2002: .NET is the future!

tech.slashdot.org/story/19/05/08/2033217/microsoft-wants-to-close-the-uwp-win32-divide-with-windows-apps

2002: .NET is the future!
2006: WPF is the future!
2012: WinRT is the future!
2015: UWP is the future!
2019: N-native developers! P-please come back to us!

10 years of not having to deal with Win32 API (or any other Microsoft specific APIs) and I've never felt so good in my life.

Attached: Untitled.png (955x523, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

joelonsoftware.com/2004/06/13/how-microsoft-lost-the-api-war/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I still don't really understand what UWP was supposed to be for, what problem was it trying to fix?

>what problem was it trying to fix?
Mainly the top level execs' problems of "not having an app store to get that sweet sweet 30% cut for each transaction."

appx packages are a good thing desu

Attached: msbotnet.png (746x311, 68K)

some kind of sandboxed bullshit to make it easier to distribute apps via their store, support multiple architectures, etc ... I think.
but win32 is proven and nobody wants to move to whatever gay, unsupported nonsense MS has dreamed up next.

you forgot Silverlight.

>microshaft realized win32 _is_windows
i was hoping they wouldnt and that would be the end of wangblows. one can dream

joelonsoftware.com/2004/06/13/how-microsoft-lost-the-api-war/

Attached: download.gif (350x400, 28K)

tobimacoss on suicide watch

>Raymond Chen
I'm surprised that guy's still working at Microsoft.

>The reason it takes $130,000 to hire someone with COM experience is because nobody bothered learning COM programming in the last eight years or so, so you have to find somebody really senior, usually they’re already in management, and convince them to take a job as a grunt programmer, dealing with (God help me) marshalling and monikers and apartment threading and aggregates and tearoffs and a million other things that, basically, only Don Box ever understood, and even Don Box can’t bear to look at them any more.
Kek

jfc MS just put everything in legacy/enterprise extended support for 40 years and install gentoo

Thank God the ms store failed, if pcs started turning into walled gardens it would be horrible.

.NET is actually successful and widely used though

For internal development purposes for small/medium businesses running Microsoft stack.

This, basically.

>The Windows testing team is huge and one of their most important responsibilities is guaranteeing that everyone can safely upgrade their operating system, no matter what applications they have installed, and those applications will continue to run, even if those applications do bad things or use undocumented functions or rely on buggy behavior that happens to be buggy in Windows n but is no longer buggy in Windows n+1. In fact if you poke around in the AppCompatibility section of your registry you’ll see a whole list of applications that Windows treats specially, emulating various old bugs and quirky behaviors so they’ll continue to work.

Didn't salty nutella fire that entire department in 2015?

Yeah, they fired that team and shoved telemetry down our throats, essentially making every single Windows 10 consumer their QA team.

and for 3rd of the internet websites and half of the games on steam.

I hope the Store and UWP will die ASAP, literally no one wants to use this crap, except a few autists

Where else would he go at this point? He's been there what, almost 40 years? Might as well stick it out to retirement.

>half of the games on steam
you mean shitty unity games? sure.

WTF is happening? MS just tripled the amount of shilling on HN and other places. UWP Office is dead. Jow Forumswindows10 usual retards are working full time to keep the narrative. What are they preparing us for?

Attached: id.jpg (525x524, 179K)

>There are currently people within this "new" Microsoft, that are Windows haters who actively try to sabotage the Windows platform from within. Those people shouldn't be in a position to make decisions like this.
>MS should really consider tightening up their hiring practices. MS employees should show loyalty towards Windows, and use modern Windows desktops, Windows laptops, Windows 2-in-1s and Windows tablets with touchscreens. Everybody should be on the same page working towards a common goal.
>This "new" Microsoft gives their employees too much freedom to do and use whatever they want, leading to situations like this.

Every single modern UWP app in Windows 10 is slower and uses more resources than its legacy counterpart.

They've integrated a full working Linux kernel and Mono into Windows. At some point it's going to flip from Linux on NT to NT on Linux, with WINE/Proton acting as a legacy Win32 loader. As the WINE folks show it's a lot easier to build conditional binary handling into a userspace program than into an OS without adversely impacting the other code paths.

>half of the games on steam
90% of the games on steam are shovelware

even the C++ stuff

>UWP Office is dead.
wait what, what's happening? didn't they kill desktop onenote in favor of uwp?

OneNote UWP and available in the store. UWP Office dead. Office experimenting with react native but that's probably dead by now since the Edge Chromium move. O365. PWA is the future. UWP PWA.
Now add Fluent Design to the mix, each toolkit and even JS shit trying to deal with it. While half the OS still smells like Win XP/7/8 times.
Jesus, what a clusterfuck.

Is there a blog post or other coverage about this?
>edge making any difference in their web app strategy
don't see it
it made yet another ms store section close though
>uwp pwa
LMAO
whatever the fuck is that?
remember when they "allowed pwas in store"
fluent design is a sham btw, but that's just 10 where everything is bad design

so it makes sense that they deprioritize 10 mobile apps, but they still have tablets and desktop uwp apps.
it will be very funny to see them come back to desktop onenote, especially when they skipped 2019 release, though they still updated onenote desktop recently

Crossplatform compatibility.
It actually kinda worked, Xbox One and Windows 10 programs work on both platforms and I guess that's one reason why nobody hacks it: current Xbone program library is enough.

uwp apps, more like shitty windows 10 apps that only work on 10 because every other platform is dead, getting killed, or irrelevant
so much for the universality

>oh lawd whatever shit bloated frameworks we came up with are shit, let us return to writing decent code that compiles to native machine instructions, something that's proven to be reliable, fast and if well written easy to mantain without the bloat of 1000 packages
Have we shifted timelines, lads?

Attached: 1555995111612.jpg (584x960, 61K)

turning your desktop computer into a tablet.

kek

Anyone who champions the MS store dying is a legit fucking retard
The MS store solved one of the biggest issues with Windows which was the fact there was no moderately safe place for someone to get and install software, unlike every other OS
You wouldn't otherwise accept a distro without a repository
You wouldn't otherwise accept Android or IOS without some short of marketplace
Oh but for some reason Windows having a store is just oh so terrible

ironically windows store is the go-to place to get scammed
there are like 7 ok apps there, and most of them are from facebook

> Here are a few examples of things you can’t really do well in a web application:

> Create a fast drawing program
> Build a real-time spell checker with wavy red underlines
> Warn users that they are going to lose their work if they hit the close box of the browser
> Update a small part of the display based on a change that the user makes without a full roundtrip to the server
> Create a fast keyboard-driven interface that doesn’t require the mouse
> Let people continue working when they are not connected to the Internet
It's 2019 and amazing how this is completely irrelevant.

Before the store you would have had the same shit but you would be giving those apps administrator permission to install
The store does have some junk in it but none of it requires admin rights to install and are sandboxed which severely limits their impact

Let's be real, they locked it down because they wanted to get a piece of the $ pie just like Google/Apple in the mobile market. And they'll keep trying.
It's disgusting how store apps locks down the files and the feeling of having control of your system. The store itself barely works, it's laughable.
There are valid technical reasons ofc (pure shit implementation tho) but you can't give the benefit of the doubt for these companies. Once the frogs are in the pan the shareholders will demand their meal.

Company I work for is trying to develop a fairly large UWP app for IoT core and the amount of shit we have had to deal with is beyond a joke.

>20 minutes to compile .net native
>5 minutes to compile debug
>can't single step on target
>forces rebuild even if no code changed
>deadlocks in standard library
>compiler bugs causing crashes

Try to get Microsoft support on any of this and they act like you don't exist. Feels like we are the only people in the world developing on this fucking platform so I'm not surprised at all.

Serious question: why not Android? It's not like Java devs are expensive.

They just want professionals to buy their shit. Professionals use mac/linux while home users don't really pay for windows, that's their problem.

if they drop all legacy support and fire all the pajeets windows might become good

Easier said than done. You can't just fire everybody and hire a fresh team. The existing team is familiar with windows development (from developing other products on Win CE)

>Easier said than done. You can't just fire everybody and hire a fresh team.
Sure you can, or they can learn Java.
>The existing team is familiar with windows development (from developing other products on Win CE)
Sounds like your developers have fifteen years of brain damage to undo.

>what is unfair dismissal
>what is domain knowledge

honestly uwp should be nuked from windows

>im too retarded to download safe .exe/.msi installers from trusted websites, therefore i need a walled garden Store with shitty sandboxed UWP apps
Seriously, if you want a centralized repository to download Windows software there is always Chocolatey or Scoop - all of the programs there are reviewed and virus-free and they will install without any ask toolbars or other bundleware, which i guess you're not even capable of unticking in the installers.
The Store is a piece of shit and no one wants it, that's the truth.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (645x729, 34K)

>implying
I don't have an issue, it's all the utter fucking normies that have issues and if it takes a walled garden to make sure they don't fuck their PCs so be it

>I don't have an issue, it's all the utter fucking normies that have issues and if it takes a walled garden to make sure they don't fuck their PCs so be it
Then it's their problem, not mine, they should educate themselves instead of having Microsoft holding their hand. Just like in natural selection, they should adapt and learn. Microsoft should not cripple poweruser experience just to satisfy normies.

>tfw unironically like wpf

>windows for embedded
Monkeyfucking Jesus Christ. Even if it worked (according to your greentext it doesn't) it'd be a major horror.

Literally anything embedded to do with banking runs on it.

>unfair dismissal
I genuinely do not know what this means. If you're in an at-will employment state you can literally write "ay lmao you're fired" on a napkin and it counts.

Americunts are truly retarded.
The world is not America, some countries have decent laws against unfair dismissal

Sounds like you're the one with the dumb laws if they're making you keep worthless dead weight around.

yet i've never been fired, ever. america is fine worry about your own shithole.
when you write laws that people can't be fired you end up like france where they're lazy and don't make any money

Power users don't make MS money. Why would MS cares about "normies" way more. Also, go back to plebbit