Plex vs Emby vs Jellyfin

Which is the best media streaming server software in your opinion?

Attached: emby vs plex.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.plex.tv/articles/200250387-streaming-media-direct-play-and-direct-stream/
emby.media/premiereterms.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

None of them, just take the time to actually set up steaming infrastructure yourself

t. retard

Plex is best if you don't care about freedom.
Jellyfin is best if you do.

Emby is the worst of both.
Devs don't fix fucking thumbnail issues from years ago, they tried forcing people to pay a subscription by putting a countdown timer before every video play in their apps, they put giant banners on their dashboards to advertise and their metadata management is a fucking mess.
Oh and the "lifetime" subscription for Emby isn't lifetime, just until the next major version, at least if you cuck out and pay for Plex it's actrual lifetime.

Plex by far.....

Supports hardware transcoding on a lot of hardware.

You can also unlock unlimited NVENC streams on cheap nvidia cards like 1050 ti.

Plex fucking rocks

they're still all shit

how can i get both a fancy ui like one of these media servers to keep track of shit but play video directly in mpv or something? all of the media server options force transcoding and fuck up subtitles.

You can choose to stream videos directly by picking maximum quality in plex. And subtitles have always just werked for me, too.

Are you sure?

support.plex.tv/articles/200250387-streaming-media-direct-play-and-direct-stream/

I only use Plex for it's unofficial app store.
So I have only a superficial understanding of it.
Never heard of Emby.

Based retard.

We had this exact thread two days ago
Also. Plex if you intend to share your media with your normie friends.

Can I run any on a Raspberry Pi? Using Plex right now but it's not good but it works.

Plex (with plex connect) I can use to stream to an old apple tv gen 3 with it easily being reversed (aka doesn't mess with any of the software on it). So that's what the advantage is for me at least.

What's the best device to use Plex on though? The Nvidia Shield?

minidlna to TV

Plex does not transcode if the highest quality option is selected, provided your network can handle the full bitrate.

If your TV can handle it, the native TV app is the best, but yes Nvidia Shield has the strongest processor of any device.

plex always transcode video with ass/ssa subs
and this is very disappointing

unfortunately mpc-hc+madvr is still the only high quality solution

>asks for streaming solution
>posts something that doesn't stream video

In about a year Jellyfin will probably be the best - it has some real good momentum, but right now it's just too broken to recommend. Plex/Emby are effectively interchangeable, they both have their positives and negatives.

Plex Media Player does not have this problem. Incidentally, it uses mpv for playback engine.

I have plex media player (beta) installed on windows 10 PC and server always transcode anime with ass subs. it can direct play only If I turn off subs but this is not solution

>Windows
Sorry for your loss.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-10 00-52-43.png (2152x713, 914K)

FreeNas + Plex & Transmission = Win. Screw you bitrot and drive failure issues. Life is made to be enjoyed. When something "just works" you stick with it and let it be.

I need WebOS support.

Supposedly the Apple TV 4K is the strongest, I've heard it can decode 10bit H264 without problem where the Shield cannot.

how do I browse the folder of my plex serrver? It's hard to watch anime when the anime folder has 1700 video files in it, and they are just arranged by name

Whats all this talk about plex its fucking shit without a pass(200 euro lifetime lmao)

Does plex just suck at identifying stuff? i keep on having it identify stuff wrong, especially specials and such, and then it just is unfixable, or it doesn't show up at all

120* still a rediculous ammount

What is Plex?

so what's the point of it all? i can access files via smb and it works fine

I switched from Plex to Emby years ago. Now that Emby has gone proprietary, I've stuck with the last open-source version. I intend to migrate to Jellyfin but from what I've seen there's wasn't a guaranteed way to migrate while keeping your media library, so without re-scraping everything. I've put a fair amount of work in that shit and I don't want to start over, so when I have some time and feel like it I'll probably attempt to migrate.

keep track of shit and sort things with a nice ui

I don't even understand why beyond the pass price. Plex's sorting is garbage, manual folders rather than tags is an awful way to sort movies due to multi-genre stuff. Also it has minor nags like having to double folder the front end (Say you made a folder for Action. You click that then are brought to a summary page with a list of recent additions then need to click "All Action Videos" again to get into the proper video list).

It lays out so much worse than Emby or even Kodi.

And here's another Linuxtard come over to say how his slower, shittier front end method is so great. Sort by genre? tags? actors? franchise? straight from the front menu and browse by title?

Nah I'll just open up my MOVIES folder with 1700 suborders and go through one by one alphabetically, such a great home movies experience!

yeah i guess mpv ~/Movies/*One*Punch*Man*2*05 is too hard

for me personally the lack of users without a pass is the worst, since i'm currently servicing my dad and a few normies

smb is Windows you absolute mouth breathing dipshit.

eh? Plex supports tagging of genres into collections. I have my main movie folder and collections of different genres sorted under that (with multi-genre) support.

plex's sorting is so fucking bad. #1 reason i don't use it

>Oh and the "lifetime" subscription for Emby isn't lifetime, just until the next major version, at least if you cuck out and pay for Plex it's actrual lifetime.

nice fud

emby.media/premiereterms.html

>Lifetime Term: Lifetime shall mean the entire period in which the respective product, services, and/or features, as indicated below and updated from time to time, are offered for license.

>None of them, just take the time to actually set up steaming infrastructure yourself
The absolute state of autists.

Based idiot.

Emby has always been partially proprietary, idiot.

I'm kind of hoping that Kodi could take the initiative and develop a more robust backend solution. You can already replicate a fair bit of Plex's functionality with Kodi but it is a bit janky and fairly involved.

The LG TV app STILL doesn't play most shit. Devs have been saying they will fix it forever. However, Emby respects my file structure, Plex doesn't.

Plex, cause the other two dont have SyncLounge
and thats a critical nobrainer feature that i dont kbow why the others dont have

if emby had a synced playback feature id use emby. having to have an online account and have my media server talking to some company on the internet to work is pretty weird. tgat said, works good.

samba + minidlna + ffmpeg
fuck off, losers

answer this please

does kellyfin have synchronized playback on multiple clients?

i just want something to easily track and keep track of shit, while just playing videos over sftp in mpv. how is there nothing like this out there

Emby > Plex

This is partially true, some formats can't be steamed to a browser so server side transcoding happens anyways (not sure what formats haven't used plex for a while)

You are wrong.

How's Jellyfin doing these days lads?