What excuse will you guys make up now for using Linux in 2019?

What excuse will you guys make up now for using Linux in 2019?

Attached: 20190508_164808.png (720x1049, 112K)

I don’t like being spied on.

Considering that MS wants Windows to be more like Linux, why are you still using Windows? What's your excuse?

Everyone already knows all the exact answers to this thread but it will get 200+ replies anyway because abrasive low quality posts are one hell of a drug for this board

Attached: 1513535684057.jpg (571x578, 101K)

Linux doesn't have adobe premiere.

MS is incorporating linux, not the other way around. Nice cope schizo

My hardware works like I expect it to under Windows

nice meme, what about softwares you actually use?

What does Windows have to offer besides spying and proprietary shitware? I'm fine with GNU GuixSD/Emacs.

I work editing wedding videos so I absolutely need it, I'd love to switch to Linux but I'm not just some vapid "OS hobbyist" and have actual requirements.

EXTEND

Fuck off to your containment board

Shotcut

anime website faggot

I'm not an expert on GPL, but doesn't it say if you use any GPL components that the entire thing must be GPL?
Doesn't that mean that Windows would need to be GPL'd?

Attached: 1514573520161.jpg (716x716, 170K)

[spoiler]anime website[spoiler]
You are the one, who needs to fuck off

Attached: 1556806694460.gif (536x354, 2.97M)

Using something other than Premiere is out of the question since coworkers need to use the same project files, I could try convincing everyone to free themselves from the proprietary shackles but the truth is that there's no actual video editing software on Linux that can rival the pro windows stuff yet, Adobe porting their stuff would be a huge boon for Linux even if it's non-free NSA shit.

because using Linux prevents my computer from being infected by stupid trojan and ransomeware

>fucking up spoilers
>trying to use spoilers on Jow Forums to begin with
fuck off braindead /a/ tourist

run virtualbox on GNU/Linux with dual GPUs, one configured to pass through to the VM. no excuse vro

Does anyone else find this hilarious? Just how frustrating and degrading it must be for to be like "Oh I love you linux pls don't leave me". Like some old shriveled up wife that still stays with her husband that beats her because it's preferable to being alone and forgotten.

Microshit tired so hard to lock people on their ecosystem just like other tech companies like Google and Amazon. Pretty much everything outside of desktop windows they failed to lock people in. The Windows phone failed, outlook and hotmail can't compete with gmail, same with Bing and Google. Edge/IE is now literally a chrome fork. They recently closed their ebook store and pretty much failed as a publisher in every other market despite their attempts to shoehorn the windows store in their OS. The Xbox is nice but they still have to compete with Sony and Nintendo.

The server market is dominated by Linux. They even renamed "Windows Azure" to "Microsoft Azure" and started offering Linux services. And Azure is only third to Google and Amazon. Java still has more job openings than C# and they even had to make an open source version .Net Core. They had to bring the Linux subsystem to Windows in order to appeal to devs but it isn't really working either.

Valve is lighting a fire under their ass too by developing on Wine to bring more games to Linux. And then Google Stadia came which also runs Linux.

This shit is so embarrassing for Microsoft. They are scared. Very scared. There is literally no reason to still use their deprecated platform that's more and more looking like some kind of Frankenstein monster. And I say this as someone who is employed as a C# developer.

>tfw they finally give up
>Fluent DE for Linux with DirectX14

>Linux -- now with botnet!
yeah nothx

>attempting spoiler on this board
kys redditor scum

that's AGPL
Windows communicating with Linux VM is okay under GPLv2

It's quite clear they're getting absolutely desperate.

nigga the pros use Blender. Only retards use fisher-price tier editors like premiere or vegas.

bad b8

Don't worry, Tim will save based Windows.

Attached: 1557101503828.png (623x454, 114K)

Attached: 1540845245885.jpg (919x960, 84K)

Clickbait headline.
It will ship with the Linux kernel, which contains blobs. They should use GNU Linux-libre instead, which is fully freedom respecting.
Also, don't say "open source".

Dont wanna kill off competition
Haven't you learn anything from google?
people are dumb

Is it really desperation or just adjusting to the marketplace?

Epic is mistaking themselves. Sure Valve is the biggest competitor to them but Microsoft is also a competitor. Do they really want to continue to be their bitch? It a real dumb move for a publisher to get themselves locked into someone else's platform.

> Waste money on hardware and waste your time setting up a niche config just so you can flex on Jow Forums
The absolute state of Linux fanboys

clickbait thread.
he's been posting it every day.

>using the server argument
The absolute state of Linux niggers education.

Every single shill suddenly is a professional video editor, it's amazing.

>They are scared. Very scared.
They might eventually end up scaling back (like IBM), but they will still have a firm grip on enterprise markets for years to come (like IBM) so while they're in danger of losing growth, they're nowhere close to dying just yet, especially when most of their competition has failed to provide an equally reliable office "stack" with Office and Skype (Google tried but ended up failing because they kept deprecating applications two years after unveiling them)

As an aside, to my knowledge Valve is slowing down their Linux efforts after Steam Machines failed to take off. However, given the recent leak about Epic cutting off Linux support for the titles they own, Valve might double down on Linux support again to have a slight edge on the competition. No one really cared for the Stadia, and we all know by now that Google is making their own kernel that will be independent of Linux which all of their future things including Stadia will run on (assuming Stadia will actually get support for long enough for this to happen), pretty soon you can expect to deal with four competing desktop operating systems instead of the three we have now.

Because I'd have to use Windows.

Running it in a virtual machine doesn't violate the GPL.

Any kind of software suddenly is a luxury, it's amazing.

Attached: loonix cope.jpg (510x394, 28K)

I know it's hard to believe but people use computers for more than programming hello worlds, professional media programs have always been Linux's weak point, Bitwig filled the music niche but there still aren't good video and photo editing programs which believe it or not is a huge market with many users and pretending it doesn't exist won't do anyone any favors. Linux will eventually have good options for these niches but phreaks like you who think it doesn't need them are just plain stupid and counter-productive, you are very out of touch with reality.

It's free. What's the point of using Windows if Linux provides the launch of same programs?

>Valve is slowing down their Linux efforts after Steam Machines failed to take off.
What year are you living in? Look up Proton

>but they will still have a firm grip on enterprise markets for years to come (like IBM) so while they're in danger of losing growth, they're nowhere close to dying just yet, especially when most of their competition has failed to provide an equally reliable office "stack" with Office and Skype (Google tried but ended up failing because they kept deprecating applications two years after unveiling them)
This
Microsoft isn't going anywhere and there is no reason for them to be scared because as far as I'm concerned their bread and butter which is Windows volume licencing and Office is doing just fine
Just recently it was disclosed that Windows revenue was way up compared to the boarder PC market

>MY niche is being satisfied with this OS so I'm happy with it but if your niche isn't then you are a retard cuck windrone!!!!
What's up with OS evangelists and their lack of simple critical thinking?

What excuse will you make up for not running windows in a qemu with vga passthrough, in 2019?
You have everything windows has to offer minus the spionage

It's not even anime.
Jow Forums is /a/ territory any way, fuck off.

Attached: 5489114eeb493f44aa69cc956d69fa6cf588815c7b6f56d6c675e77e68127b30.jpg (483x589, 78K)

A lot of over complication just for muh freedoms

You know it doesn't work when it's open and GPLed?

Attached: 1557335815352.png (640x478, 195K)

Honestly the two main things they still have to prevent Linux desktop becoming a bigger thing is the software you can only get with Windows and the fact that Windows is a lot more easy to use for non tech savvy people, and people are just used to it and don't want to switch. The software is a huge issue, for example I still have to dualboot just for the DAW I use and things like sony vegas and after effects, I have a million projects in it that are important to me so I can't just find a new DAW that works with Linux and they are likely not very good.

If companies start making their software for Linux MS would be fucked. On the other hand, I think you guys should realize that if more people start moving to Linux, there is a big chance that it would start becoming as shitty as Windows, as it starts becoming more oriented around corporations and normalfag shit, where as right now its main userbase is tech nerds.

well, development in general works fairly better in unix environments

> where as right now its main userbase is tech nerds
Red Hat, IBM, Google and shiet.

I like my updates NOT forced

WINFAGS ETERNALLY BTFO

Well I don't do dev work nor do I have the desire to

I use both. Linux is more customizable and lightweight. Also less botnet. Windows has good supported software like Adobe products.

The biggest obstacle are prebuilt systems that come with an OS, that being Windows in over 99% of the cases. Software compatibility is indeed another huge issue. Wine needs more devs. I disagree on the user base thing though, there are plenty of companies making Linux software, and plenty who use Linux only. Distros like Ubuntu are as normalfag as it gets.

>Explore
>Expand
>Exploit
>Exterminate

>why are you still using linux when you could be using linux?
That's literally you.

When I said userbase I meant the userbase in terms of non business / server type stuff, using it as a desktop at home. Linux dominates server, I don't know much about how it's used in business.

fair enough

It would violate the GPL if Windows didn't publicly release the source code of their modified Linux kernel and anything they used or modified that was open source under the GPL license.

>As an aside, to my knowledge Valve is slowing down their Linux efforts after Steam Machines failed to take off.
Steam machines failed to take off years ago and they still created proton, are you a moron?

>if we put a linux kernel in it surely those linux hackers will let us spy on them!

What does this mean exactly?

Will you be able to switch between which kernel is being used? Or is this just for the linux subsystem terminal?

Windows is bloat

>deprecated platform
>Frankenstein monster
nail on the head.

Microsoft tried and won. No other company has software that's used on every device. Think about office online, their monopoly on corporate email, how most androids access Microsoft servers, etc. Also, the Microsoft cloud is the biggest right now.

It is still significantly more featureful and customizable than Windows, and developing in a native environment will always be significantly more comfortable than developing through a janky-ass shim layer with a kernel super-glued on.

macOS does, which is a hell of a lot better than Faildoes

i like my updates like i like being raped: forced, at any time of day, even when i am in the middle of something important

and especially when i just want to reboot my computer (because the shitty OS it is running requires constant reboots just to function normally)

It's better. Even Microsoft have given in to it's superior quality by building it into their own OS

The original implementation of WSL let you use a bash terminal with a CLI only version of Ubuntu or any other distro from the store
The kernel used was of Microsoft's creation and it translated Linux syscalls to NT ones, the opposite of wine basically
The new version of WSL acts the same as the old WSL but the kernel is now the actual full GPL licensed Linux kernel in it's own VM

Thats the point.

"If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won. "

Linux fucking won.

tony hawks high tech aboriginal pro 5

Not really a solution to your old-project problem but Bitwig is great, I want to ditch Ableton Live for it.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, Windows/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Windows plus Linux. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather a proprietary set of programs built on top of a of a fully functioning monolithic Linux kernel made useful by schedulers, memory & process management, and device drivers enabling the Windows programs to run. Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux kernel every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called "Windows", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux kernel, developed by Linus Torvalds. There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the userspace: the programs in the system that users interact with. The user space is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is recently started being used in combination with the Linux kernel: the whole system is basically Linux with Windows added on top, or Windows/Linux. All the so-called "Windows" versions are really versions of Windows/Linux.

year of the quote?

Embrace, extend, extinguish.
Fucking newfags.

No, that's their point. It doesn't matter what Microsoft does, it will always be to the detriment of it's users in one way or another. Microsoft can fully abandon NT and create a Linux distro to compete and nerds will still hate them. Windows is not really the problem perse but Microsoft. Microsoft is the problem.

>windows/linux
This triggers my autism

Attached: 1555785411069.jpg (445x503, 41K)

You know virtual machine software has been around for years right?
Almost as long as windows has been utter fucking worthless trash.

>Embrace
>Extend (YOU'RE HERE)
>Extinguish

Microsoft has plenty of competent developers, if they got rid of the windows legacy shit they could make a good OS and I feel like this WSL 2 thing is a stepping stone for the devs to try to convince the higher ups to just ditch windows eventually.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Can't wait for NT/Linux

so basically nothing newsworthy.

Win10 1809 aside from not being FOSS is pretty good. Windows has tons of support and most devs are on it but again Windows is not really the problem but Microsoft. Microsoft will never make Windows FOSS. Windows will always be a security concern that should be avoided.

this

Microsoft cannot ditch support for legacy applications. Their business customers will never let them.

Win32 should unironiclly never die

Windows already needs a compatibility layer to work with many legacy applications.

not him but what should I use for VMs?

retard that doesn't belong and will leave after this post here. does this mean i would be able to install any distro on windows and use it while running any windows application?

Bot threads are mostly filled with bot replies.