Let's be honest about TempleOS. Terry was a talented programmer, but his design decisions don't make much sense

Let's be honest about TempleOS. Terry was a talented programmer, but his design decisions don't make much sense

>segmented memory model with no paging.
>supporting 64-bit, which is redundant since the only "use" he found for the extended registers is cramming ASCII characters in to them.
>running all code in ring 0, meaning any code can execute privileged instructions not meant for userspace programs.

I don't mean to bully Terry but in all honesty, even as a meme TempleOS is fucking shit.

Still, i unironically miss Terry.

Attached: Me101115c.jpg (418x438, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oY33uoBSw3w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Schizophrenics suicide every day. Lots of them are smart or talented. I see no reason to canonize this particular jerkoff.

I see the way you glow

t. glow in the dark, CIA black man

TempleOS is not segmented, it's a single identity mapped memory area
>supporting 64-bit, which is redundant since the only "use" he found for the extended registers is cramming ASCII characters in to them.
what are you even talking about?
>running all code in ring 0, meaning any code can execute privileged instructions not meant for userspace programs.
this is the whole point of TempleOS, it enables some nifty design with executables being essentially dynamically loaded libraries. Why would you want TempleOS like every other operating system?

you must be new here? this place is full of computer illiterate fucking morons and street shitting indians that have no idea what they are talking about.

I know but sometimes a white man needs to step in and set things straight.

post that webm

Take up the White Man’s burden—

Send forth the best ye breed—

Go send your sons to exile

To serve your captives' need

To wait in heavy harness

On fluttered folk and wild—

Your new-caught, sullen peoples,

Half devil and half child

Take up the White Man’s burden

In patience to abide

To veil the threat of terror

And check the show of pride;

By open speech and simple

An hundred times made plain

To seek another’s profit

And work another’s gain

Take up the White Man’s burden—

And reap his old reward:

The blame of those ye better

The hate of those ye guard—

The cry of hosts ye humour

(Ah slowly) to the light:

"Why brought ye us from bondage,

“Our loved Egyptian night?”

Take up the White Man’s burden-

Have done with childish days-

The lightly proffered laurel,

The easy, ungrudged praise.

Comes now, to search your manhood

Through all the thankless years,

Cold-edged with dear-bought wisdom,

The judgment of your peers!

>running all code in ring 0
This was like the main point of TempleOS's predecessors

Do you have a source where I can learn detailed information about the interworkings of templeos?

Terry was operating on a plane higher than ours. He knew if he just shipped the perfect OS without flaws, no one would pay attention to its magnificence. He created some intentional design flaws so that people would pay more attention to its Message, while still leaving us with enough hidden and dispersed instructions as a blueprint for us to construct the Fourth Temple. Truly a blessed soul.

Attached: 4th_temple.jpg (1024x731, 240K)

The TempleOS Doc folder. Did you think O'Reilly had a book out about it?

I doubt you are white.

source code and docs

Yeah that's a really nice post OP but let me remind you that God himself told Terry how to design TempleOS. Terry was indeed very talented and crazy and is missed.

youtube.com/watch?v=oY33uoBSw3w

It's the fact he built it by himself, coral castle is a shit castle compared to european castles. but one guy built it alone at night

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

Look at the Serenity OS though, built by one guy too, but already looks ahead of TempleOS after just a few months.
IMO a big part of what makes Terry's system impressive is that he built it despite his condition.

>>segmented memory model with no paging.
Wrong.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. It supported 64 bit cpus because that's what 99% of people have, are you retarded?
It doesn't even have networking support which makes this totally irrelevant. Again, are you retarded?

Attached: 1528437619580.webm (454x340, 1.44M)

That's a big fucking mess, just cum in a sock like a normal person.

Or on your belly?

Attached: 1535883728155.webm (800x600, 1.92M)

MODS

More than that, they're conformists.

TempleOS doesn't use memory segmentation so I'm not sure what you're talking about here, as far as I know it's just one big flat memory.
I don't think that's true and besides he made 64bit available so it can be used if desired. At bare minimum 64bit lets you use all of the memory in the machine instead of being confined to 4 gigs.

It's a hackers sandbox just like a commodore or Incompatible Timesharing System. His point was to get all of the bullshit out of the way so you can actually write code for the bare machine. He was building a modern commodore, he said TempleOS was a bike in comparison to linux being a semi truck.

Security should be possible for TempleOS though just create a ring 3 sandbox environment to run specific programs or possibly use virtualization to run entire sandboxed TempleOS instances.

I miss Terry and have been slowly working on my own fork of TempleOS.

Attached: TerryDavis.jpg (474x474, 29K)

>It supported 64 bit cpus because that's what 99% of people have, are you retarded
this is the level of Jow Forums

MOOOOOOOOODS

>no reason to support 64 bit registers and other extensions if you're not gonna use it, it's just bloat

This. Talented, smart, but not worth much in the grand scheme. Terry’s dead and it’s for the better

> Cant change files sizes on red sea file system.

bullshit

It was deliberately designed that way.

this

Terry was a fucking schizo. I'm glad he's dead.

his done more than any of us

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that you can't (more like shouldn't - unless you know what you're doing) grow a file's size, but you can certainly shrink it - just modify the file's CDirEntry.size

Yup, schizos aren't real people.

Sounds like you haven't watched his videos. He said temple os is not supposed to replace a modern os, but its an education os inspired by commodore 64. You get access to everything in the os, no dynamic library linking etc. Its an os you can have fun with and his editor shows that. You can create 2d/3d models and music and use them directly in code without any code to load them, as they are embedded in the code. No game dev tool us that simple and elegant

>Terry was a talented programmer, but his design decisions don't make much sense
No shit. He was a skitzophrenic.

Attached: 1516716981410.jpg (600x600, 35K)

Because you get butthurt by him.

based post, what've you been working on?

he was a talented animal abuser and being a burden to his family

>jerkoff

Attached: 1556835510088.webm (568x318, 2.81M)

You guys killed him and I just want you all to know that.

@70879235
nice bait

OMG so much this1!!!

Attached: 1532295251927.jpg (2048x1344, 560K)

Terry did what he sought to do and ended up being bored. If you can't find any meaning to keep going for too long it's not too surprising to stop.

Delete this

Not really, he would have done it earlier otherwise.
The only thing that killed him glows in the dark.

Women and cattle are not burdened by a search for meaning. They go on about their daily lives unconcerned by such concern yet they rarely end up killing themselves.

Most women's only meaning in life is to garner attention themselves. It's not something difficult for women to do, and if it is then they can feign a suicide attempt.

you glow in the dark

Jow Forums will never come to terms with it

samefag

A lot of the stuff stems from the fact it all had to be done by a single guy I think

White men caused the world's problems by trying to "set things straight". Enjoy your extinction.

ok nsa

(You) dont undestud The Ptofet Genius!
Oblivious all this made for incoming God Made Holy CPU !
Holy CPU is fre form Jawish scam like paging or exicution permissions

Attached: LOW_POWER_CPU_BLENDEE.gif (400x296, 353K)

it only look ironicaly

seething brownie

post your rare Terries. I miss him so bad.

Attached: 1554888145660.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

>it enables some nifty design with executables being essentially dynamically loaded libraries

Fucking what? The entire point of it is that there is NO dynamically loaded objects you dumb fucking nigger. TempleOS is a simple man's operating system. See That argument does make sense unless you factor for Terry's design elsewhere, which is philosophized around the concept of "bloat" AKA glowies. Terry didn't need the numbered registers provided by AMD64.

Serenity OS is a Unix-like operating system, so it can just borrow code from every other fucking Unix-like and hack it together with ports. TempleOS at least had some originality.

I want this t-shirt.

Attached: 1556688724065.webm (800x600, 1.92M)

>Fucking what? The entire point of it is that there is NO dynamically loaded objects you dumb fucking nigger
Look up the Load function in Kernel/KLoad.HC.Z. Executables in TempleOS are similar to dynamically loaded libraries of other operating systems. Look how TempleOS's kernel will load Compiler.BIN.Z after boot so that it can run other programs with JIT compilation.

dude
seriously?
i hope karma comes and unironically fucks you up the ass so hard for this
gay

Shut up moron

die

Spoken like a true triggered gnu/onions boy

>no paging
>ring 0
That was the point.

this
You are not fooling anyone nigger

>in a sock
huh? i've never done that before, wouldn't that be uncomfortable?

But he said niggers!

faggot

Terry was God’s chosen programmer. When you witness the rapture and see the second coming (where Jesus wields a battered thinkpad running templeOS to singlehandedly defeat the antichrist) then you’ll realize the truth

>segmented memory model
I don't think so? each process just got an offset, or something like that. I think it was just a macro.

HolyCPU then?

Attached: TEMPLE_OS.png (734x566, 354K)

>Crazy guy with schizophrenia creates an OS because voices in his head, which he thought were god, told him to
> Some guy on Jow Forums is critiquing it, claiming it shit

Wtf did you expect you fucking brainlet

Attached: YourAssWhenImDone.jpg (960x640, 38K)

He only did what god told him to do

>Desqview recreated badly by a mentally ill programmer
>originality
ok kid

hey Jow Forums, whatcha doing?

Why would a desert be seething? Only group that will be seething are wh*tes that meddled with the world trying to "spread good" aka exploit everyone and everything since they are gonna be wiped out from their own retardation