to pain (e.g aligning a bunch of variables so that the = match). it's no surprise that many linters and some communities advise against it like python's (i think rust's too).
There certainly is some stupid, redundant alignment out there, but some of it just happens to be there regardless of style (example: same/similar variable name appearing in adjacent lines) and monospaced fonts make this easier to spot, especially in the case of thin characters such as "i". Not to mention parenthesis in Lisp languages. There are also things such as inline comments, which are more readable when aligned, and so on.
Having good proportional font support that can support all this alignment correctly would be ideal, but alas, it's still simply not widespread enough.
Considering that virtually every platform, even ancient terminals, have the basic ability to display text in a monospaced font, you can't go wrong with it.
I'm not saying proportional fonts are useless: prose is certainly easier to read with a proportional font, since what really matters is entire words, not individual characters, and so can be some small code snippets too.
But when it comes to _writing_, not reading, and you want to pay attention to every single character, monospaced fonts still have the edge for me, for the reasons I mentioned.

black on grey is kino, what is the best colorscheme for this?

Don't know about any existing popular themes with this configuration out of the box, but I used a modified Gruvbox light colorscheme for a while with the background changed to grey instead of cream. Don't remember which hex code exactly though, but it worked quite well.

If you use a lower contrast theme and regulate your backlight properly, they work well even in low light conditions.
But you really shouldn't use computers in a poorly lit environment anyway.

gut and kys yrself

imagine having so few monitors that a light theme wouldn't burn your eyes

Why does this guy have boobs???

Only manchildren use more than one monitor anyway.

After all who needs eyes

>regulate your backlight
Um, what?
>poorly lit environment
You kids just want to destroy your eyes, don't you? Holy fuck, turning any fucking light on is like stabbing my eyes with a fucking knife.

> (>1999)
> not using gruvbox
what you waiting for user?

cause he fat

yes
There's place for all light themes, I personally didn't like how gruvbox in any of my editors, doesn't make it bad

Attached: Screenshot_20190422_220601.png (1366x768, 144K)

What are the best light color schemes?

I like PaperColor.