Why does Jow Forums claim you need math to program? I know calculus, statistics, complex matrix and moar...

Why does Jow Forums claim you need math to program? I know calculus, statistics, complex matrix and moar, yet I cant program. Most bootcamp coders dont know math and yet they can.

Whats with the math meme?

Attached: 0XQKR4G.png (1366x768, 922K)

Calling functions from libraries and glueing interfaces together is not programming.

you need math to be a good coder but you won't automatically be a good coder if you know math.

sure it is

Oh please. how will DFT or gaussian process help me create software

What is then?

Attached: 1449356421180.png (514x429, 219K)

>What is then?
Writing fizzbuzz in C

Programming is essentially all math, which is the study of quantity.

that's like, 99% of any programming job

I don't know you're the math guy you should know all about finding applications for useless things

Is it really though? I mean you need to know how to count 1+1 but can you call that math? I have never seen anyone on Jow Forums talk about programming like it would be math but maybe thats just me

Attached: 1499705130178.jpg (1280x720, 132K)

bumb

Ill bite.

What do you suppose algorithms are?

Oh right its computation theory which is math. Enjoy your inefficient garbage if you dont learn computation theory.

What do you need to write graphics code? Oh right a strong grasp of matrix math.

What do you need to write anything of value from scratch or develop new useful things like video decoders, process schedulers, kernels, physics engines for games, simulations, etc?
Oh right a strong grasp of math.

Most of the people here forget programming is meant to write programs that do things, no just gay fizzbuzzes and stupid shit

Nothing you mentioned requires math, just the ability to implement an algorithm written by actual computer scientists and mathematicians.

If you know so much math you should know the difference between something being necessary and sufficient.

Yeah because implementing a algorithm dosent require understanding the algorithm thus the math.

> implementing a algorithm dosent require understanding the algorithm thus the math.
now you get it

New Game was such a retarded show. I mean yeah its a CGDCT series but come on.. Programmers? There's no way a woman could even come close to a job like that let alone a whole company.

Should have been about an all women fish gutting factory or maid service, something realistic.

Attached: B99C432F-3DDC-4990-90C9-9D224A7CBCC9.png (1278x720, 1.13M)

If you can english and write a recipe(instructions) for cooking. You can write instructions for a computer. There are plenty of English majors who get jobs as developers. Having a strong foundation in math should help you understand the theories youd want to implement in your solutions.

>its a CGDCT series
what's your point. it's as much of a show about programming as k-on is about making music.

every computer problem must and can be solved using boolean math. code monkeys fail to see it. you can also simplify those as you do for equations, optimizing your software.

Attached: sad_satori.png (436x378, 216K)

My goal is to eventually do all my programming this way.
Of course the libraries I'd be gluing together will be written by me.

Knowing math doesn't make you good at programming automatically, you have to learn programming to know programming. Knowing math can help you out with more complex stuff though. You fucking troglodyte.

I want a coder gf and I don't care if she has poor personal hygiene

Attached: 1556493036941.jpg (796x997, 256K)

Depends on what you're doing. Plain ol' CRUD bullshit doesn't need any fucking math beyond basic arithmetic.
If you're doing image processing, anything with 3D or audio, really, any kind of actual data processing, you do need math.

that being said, you can get away with a much more cursory knowledge of math than people like to imply, and I'm not just talking about being a script kiddie and piping together shit other people did to get results (I'll admit that there's nothing wrong with doing that, unless it's your only skill regarding programming)

I mean, it is but sure

So you're the one of the retards who doesn't understand the trade off algorithms.

You don't read enough autistic functional language threads.
>Bruh don't even talk to me about haskell unless you know homotopy type theory
They make me think I'm on /sci/

You do not need much math if you are just going to write some cookie cutter CRUD application, which is what 90% of programming jobs are.

A computer science degree aims to prepare you for the other 10%, which will require some understanding of algorithms, and possibly some secondary mathematics knowledge.

>tfw bad at math and programming

Division is essentially for-loops
Variables = Variables i guess

top lel

have you ever been outside your basement?

But it is? Everyone just writes JS nowadays. Do you need to know integrals? No. Do you need to know that the length of a curve from A to B in f(x) is defined as the integral (lower limit A, upper limit B) of the root of one plus the square root of the derivative of f(x)? No. Fuck off.

This
Try 99%

>how will DFT or gaussian process help me create software
JPEG compression is DFT + filtering
splitting sound sources is DFT
With DFT you can hide information inside an image or denoise an image or make your shitty monitor display videos with more than 3 fps.
Now go back to your notebooks if you're to dumb to understand just shove it up your ass i don't care

you need math so you won't get stuck implementing algorithms

Literally every part of computer science is married to math. Your problem is probably that you only think of Calc I when you think of math, and decide it's not relevant.

Discrete math, graph theory, linear algebra... these things literally describe every function of the computer from the transistor logic up to the filesystem. If you're not using math it's because someone a lot smarter than you made an abstraction so good that you don't need to think about it anymore. That doesn't mean it's not there.

I know it can do that. However its already DONE so its useless, probably even worse in terms of quality as well. So, I can use others solutions instead of creating my own shit. Basically my knowledge amounts to nothing as any illiterate can rip that shit off stack

It was rhetorical.

Attached: 1556821057281.png (640x480, 903K)

Ever heard of software maintenance and optimization/improvement?

Based and redpilled. Baseddevs don't want to accept the truth.

It depends on what you're doing, the other day I had rough method for calculating Levenshtein Distance worked out. Only to find out that someone already posted a pretty fast method that's better than mine on github.

No, not really. Why wouldnt you be able to copy for that too though? I mean if its cutting tech or something but Id guess most programming isnt

Attached: 1556826372756.jpg (1280x1024, 444K)

How common is that?

absolutely not

Attached: E5D4946B-C2DD-4D17-9CD7-C6C41C89C4B5.jpg (1024x576, 64K)

>windowsphoneposting
>drumpf
Go back

there's a difference between a programmer, a computer scientist and a computer engineer.

Programming doesn't need math and you can't get a decent job with it either.
Computer science is 70% math and can you get some good jobs.
Computer engineering, specially hardware, is 90% math and can get you awesome based chad jobs.

>you can't get a decent job with it either.
I don't believe it

>Programming doesn't need math and you can't get a decent job with it either.

Attached: 1449334273801.png (535x555, 275K)

>you need to know exactly how the engine works to be able to fix a car
Please stop reinventing the wheel, it just causes bugs

probably not too common

Coding some bullshit to pipe an Excel sheet into a database is useful but not really proper programming, in the Jow Forums idealized sense. Writing that database on the other hand probably took a shitload of set theory, category theory, and logic (as in the graduate level deductive layer). Coding a game is easy, but making a game engine requires tons of linear algebra for rendering and calculus for the physics engine. Making a programming language and/or compiler requires lots of category theory and related abstract algebraic topics to get right. You can make programs without knowing math, but anything you make could have been accomplished by programmers with solid mathematical backgrounds while the reverse is not at all true.
There are also countless problems where it's possible to solve them without knowing the math, but knowing the math lets you do it many times more efficiently and elegantly.

>I know calculus, statistics, complex matrix and moar, yet I cant program

You obviously don't even understand implication.

"You need math to program" implies you can't program if you don't know math, but it doesn't imply that you know how to program when you know math.

Could be useful knowledge when it comes to graphics and complex graphing.

You might need it if you're just a web dev or code monkey. It's important for computational-anything.

You don't need math to be a code monkey writing CRUD applications, but you do need math to be a good programmer

Why would you do anything more complex? Just webdev for 100k alex

Most CS grads probably don't even realize where the term "function" came from.

>>Drumpf
Go back

Mad drupflet?