Kotlin

android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/05/google-io-2019-empowering-developers-to-build-experiences-on-Android-Play.html
> Today we’re announcing another big step: Android development will become increasingly Kotlin-first.
> If you’re starting a new project, you should write it in Kotlin
Kotlin now is the official language of the most popular platform in the world, after the web, why no one is talking about it?
Is the language really that good or is Google just want to get rid of Java?
What's wrong with Scala, Groovy, Ceylon?
Why don't they bring Go to Android?
Why don't recent Java versions just copy Kotlin's features?
Do you really trust Russians to write your programming language?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-08 kotlin - Поиск в Google.png (770x270, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Kotlin/KEEP/pull/87
kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/coroutines/basics.html#your-first-coroutine
kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/coroutines/basics.html#coroutines-are-light-weight
kotlin.github.io/kotlinx.coroutines/kotlinx-coroutines-core/kotlinx.coroutines/-dispatchers/-default.html
github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nothing is worse than java

Attached: 1 l43D4aghnL7hFSSZPYKedQ.jpg (618x575, 58K)

But I thought Dart/Flutter is the future.

Do people actually prefer implied functionality and a ton of shortcut symbols over long, yet straightforward code?

If you're already using a high-level programming language, you might as well enjoy it.

Attached: 1 NQ1f28kf1wcUrSxZgvjtRQ.png (1600x1326, 198K)

Kotlin : Android :: Dart : Fucksya.

>getLastName()
>setLastName()
pajeets still doing this?

Based Kotlin. The best language there is.

It will be funny when Kotlin gets built-in typeclasses, jumping straight ahead of Scala.
github.com/Kotlin/KEEP/pull/87

Judging by , they are and they are upset the status quo is changing. Well, they can always migrate to Go for more boilerplate.

>Kotlin is designed to interoperate fully with Java, and the JVM version of its standard library depends on the Java Class Library. Kotlin mainly targets the JVM, but also compiles to JavaScript or native code (via LLVM).
>also compiles to JavaScript
google was a fucking mistake

Attached: 1538593866931.jpg (454x453, 26K)

That's excellent.

>fun
teehee

Kotlin makes a lot of sense on servers as well, so Google should just buy JetBrains, retire Pike and deprecate Go.

What's wrong with that?

>so Google should just buy JetBrains
You know, this might actually happen now. They'll buy JetBrains, make all the products free, then gradually neglect them and phase them out.

Apparently Kotlin supports coroutines as well: kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/coroutines/basics.html#your-first-coroutine .

>apparently
They have been supported for more than a year now. They had experimental status but they worked. And now they are released officially.

Those aren't a substitute for Go's N:M threads, are they?

>kotlin native never finished
why bother

Use Nim, Crystal, D or Swift (haha) if you want something like Kotlin but native.

Why not? They look like they are: kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/coroutines/basics.html#coroutines-are-light-weight

I'm pretty sure they are 1:M.

js kiddies will lose job

>nim
meme language with no document
>d
meme language with no document
>swift
standard lib doesn't exist outside ishit
>crystal
will never have windows support

why bother

It's in beta right now. You can already use (but you need a paid IDE).

>meme language with no document
What "document" do you think is missing in D? It's actually fairly well documented. Not going to argue about Nim.
>standard lib doesn't exist outside ishit
Not going to argue with this, either.
>will never have windows support
Probably wrong. If they ever finish Crystal 1.0, it will have Windows support. But even if they somehow give up on native Windows, it is no longer a big deal. You know where the wind is blowing. Windows 10 will soon come with the Linux kernel for 99.99% compatibility.

Looks like it's N:M by default: kotlin.github.io/kotlinx.coroutines/kotlinx-coroutines-core/kotlinx.coroutines/-dispatchers/-default.html
> It is backed by a shared pool of threads on JVM. By default, the maximal number of threads used by this dispatcher is equal to the number CPU cores, but is at least two.

Attached: hn.png (969x197, 13K)

If you care about performance enough to compile to native, use Rust.

You are right. That's actually cool. There are fewer and fewer reasons to use Go besides the structs and the static binaries.

Took 31 post.

>What "document" do you think is missing in D? It's actually fairly well documented. Not going to argue about Nim.
it was really bad when last I checked it few years ago. Other languages got this "getting started" tutorial, D throwed on my face the language fucking spec.

>If they ever finish Crystal 1.0, it will have Windows support.
The only one who do anything windows related has been inactive for months. Shit will never be finished.
WSL is not enable by default, so it's not ideal for binary distribution

>the language fucking spec
kinky

sorry, too straight for that tranny shit.

t.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-08 CppCon в Твиттере «Join us in Copper Mountain Theater at lunch today (640x647, 528K)

>straight
faggot

Rust and C++ really do suffer from the lack of garbage collection.

more like I care about portability. Go did it right, but it is a pain to use.

>pajeets
So now anyone using oop is pajeet?
Or is it encapsulation that you have issue with?

except Javascript

Hehe. I would upwote this if I could.

Attached: 1555197731305.png (1000x1000, 168K)

Writing getters and setters by hand is pajeet, all the other languages have properties.

>by hand
too lazy to click hotkey to generate it?
>properties
Poor mans setters/getters

We're hitting pajeetism levels that shouldn't even be possible.

Based and DURGAsoft-pilled

I think it's a bad trend.

Oh fuck off C# pajeet.
your properties has no advantage besides 'less typing'.

*blocks your path*

Attached: B085B68F-10D3-4149-854C-26C2F28F32A6.jpg (294x385, 52K)

"Less typing" is an advantage by itself, but it also means "cleaner code" and "fewer chances to make an error". In the end, all the languages are Turing-complete so the only advantage they have over Brainfuck is "less typing".

If you can generate them automatically by clicking a button/hotkey why are they needed at all? It forces you to use a bloated IDE because the language require a country mile of boilerplate to do anything.

>Is the language really that good or is Google just want to get rid of Java?
it's java wiht less boilerplate retardness
>What's wrong with Scala, Groovy, Ceylon?
nothing.
kotlin is made by jetbrain which also make intellij and android studio is based on intellij so kotlin support was top-tier day one.
>Why don't they bring Go to Android?
android used java and the jvm before it was cool and google spent millions to build dalvik and art, it would be a mistake to start over after more than 10 years.
>Why don't recent Java versions just copy Kotlin's features?
Because the java board is more on the conservative side and changing syntax or things like this is a no-go.
>Do you really trust Russians to write your programming language?
yes

Google future is probably around flutter and dart as it's a first-class citizen for fuschia and even if fuschia get scrapped, flutter+dart work great on android and ios.

>less typing
is not advantage in this case.
basic setters/getters are generated by ide. Do you even software dev? Anything with validation or extra logic needs code anyway.

To have clear controll of it. Enforce encapsulation.
>bloated ide
So all ides are bloated? Get a job kid

Are we being visited by the Icon of Java himself?

Attached: nagoorcorejava.gif (849x458, 153K)

>dalvik and art
abominations

maybe but you don't rebuild a entire ecosystem in no time because there is a better alternative, it would be a massive business failure from google.

>controll
>angry Indian rant on why java is the ultimate weapon

How’s the weather in Bangalore kind sir?

What's the deal with Scala?
I remember it being the cool new thing 10 years ago, but I rarely hear about it now.

>To have clear controll of it.
>just generate them with your IDE lol

Is it even 100% interoperable with Java? IIRC it's not.

Kotlin is becoming my favorite language ever. I only wish it supported static members on interfaces

Scala is/was a scientific proof of concept that you can build a language on top of jvm created in academia. Kotlin is/was built for devs by devs.

NUUUU

Attached: 6FB7D12C2B294AD68C9FBBFE564EDD79.jpg (750x546, 147K)

this is peak pajeet

Attached: 1557309380528.png (383x681, 458K)

How the fuck is 1100 people per classroom is a selling point?

you just can't understand

Attached: 1554122276649.jpg (1920x1080, 299K)

OOP people love useless getter/setter, boilerplate and other waste of time it's crazy

I bet they are the ones who measure their productivity in lines written.

>(but you need a paid IDE).
You can compile native without paid IDE.
github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native

>So now anyone using oop is pajeet?
getters/setters are anti-oop, because it implies that data would be manipulated somewhere like a struct in a procedural way.
If you need to do something with object data, you should encapsulated that behaviour in object, not expose object's data.

So it's confirmed then, if I want to start making android apps now I should learn kotlin
RIP flutter/dart

fuck Oracle
fuck Java
fuck India

>RIP flutter/dart
are you literally retarded?

> Dart
I thought it's dead, TypeScript killed it, did it not?

It's strong and alive in flutter, it's pretty outdated tho... no optional support sucks ass.

see

Flutter is amazing, Xamarin can't even compete.
Why don't they just add Kotlin support to it? It's just a framework after all.

Dart is on life support because of Typescript. Even fucking Angular defaults to Typescript over Dart.
Google doesn't want to put in the effort required, so Dart is pretty much just like Flutter-fags fleshlight at this point.

The Army that will steal your job.

>Flutter is amazing
Sure, if you're brain dead. Even web dev fags are mocking how idiotic Flutter is, and they eat up new frameworks all the fucking time.

Google had just announced yesterday a framework for Kotlin which looks exactly like Flutter. It's called jetpack compose.

What are they mocking about Flutter? What do they find idiotic?

>It's called jetpack compose.
At first I read that as "jetpack compromise", lol.

Data binding.

Attached: Google-Adopted-Kotlin-Android.jpg (850x350, 93K)

Rude image.