>gnome
>chug chug chug I am a memory slut
>lxde
>looks like windows xp but does nothing else whatsoever
>xubuntu
>loox like every possible distro
>minimal ram usage. sips ram like a sir
>xubuntu is the distro of fine sophisticated gentleman with high grade autism

Attached: 1557288354551.jpg (500x375, 25K)

A learned gentlemen will know that there is a difference between distros and DEs

Attached: 1469657456020.jpg (659x637, 68K)

cde best de

>not using MATE desktop
Screenshot from a few days ago, Ubuntu MATE and Debian MATE are the best distros I've used by far. XUbuntu is good and all but fuck is MATE light and simple to use. KDE Neon is nice too but I'm too retarded to mess with widgets all day.

Attached: uo5tfm6dltv21.png (2160x1440, 1.8M)

What about gentoo tho

xubuntu uses xfce,

Kde, Gnome, and lxde are not distros

OP reminds me of the incredulent apple users who like to ask you if you have a Samsung or an Android.

>>kde
>>broken
>>does not work
I have to say I never had problems with KDE on any distro *besides* Ubuntu

I just want xfce with touchscreen support
save me from gnome/kde

4.14 will add this and become another shitty gtk3 DE. Probably.

cool, can't wait till it's out in 10 years

Distro is not a DE
MATE is the best DE for battery life and performance on ubuntu 19.04

I want to use openbox. should I just replace xfce or should I start fresh with a different distro?

Xfce is DE, i.e. xfwm (its wm) + other things. Openbox is wm. You can use other wm in Xfce but I don't know exactly how to chnage that in Xfce. (Maybe arch wiki has a howto? idk)
You can try installing openbox, logout, choose openbox on your login screen, login and play with it before you decide to reinstall a distro.

>>kde
>>broken
I will need source on that. Works on my machine.
If xfce came with good file manager I would switch.

thanks for the explanation. I think the install will be simple, its more that it feels wrong to use xubuntu without the x wm

Attached: butifel.png (648x554, 22K)

thunar IS one of the good fms if you have lots of pics in your folders

ob is ugly and ded
if you want wm use i3 with tabs

But does it have flicker-free UEFI boot with a fancy plymouth loading animation while keeping the firmware vendor logo in place?

I'm tired of nerds who still think comparing anything against LXDE makes sense when it was dropped for LXQt, which is honestly at least as good as xfce at this point.

>2 bars

>xfce

Enjoy your v-sync issues.

>de
>xorg
so i see you enjoy being a retard

Attached: 1528300854217.jpg (180x180, 4K)

enjoy unscaled UI on your low-resoulution screen without touch support

Kubuntu's been pretty good lately, haven't had any problems when I tried it.
Am using Debian now with KDE, it's comfy.

What are you even talking about?
Xfce has problems with vsync while others DE don't, it's not xorg's fault.
They corrected it on 4.13 it seems.

it's called tearfree and it's absolutely xorg, consider the wm's compositor as a bonus, and statistically most wms don't do vsync and the ones that do are mainly mutter and kwin

If the fault is on xorg's part, how the fuck they solved the tearing problem on Xfce 4.13?
Yeah maybe there's something related to xorg, but xfwm was fucked up... people used to change it for Compton to solve the tearing problems on Xfce.

>still can’t bind super to open menu wihout fucking up the behavior of other shortcuts using super as modifier without resorting to ugly hacks
>screen tearing everywhere, even in the lates xubuntu 19.04 out of the box
I like Xfce, but it’s not like it doesn’t have any problems. KDE works fine for me. Gnome has improved in terms of memory usage and performance, but it’s still sluggish and missing basic features (meanwhile more keep getting removed). And isn’t Lxde slowly being replaced by Lxqt?

see their git
no xfwm's optional vsync was 'fucked up'
you don't need compton for that

let's see, i have this 20ish yo laptop with xubuntu lts that has no tearing ootb
probably because it's something that doesn't depend on the xorg de

the only duchebad slowly replacing lxde is the lubuntu fag
lxde may still get PRs from time to time but afaik pcmanfm works on lxqt which isn't anything to have a hard on over like the lubuntu fag and if you do use lxqt i hope you also don't use ob

>duchebad
douchebag

ya this

>Use KDE
>have a proper filepicker when uploading my very important images to Jow Forums
>except sometimes it just 'forgets' and goes back to the shitty default list of filenames until I reset the browser
Quality German engineering.

Attached: 1334604490883.jpg (500x540, 55K)

how do you change your filepicker on KDE?

On non-firefox browsers you should have the proper filepicker out of the box. On firefox-based you right click/edit application and put this under Command: GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u
For this to work you need xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde installed, but if you're on something like kubuntu you should already have those.

alright I've given it a try, looks like I've already been using the proper one. You don't happen to know a way to put the "Places" shortcuts from Dolphin in the filepicker, do you?

You mean Fedora Xfce

I dunno, they were just there for me. Try enlarging the left pane or scrolling it down, default filepicker window is tiny and can obscure parts of it.

alright thanks

Personally I like the "two bars" on my desktop. It just feels really comfy. I've tried just using one panel but it felt off. Sure I could take advantage of more screen estate, but my own autism or whatever keeps me from doing that because 2 panels is just what I've grown comfy with.

Attached: 197m0.jpg (3054x1973, 1.6M)

Try the brisk menu for mate if you haven't yet.

I find Manjaro Xfce more polished.

is it finally not an unstable mess? last time I tried (last year) it sure was

>using a DE
Meh...

Attached: 1529388280850.png (851x501, 359K)