Laptop thread

My used x230 is starting to bail on me after a couple years of use, and seems to lose power at random times.

What is a good ultraportable laptop to buy that's high quality but also won't rip me off? Good M2 1TB SSD's cost less than $150 now, but many options seem to charge $800 to upgrade, and/or make it extremely inconvenient to upgrade yourself by soldering everything.

Attached: software_development_with_cats.png (980x785, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-MX130-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-8-Ryzen-iGPU/m439531vsm441833
costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD---GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti---GeForce-Fortnite-Bundle-Digital-Download-Code-with-Purchase.product.100405155.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I would buy an elephant cat

Elephant cats are amazing *toot*

pröööhhh!! :DDD

should i get a notebook with a GTX 1070 instead of the RTX 2060? price is the same.

are RTX on laptops a meme or is it actual future-proofing?

And that extra hand looks really useful. Makes it easy to pick up your cat, or have your cat hold things for you.

RTX cards -especially the 2060- shouldn't be bought because you think they will be good at ray tracing for any amount of time in the future. However, the 2060 is a better card in raw power even without RTX, so it's just a clear winner. The VRAM shouldn't matter at all on a laptop.

OP here. Have been scouring amazon for laptops for several hours straight and theorycrafting how good they'd be for various tasks.

I wish there were more ryzen laptops out there. For a laptop in the ~$700 budget range, the Ryzen's integrated graphics are way better than they have any right to be while adding basically nothing to the cost:
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-MX130-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-8-Ryzen-iGPU/m439531vsm441833

For a while the new Lenovo flex 14 inch with a Ryzen processor looked perfect (apart from replacing SSD voiding warranty), until I figured out it can't be upgraded past 8 GB of ram. Into the trash it goes.

My basic wishlist:
> Good HD screen sized in the 13-14 inch sweet spot. 2in1 touch appreciated

> Latest gen low to midrange CPU or equivalent

> 8 GB ram minimum, easily upgradeable to 16 GB if it doesn't come with 16 gigs.

> Replaceable M2 SSD with no glued/soldered MMC so that I can immediately upgrade it to 1 TB of ram now that cheap SSDs are available, and ideally continue to do pic related if I run out of space after a few years.

> Optional, but while graphics are not a priority for me, it shouldn't be completely outclassed by a cheap gaming desktop from 2012. I'd like it to run old games easily

Ideally keeping total budget including SSD upgrade below $900.

Attached: mooresLawXKCD.png (1426x545, 76K)

>If I dream small and try to make an average cat I'll make a shit cat abomination
Why not dream about making the tiger from the start?

Attached: 1352454243479.jpg (400x360, 38K)

Because tigers hunt humans instead of rats

>he's too beta to tame a tiger

Attached: tyson_tiger.jpg (338x512, 78K)

Guys how is this deal from Costco

costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD---GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti---GeForce-Fortnite-Bundle-Digital-Download-Code-with-Purchase.product.100405155.html

>that last panel
W H O L E S O M E

Prestigio SmartBook 141 C2

I paid $1600 AUD TWO YEARS AGO for a thinkpad with a better processor, more memory (though with one SSD and one HDD), 2gb 1050Ti, 8gb of ram.

Intel Core i5-8265U | Whiskey Lake | Quad-Core (1.60 GHz up to 3.90 GHz, 6 MB SmartCache, 14 nm, 25 W)
8 GB DDR4
256 GB SSD | M.2 PCIe NVMe (2280)
NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (GT 1030) DDR5 - 2GB

pic related, new for $755

For a new laptop, I think it's great.

Attached: ass.jpg (2719x2744, 398K)

ASUS VivoBook S14, btw.

specs are useless on a laptop if you use a desktop mainly, all that matters is a comfy keyboard and nice screen

Does it just randomly turn off during use? If so, I had that problem. It's an issue with they power button. Just replace the keyboard and it'll fix it.

I'm not sure I understand. The computer I linked to has 32gb of ram and 1tb ssd.

Different user. I have that problem with my X230, though it usually does hard shut-down bellow 20ish % batterylife. Temperature is fine so it's not about that. Kind of annoying quirk with the laptop since it's otherwise in a greate condition.

Lenovo yoga 9xx
HP Envy 13 or x2
Microsoft surface pro x

X is whatever number, I'm looking for a good deal on any of these. Is there anything on this list I should try to lean more towards, or something I've overlooked?

Attached: DESKTOP.jpg (3840x2160, 1.03M)

why is he wearing a diaper