/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: stallmanpage-sunmidancing-1.4m.webm (1280x720, 2.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/
raymii.org/s/tutorials/Encrypt_and_decrypt_files_to_public_keys_via_the_OpenSSL_Command_Line.html
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man7/casper.7.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Linux of the Desktop Year

wtf are these OPposts? at least post some shota

>Linux isn't "marketed" because Linux communities are not commercial companies
Don't want to sound too harsh or nothing but the reality of the situation is that you are so wrong.

Take a look at who's actually behind the Linux Foundation, or more correctly: The Linux CORPORATION - because that's what it is,
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

As for actual GNU/Linux distributions: You're somewhat right about Debian. Yes, Debian is a community distribution. Fedora and RHEL are products from IBM. There is no "community" that matter around those, if IBM wants to go one direction then that's where those go. The same applies to Ubuntu, it's owned and controlled by Canonical. SUSE is also owned and controlled by a for-profit corporation.

These corporations are, in fact, doing various forms of marketing. That's what you do when you want to promote commercial products. Of course, it is advantageous to pretend that Ubuntu is a community effort like Debian and that is part of their marketing.

>As for actual GNU/Linux distributions
Actual GNU/Linux distributions IS GNU/Linux, end of story.
>Take a look at
Take a look at:
gnu.org
fsf.org
these are reliable community websites that reflect GNU/Linux community's interests.

>GNU
More like GNO games

Attached: 1529026663849.jpg (1379x1410, 978K)

Excuse me my fellow /fglt/ anons, but let me repeat:
*cough cough*
INSTALL GUIXSD

Attached: Guix.jpg (900x820, 90K)

how do I replicate this? what distro? how to achieve the ui and dpi scaling?

Attached: YjAOZ4l.jpg (3200x1800, 624K)

DO IT

Attached: installguixsd1524902247500.jpg (1000x1000, 1.12M)

replace what?

are you on drugs?
GNU/Linux is better for gaming than windows
>Valve Proton + Steam
>GOG
>WINE
>DXVK
obviously GNU/Linux is superior
Windows BTFO

>replicate
copy it basically. particularly the UI/scaling

is there any good simple, minimal file encryption other than gpg?

You can symmetrically encrypt files with "openssl enc" or mcrypt.
If you want to emulate GPG's public key crypto using OpenSSL, you can encrypt files using random data as a keyfile and encrypt the keyfile using a RSA or elliptic curve public key in a second step.
raymii.org/s/tutorials/Encrypt_and_decrypt_files_to_public_keys_via_the_OpenSSL_Command_Line.html

>t. ftm
make me faget

Attached: 1556954689774.jpg (750x1153, 544K)

go to your kpop containment thread on /mu/

i shall not

Attached: 1556899564077.jpg (645x412, 59K)

*tips Fedora*
sure showed them

Any distro with a similar screen and the software that is listed there. You will need to config colors and stuff, ask on the desktop thread.

Ok, so i used UUI(rufus just refuses to work) to install linux on a usb of mine with persistence.
Can you guys tell me if the files are how they should be?
I dont want to boot that shit and brick my pc

Attached: Screenshot_5.png (813x372, 32K)

What’s the advantage of using Guix compared to other distros?

You can’t brick you pc just by booting a gnu linux media.
It seems like you just wrote the live image to a pen drive.

A FUCKING VAGINA
Not surprised that another freetard dump is not only infested with trannies but there's shitloads of activism and leftism in the whole project.

>It seems like you just wrote the live image to a pen drive.
But will this boot?
Sorry i am a complete newcomer to linux

Guix users explain its advantages:
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

Did you take your schizo pills today, user?

Ok, so i managed to make a live USB with rufus, how do i make it persistent?

Why doesn't KDE + dolphin automatically refresh the desktop when I download stuff there or move a file somewhere else? It's really annoying

>Steam
It's not free software, but it's fun. Seems like Valve is updating CS:GO a lot, just launched a new Fortnite-like game-mode. It's free to play btw.

Can't say I'm really into gaming but I like how there's free games like this now.

Attached: buythebombandhelmet.jpg (3840x2160, 1.55M)

Now THAT is what I call cringe.

Does Guix work in Termux, yet?

Reminder that GNU/Linux isn't Unix-like, and that's a good thing.

Attached: 1528295402739.jpg (800x600, 151K)

So uh... can I have sex with it?

I am trying to change the partitions of my live usb in a virtual machine because windows doesnt have gparted but every time i do it, it "corrupts" the usb, which means it can only be opened on the vm and on the host(windows) it asks to be formated
how fix it?

I don't have the time to learn about gnu/linux before installing. Please tell me a good distro for game compatibility and security/privacy.

>makes a fresh manjaro install
>turns it on this morning
>failed to execute init error -13
t-thanks arch

That's not how it works. Either you spend time learning your system and earn the skills to use any distro you want with you own adjusted privacy and freedom, or you need to eat the Ubuntu dick.
But there's good news. Go balls deep and you'll learn fast, just like when you first used Windows.

Ok so i am running ubuntu from usb.
But before this shit booted i got some unresolved references erros, should i be worried?
Also, is there anyway to install it in the usb to make it persistent?
my usb is 16 gb so i have space

reminder that actually it is, but good thing is, there are projects like NixOS and its disciples that depart from being Unix-like altogether.

I want to have rescure, worst case always usable and secure GNU/Linux system for my USB stick, which provides the following things:
- it does not save anything on the USB, no files, no configs, no nothing: everytime i boot it, it should be the same
- it does not save anything at the system i plug the USB into, no files, no configs, no nothing

Where to start?

>systemd

Between openSUSE and Arch, which is a better rolling release distro? Specifically for stability, customizability, support, and resources

they both can break

And?

it's a goat's head you dip

To give you the ol "it depends", here's who's better at what:
>stability
Tumbleweed
>customizability
Arch
>support
Tumbleweed
>ressources
Arch

>stability
>Tumbleweed
dubious

But isn't it supposed to avoid unplugging the charger? when it reaches 90% it should discharge to 40% to charge it again when gets below the start charge.

So there are plenty of 'gallery' apps on android, programs that trawls the entire disk/user's space for images and displays them per folder etc.
Does such a thing exist on linux and has good touchscreen support? I want to repurpose an old ultrabook with a real nice screen into a glorified photo album.

Attached: 1557279869434.jpg (707x1000, 69K)

That's silly. Why should you introduce additional wear and charge cycles if you can just keep running on mains at maximum performance? Li-Po batteries have no memory effect.

Debian and Devuan, depending on you stance on systemd is the ultimative distro to settle at as senior
Before that settlement Arch is the best distro, because you're still im fresh love and overwhelmed with GNU/Linux, want the best and newest things and actuality love to fix a bug here and there
Gentoo is for for you when you want a finer tuned system than Arch, but still a stable system like Debian and you don't mind compile times.
For me, there is no reason to use other distros than these three, when you passed the learning curve.
I like to see the Guix System rise tho, it could combine all the three. Change my mind.

You may actually mean the GNU system.

I like Parabola, since its 99.99% Arch but without nonfree stuff ootb and so you can install only the nonfree stuff your hardware needs manually. Also it's one if the few FSF endorsed distro that are actually good. Over the thumb, it's like Arch, with three Debian ootb freedom added.

Retard here, what means ootb

Out Of The Box

I'm planning to abandon windows after pretty much 20 years, I want to have the same sort of encryption as I had with veracrypt (full disk). When installing manjaro with calamares, checking the box encrypt everything with luks gives be the same stuff? I know there is marjaro architect but I'll be honest I know nothing about how to partition the ssd the best way and what to type at the encryption step

Thanks

That's the point of it actually, so you don't have your battery on a permanent 100% to 99% and repeat charging cycle wearing it faster, I could remove the battery and be done with it, but I need it to act as an UPS when working (shithole country with almost daily blackouts). I just want to know why isn't detecting my start_threshold, I've read ThinkWiki and some x220 can't use that function, but my model seems to not be that popular since it is not listed there.

I don't have anything that would need encryption, but I want to write a dairy because why not. Should I use a text file? How would I protect it? Or is there a program for this?

If you're going to use a simple plaintext file, just use GnuPG. Simple things are cool. The only thing to watch out for when working with plaintext files is things the editor may do, like writing temp files, backups, etc.

Any tiling wm around that supports this? i3 is bullshit with focus; split v; layout tabbed and go fuck yourself and stare at steam app everytime you launch it. Even with i3-focus-last this won't work because steam makes 10 dialog windows while starting.

Attached: image.png (1920x1080, 173K)

install gentoo

This has probably been asked a lot, but why is systemdicks so deprecated? And why should I consider Devuan instead of Debian?

Is there a way to create a virtual window that i can then open mpv and it scales the images to fit within this virtual window? So say i open 4 video files it dynamically takes the sizes and puts them together in real time.
Similar to a tiling wm but only for mpv

Use a nested X server like xpra or xephyr with a fixed resolution, launch a TWM in that, then mpv.

Well I'm actually convinced. I only have one PC atm but as soon as I buy a second one I'll try it out.

Wont performance take a massive hit due to emulation?
TWM's are excessive cancer and why i dont use them. I dont want to have to deal with its bullshit just to do something simple

Which distribution of Linux, is the best for Laptop with only 2GB of RAM and only 1.00 GHz?

Hinest amswer. Systemd does open a door that is difficult to close; developers start to take systemd as standard and programs will depend on it. This can decrease choices you can make regarding your init system as pointed out in Devuan's "init freedom". That being said, that's the whole issue - there are no nsa backdoors and no hiding jews; systemd is GPL'd, so it's free as in freedom. The things that makes people angry are a) that users feel forced to use systemd, because many distro maintainers adopted it and b) the development and issue trackers feel like a 2007 style /b/ thread full of memes, trolls and butthurt acting developers.
tl;Dr systemd is controversial - you nay like the approach or dislike it, but it's the memes and tech illiteracy that turned a controversial thing into literally Hitler. The thing that males me personally sad is how, actually angry, people can get - to a point where the developers of systemd get death threats, crowd fundings to hire hitmen and all that stuff, ... that people can get *this* angry about a piece of free software, a piece they don't like.

I recommended to make your own mind about the topic and think twice and triple if you really want to take a side - or do it like me keep searching sanity.

Eh just use RPM-OSTree

it's pretty easy to create something like this thanks to mpv having --wid, I made a python script long ago that acted like a container for mpv but I don't have it anymore. I guess look for a canvas program that accepts VO.

fun thing, you can have mpv as your wallpaper if you run mpv --wid 0.

>The thing that males me personally sad is how, actually angry, people can get - to a point where the developers of systemd get death threats, crowd fundings to hire hitmen and all that stuff, ... that people can get *this* angry about a piece of free software, a piece they don't like.
Shit, and here I thought that people didn't act IRL the same way that they do here
I mean, yeah, you might not like the fact that a systemdick was just shoved down your throat a while ago without any warning, but why do they devote so much of their time into literally killing the devs? Why waste money and time just because you don't like a piece of software that is free in both price and freedom?
Hopefully someday they will abandon their retardedness and go back to using things because they werk™

Your opinion has been noted.

You have to actually install it on the pen drive. As in boot a cd and go through the installation process but select the pen drive as target.

good webm

Are you sure you are formatting it to fat32 or ntfs and not ext4 or xfs?

install gentoo

Just download any live image and burn it to a pen drive.

luks gives the same security as veracrypt, yes.

You sure that they are real people and not corporate/gov shills that want control?
They use fear tactics and try to kill it so that they can make money when it doesnt exist. Or useful idiots that think they are right.

GNU/Linux*
Anything with Xfce or LXDE.

good post

That's not true. The casper live boot system of Debian and Ubuntu-based live mediums allows persistence using a "live-rw" loop file or partition on the USB stick.
Read up on the "persistent" boot parameter in the casper man page.
manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man7/casper.7.html

I knew there was something like this but didn't want to bother searching before posting.

Soooo.....
How?

Your point?

use a tiling script just for mpv

Which is?

idk just search for one

First 2 pages all want me to install 50gb of kde dependencies

Hello, /fglt/. It's another retard trying to install Arch.
The question is:
How do I create more than 4 primary partitions? fdisk won't let me do that.

does anyone know of a xfce4 plugin that displays output from a shell script? i remember seeing something like that but i can't find it again.

You can't on dos tables, you need to delete the partition table and create a gpt.

You don't need 4 primaries though, you can install OSes on logical partitions as long as the boot loader is on a primary.

Eh it just won't suffice

>you need to delete the partition table and create a gpt
Oh. That's definitely not what I need.
The thing is, I want to install Arch alongside Windows. And Windows already has it's boot and primary partitions.
I suppose, for Linux, I need at least a primary partition, a boot partition and a swap partition. That's not counting things like separate /home partition.
What i've missed?

create an extended partition

>you can install OSes on logical partitions as long as the boot loader is on a primary.
Just read it again and got it. So I can create just one primary /boot partition and as many extended partitions as I need?

new distro, having trouble with Noveau drivers. Will installing proprietary drivers clear this up?

Attached: noveau drivers failing.png (788x795, 91K)

Can't install Windows 7 on new hardware.
Does that mean I have to install gentoo now?

Yes