Give me one (1) good reason to not convert my entire library of FLACs to 256k Opus with no perceivable quality loss

Give me one (1) good reason to not convert my entire library of FLACs to 256k Opus with no perceivable quality loss.

Attached: 1200px-Opus_logo2.svg.png (1200x682, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/opus/demo3.shtml
wiki.xiph.org/index.php?title=Opus_Recommended_Settings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because a couple years down the road when some other compression format is innovated you’ll be decompressing lossy data files and you WILL hear the difference unless you’re deaf.

We’ve been over this. Are you a bot?

If the differences between high bitrate opus and flac is transparent now, how exactly will a new codec achieve "more" transparency? It would sound the same but at a slightly lower bitrate.

Sometime in the future, ghost (or some other lossy codec) will release, with better performance than opus, but only from lossless.
From lossy, the performance will be horrendous, as it always is when transcoding lossy to lossy.
And it'll become the default for a lot of software/hardware. And when you try to use this software or hardware, your opus will be transcoded automatically and will sound horrible.
Learn from archivists and preserve your music collection properly. Say no to lossy archival.

Attached: 1536407303067.png (1920x1200, 1.86M)

eventually there will be something better than opus that you can transcode to.

It doesn't work like that, the quality loss is accumulative, even of transparent at first generation the quality decreases every transcode even if you use the exact same settings where eventually it stops being transparent.

even if*

Is 128kbps opus transparent?

>hard drives are so cheap now that they’re practically free
>worrying about how much space your shitty kpop albums consume
Hey it’s 1999 again!

also

>burn entire FLAC collection to bdr using 7zip split archives
>encode everything to opus for listening

that's what I plan on doing except probably AAC since I'm getting a mac

No one gives a fuck about OPUS or any retarded format like that.

Either buy more hard drive space and keep your FLACs in tact, or convert to MP3 like a non-autist for mobile portability playback.

I personally have a large FLAC collection, a lot of it 24/96, and I just load it on my iPhone X and play it back (256GB of space is more than enough). I just rotate my FLAC folder.

If you're a non-Apple fag, you have microSD card with 500GB of space, there's no excuse to convert shit nowadays.

Which you won't use for the same reason.

Try storing raw BDs and UHD BDs.
The amount of content you can seed is also proportionately lower.

500gb is absolutely nothing.
You need at least 10tb for a decent FLAC collection.

You're assuming that I plan on re-encoding somewhere down the line.
I would be going from lossless FLAC to Opus for what music I currently have, and for new music that comes out after a new codec comes out, i will encode to that format. The opus encodes would stay the same.
The only "downside" I can see to this is that newer encoders will achieve transparency at a lower bitrate, but since You can get transparent quality loss now at les than 1/4 the filesize of FLAC, I'm having trouble finding a reason not to.
I like to keep things lean, and it also makes syncing between devices significantly faster.

>No one gives a fuck about OPUS
>recommends mp3
The fuck are you on? Every device made in the last 5+ years can play opus just fine.

Pretty much everything supports Ogg Vorbis and it's a more efficient codec than MP3 on top of being FOSS, there's basically no reason not to use it if you have space constraints.

My collection is more than 10TB.

Do you really need all the albums on your mobile device? It's called curation and rotation you stupid ass.

Also who the fuck carries a high end headphone with them when they're mobile anyway? The most you're going to be using is some mid range IEMs and a shitty DAC.

1 - I don't own a mobile device
2 - you're an idiot
3 - I use mdr xb500s
4 - kill yourself

>The fuck are you on? Every device made in the last 5+ years can play opus just fine.

Breh I bet you there's no way you can tell the difference between 320 MP3 and a FLAC. Even with A/B testing.

I have Audeze LCD3s with Woo W7 tube amp, and that's the only time I can tell the difference.

With mid range on the go head phones its very difficult to tell the difference.

If you want to avoid MP3 (LE MUH OLD TECH) then use AAC or something more universal.

OGG Vorbis is a retarded format. No one uses that shit.

>Using subpar $100 headphones
>Putting his nose in an audiophile thread

kys you stinky poojeet

>>Using subpar $100 headphones
>>Putting his nose in an audiophile thread
>
>kys you stinky poojeet

This was for this moron

I wasted $150 on a pair of headphones and I cant even hear the difference between 128k and flac.

>Breh I bet you there's no way you can tell the difference between 320 MP3 and a FLAC
You're right, I personally can't. But opus is a much better codec at a lower bitrate, and if even the turbo autist audiophiles with $3000+ equipment can't tell the difference then I decide it's good neough for me as well.

again you're a clueless moron who keeps making assumptions out of his asshole.

I own like seven different pairs of headphones ranging from $600 to $50.
I have spent more time immersed in this than you have on computers or listening to music period.

>Try storing raw BDs and UHD BDs.
I don’t have Blu-Ray and don’t want it. I mainly watch Laserdiscs, but I have a few DVDs for the few kinos worth watching that came out after LD was discontinued. Nowhere Man, Brisco County, Jr. and LOTR plus a very few others.

Laserdiscs look way better than Blu-Rays.

Then why are you recommending mp3 over opus?

Not once in this thread have I recommended mp3s.
In fact I am very pro Opus and hope there is widespread adoption.
I tried it randomly months ago or last year and it was very impressive.

while we're at it lets talk about how awesome of a combo h.265 + opus is.
I wish this all existed back when I only had a 50gb hard drive.

128Kb is complete garbage and yeah you won't notice the difference between that and a FLAC on some shitty headphones like AirPods or Beats, but you will notice it on decent midrange headphones...it just sounds "crunchy".

There's better and more efficient codecs than AAC and MP3, but new codecs come and go and they promise to be the next best thing. MP3s are still here almost 30 years later. Why? Because it's simple to use and pretty much supported everywhere even though it's proprietary.

Sure, how am I clueless if you can fill me in oh great one?

Even with my $15k+ headphone/amp collection I don't even consider myself an audiophile, but I am an audio engineer and have a pretty good ear.

You can shove your $50-$600 headphones up your ass.

>I have spent more time immersed in this than you have on computers or listening to music period.

Keep making assumptions, you degenerate.

24/96 are 4-5GB/per album...I have, for example, multiple versions of all of the Beatles collections, including Vinyl rips and so on, so there's a ton of stuff I have that's duplicate, but totally worth having depending on how my mood is.

>Not once in this thread have I recommended mp3
The guy you're responding for did >Either buy more hard drive space and keep your FLACs in tact, or convert to MP3

>There's better and more efficient codecs than AAC and MP3, but new codecs come and go and they promise to be the next best thing. MP3s are still here almost 30 years later. Why? Because it's simple to use and pretty much supported everywhere even though it's proprietary.
What exactly are you arguing here? To use mp3 because it's old, even though there are much better codecs available now that can be played on virtually anything?

>while we're at it lets talk about how awesome of a combo h.265 + opus is.
Opus doesn't play well with subs in mkv.
There's a reason everyone uses AAC.

I don't know which user you are, but my argument is that I faced this same challenge years ago when OGG was the "hot thing". After doing a ton of research and A/B testing and talking to some really high end technical people, we came to the conclusion that a "dumb" format like MP3 was the best solution for "mobility" purposes as it is as transparent as it gets close to CD quality in a compressed/small format.

Hard drives are cheap, keep a NAS at home for your FLAC collection and use something more common like MP3 or AAC for mobile playback. That's all I'm saying.

OPUS is very good and I have done my own testing, but that thing will never become mainstream. It's going to be niche just like OGG.

Using your own anecdote, why exactly was OGG not viable? What modern device doesn't support OGG and exactly what benefit was there to choosing mp3 instead? Are you implying that mp3 is higher quality than ogg at the same bitrate?

Anything outside of AAC/MP3 requires either a special player or special app to work in.

AAC/MP3 are so standardized, they work with pretty much every device out there even on low powered ones.

AAC and OGG actually are pretty similar in quality with the same bitrate. AAC VBR at 400Kbps is actually almost lossless CD quality if you do A/B testing.

Back when I was looking at converting my large libraries to OGG, I had a few different players...but I also realized that hey maybe in a few years I won't have these devices and maybe future devices will not supported. But you know what will still be supported? MP3 and AAC.

>Are you implying that mp3 is higher quality than ogg at the same bitrate?

I did not say that at all.

But AAC is pretty much the same if not better than OGG at the same bitrate.

OGG always sounded wrong to me for some reason, and AAC sounded exactly like the original source that I fed the encoder (iTunes, XLD or whatever else you use).

there will be a new versions of opus

Attached: 373D1841-01CD-453E-AC6B-E3A7E7BD8EA1.png (1536x2048, 159K)

FYI the last MP3 patent expired a year ago, it is now effectively a free (as in freedom) codec. That being said I hope you keep your FLACs safe, you might never know when you need to reencode down the line. As for OPUS quality, apparently it is still near transparent at 96kbps, even met someone who encodes it to 64kbps for use in outdoor settings. 128kbps Opus seems on par with MP3 V0, though both are hard to test (almost all samples are transparent except for "problem" samples)

Literally no one is stopping you from transcoding for your dedicated device
On the other hand, you are a retard if you are tossing out your originals so you can never transcode properly again if a new meme standard comes out

Opus is transparent at 64 kb/s for me, i tried hard to distinguish it from the lossless source with ABX in foobar, but i failed
maybe my hearing isn't all that good after all

fuck all degenerates in this thread
>24/96 are 4-5GB/per album
no, they are 1-1.5gb at highest compression, maybe less for classical
>I have, for example, multiple versions of all of the Beatles collections, including Vinyl rips
peak autism, collecting shittier quality versions of already shit music
>500gb is absolutely nothing.
>You need at least 10tb for a decent FLAC collection.
>My collection is more than 10TB.
How about you start buying your music Tyrone and only buy what you really want? Stop downloading entire dicographies that you'll never listen to faggot. Shit, that's why physical media was better. 500gb means hundreds of albums, more than you'll need in your whole life. 10tb of music would cost more than 100000$ if you where to buy it.
>$15k+ headphone/amp
get a life retard, it's not something to be proud of. 15k equipment + garbage quantity over quality stolen music collection.

Attached: 2bg8a5.jpg (1024x576, 121K)

>>hard drives are so cheap now that they’re practically free
Except if you live in a turd world country.

I'm not even going to reply to this because you're a degenerate.

Most compression artifacts are hard to hear anyways. 128kbps MP3, if encoded using LAME and from a FLAC source will sound very decent (128k was the target for MP3 development in the 80s, alot of it was developed on STAX headphones) The reason why most stuff at 128kbps sounds like shit is because it usually went to a transcode chain, most infamous is probably Youtube to MP3 (128kbps AAC to 128kbps MP3) Opus at 64kbps is very decent, however there are some obvious differences with problem samples (e.g. harpsichords)

>he actually pirates media in current year
Get a job, sir. Or visit one of our many fine public libraries.

Forgot link to problem sample demo:
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/opus/demo3.shtml
Modern Opus at 64kbps would probably fare better at this, but even Opus 1.1 the difference went from obvious to subtle, thanks to bitrate allocation.

I'll keep my money and all my free content, thank you mr. paypig

Wow, expensive. Judging from the price, they must be really good.
And since you can afford them, you must know a lot about audio.

>to bdr using 7zip split archives

?????

There isn’t enough worth watching to bother pirating.

pretty much, yes

it's lossy

that's because you're old and deaf

but bow am i supposed to afford paying for my 666 exabytes dsd65536 music collection worth 1 quintillion $?

it's the opposite, tech is cheaper in poor countries

Because the spectrum analyser looks terrible

what command do i use to get the equivalent of lame -V0 with opus.

64kbps

Why yes, i do listen using different usb cables depending on my mood, how did you figure it out?
Opus doesn't play well with my magic pebbles.

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

why is there a need to set a bit-rate? lame vbr is good that it figures the bit-rate out auto so that when i encode narrow-band it doesn't bloat the encode

There isn't anything worth paying for.

Sure there was, the golden age of kino lasted all the way until a few years after 9/11 killed this nation’s soul. Something of the creative essence died on 911 and it’s gone forever now.

You can't hear the difference, and you're autistic if you think otherwise.

Pirating is literally easier than paying for shit
also free

I just use spotify, why would I need to locally save music lol

>high quality audio
>no data usage
>can be listened to without an internet connection
>cannot be removed by a third party due to licensing, artists exploding, etc
>many songs are not on spotify to begin with
>streaming is for fags

>implying american media was good

Attached: c0c.jpg (634x650, 45K)

>when 1.3GiB of DTS encodes to 180MiB of opus @ 256kbps w/ masking and LFE bandwidth optimizations

Attached: 1412243108410.jpg (3744x5616, 1.16M)

>256k
retard
>Opus
retard

>high quality audio
literally can't tell the difference between a flac version of a song and spotify's high quality.
>no data usage
I have unlimited data
>can be listened to without an internet connection
If I know I'll go to an area where there's no service I'll just save it for offline playback if it happens unexpectedly then I guess I'll just listen to the songs that were cached
>cannot be removed by a third party due to licensing, artists exploding, etc
>many songs are not on spotify to begin with
who cares, i'll just not listen to those songs then
>streaming is for fags
k

> no perceivable quality loss
I should have to lose frequencies above a certain threshold because I can't hear them? what a stupid dumb cunt. do you even know how lossy audio compression works, retard? just fucking kill yourself as soon as possible.

>>streaming is for fags
this user gets it. it's fucking cancer for idiots.

And guess how many of those drawbacks local storage has? Literally 0, you low IQ nigger.

I usually just start a song radio and it gives me songs I've never heard of before, can I do that with local storage?

Keep your rare or hard to find lossless stuff archived and opus is perfectly fine for listening in the go. That way you won't lose the original stuff and have a good compression ratio without too much loss. Do the compression yourself though, I have seen +200GB collections with opus at 64k, which is horrible and sinful.

256k opus makes sense for 5.1ch sources

There are plenty of places you can get recommendations based on your favorite songs/albums, yes.

384kbps AC3 and 640 EAC3 too.

yeah, i wouldn't touch opus made by some faggot out of god knows what
even though i encode opus at 64 kb/s because that bitrate is pretty much perfect for me
i still keep my flacs around, but when putting some music on my phone with the intention of listening to it outdoors, it is really very hard to notice any artifacts because the outside is always noisy and there's a lot happening around
which makes a different listening environment than your quiet house

you must hate the environment then, faget

You get those backwards, friend?

10tb? Absolutely laughable. How can you even get started with anything under 50tb?

>the golden age of kino lasted all the way until a few years after 9/11
holy cringe, fuck off kid

Is 335Kbps AAC LC better than 256Kbps Opus lads?

No. You need at least 500kbps to get some definition and musicality. Better use 1000kbps just to stay on the safe side.

sure? if your source is already pretty low bitrate
what if your source is 1.5Mbps DTS? or 5Mbps+ DTS-MA?
do you prefer to toss additional languages rather than transcode audio?

I converted everything to 128k VBR Opus
ye
truthsayer
>it just sounds "crunchy"
wrongsayer & buzzword believer

Opusenc is vbr by default, you set a target bitrate and it encodes to approximately that bitrate. 10kbps should get you narrowband, as described here:
wiki.xiph.org/index.php?title=Opus_Recommended_Settings

Just keep your archive of flacs and transcode everything with beets to a working directory. That way you can delete the transcoded files anytime you want and just reencode with zero effort

there's no going back

>thinks opus is not widely supported
>suggesting mp3 as a viable format in 2019
>96khz

Attached: _-eiQ6hYuWm4_00:06:47.641_01.png (615x477, 189K)

who's ghosto

They're right though

you're gonna regret it, trust me

N I G G E R

>Anything outside of AAC/MP3 requires either a special player or special app to work in.
You're retarded, you know that?

>500gb means hundreds of albums, more than you'll need in your whole life

Attached: 52f.jpg (622x568, 187K)

How? Basically everything supports Opus these days, and it's significantly more efficient than other codecs.

>Peace of mind that your music sounds its best
>Better software support
>Opus is not a mature format and you'll be converting your entire library to a version that will be quickly made obsolete
>With FLAC you're much better off if you need to convert your music to some other format later
>AAC in m4a container is a more sensible option than opus if you need lossy

Attached: 1398774460436.jpg (184x184, 6K)

>>AAC in m4a container is a more sensible option than opus if you need lossy
In what way?

Compatibility.

I don't own anything that won't play Opus audio. What do you have that doesn't support it?

triggered brainlet listening to low quality western shit