4 gigs of ram enough these days?

thinking of buying a new dell XPS 13. The difference in price between the 4G DDR3 model and 8G DDR3 is $300 USD

All I am going to be using this is for
learning web development (as a student)
watching you tube videos
browsing the net.

What kind of performance hit can I expect?

Attached: Rainbow_10_scaled.gif (360x240, 1.8M)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/laptops/13-9380/spd/xps-13-9380-laptop?appliedRefinements=202,302
lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-300-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-L340-15API/p/88IPL301170
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It can be significant. I'd say that for what you describe 8GB is reasonable (ie you don't NEED 16) but I'd not buy a modern PC with less than 8GB of RAM.

....and DDR3? That's not a new item in any way shape or form. Even old hardware uses DDR4 now.

Fucking what? DDR3 memory hasn't been a thing in over five years, and a 4GB DDR3 memory stick for laptops literally costs 20 bucks nowadays. Who the fuck is trying to sell you an outdated laptop at a factor 15 markup?

Unless you plan on using some lightweight distro, the answer is no. 4GB is just around what vanilla Windows idles at these days. Consider getting a Thinkpad or, at the very least, a laptop with socketed RAM so you can purchase your own.

>$300 USD difference
You can buy a 8GB DDR3 stick for ~$40.

right off of dells website

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/laptops/13-9380/spd/xps-13-9380-laptop?appliedRefinements=202,302

the main reason I am interested in it is because the I tried my friends and the size is perfect and the battery life is good.

What a fucking ripoff.

probably ubuntu or fedora
that also includes a bigger NVMe drive, which I dont care about.

2GB is enough desu.

Lol this has to be a typo

also I don't think the memory can be upgraded, I think it is part of the motherboard

Unironically buy a new thinkpad for this much money

Why don't you think ram can't be upgraded? What sort of internal logic are you using to arrive at that conclusion?

I'll tell you right now, you're wrong, but lets hear your rationals.

He might be assuming the dims are soldered to the board retard. Why are you being so aggressive? Not every laptop has expansion slots and he's clearly a layman in the topic.

This
I think I saw a picture of the laptop opened up at one point.

Why not get a better laptop, like a 3500U one? Intel laptops have really poor SSD performance now that over 30+ security mitigations need to be active to keep you secure. AMD laptops don't have this problem like pic related. You DO care about SSD performance, right?

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-300-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-L340-15API/p/88IPL301170

Attached: meltdown_crystal_disk_mark_6_4k_read_q32_t1_broadwell_xps13_corei5-100747467-large.jpg (700x421, 33K)

>wanting to know how someone thinks is aggressive
LMAO. How are you suppose to understand someone else if you dont understand how they think.

hardly outdated, it's an 8th gen CPU. They're still putting LPDDR3 in some laptops because there isn't a mainstream low power variant of DDR4 iirc

Go for at least 8 GB, OP.
You are gonna need to run a web browser, a text editor (possibly made in Electron), a server, a data base, Postman and more. I suffered with 6 GB, 4 GB won't do.

>doesn't know how windows works

Absolute pleb. Windows is designed to use as much ram as possible at all times. It preload your most used programs into memory for faster operation.

In Windows? That 4GB loss will be significant? In any Linux distro, even the most boated? None.