I'm comfy with my current software setup but I feel like I could master it more

I'm comfy with my current software setup but I feel like I could master it more.

What will I benefit from starting to learn/use Vim, Jow Forums?

(yes, I duckduckgoed it, but I need personal opinions)

Attached: 1_OVSMUYjGFQg2_xlV5Q2S8w.png (1200x1200, 268K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vim-jp.org/vimdoc-en/terminal.html#terminal-communication
stackoverflow.com/questions/9786144/visual-studio-shortcut-for-quick-fix
stackoverflow.com/questions/1218390/what-is-your-most-productive-shortcut-with-vim
youtu.be/MFzDaBzBlL0?t=80
github.com/vim-airline/vim-airline
github.com/itchyny/lightline.vim.git
github.com/mgee/lightline-bufferline.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a smug sense of superiority over your fellow programmers

It's comfy if you're on a laptop and hate trackpads

Get good at tmux and vim, it's the optimal way to program without ever lifting your hands from the keyboard.

you do vimscript
nowadays vim is less of a meme and more of an extremely simple way to put together a minimal ide.
vim-jp.org/vimdoc-en/terminal.html#terminal-communication

One of the core ideas in Vim is a text editing language. You use an "action" and you can apply it to a "motion" through your keypresses, instead of just entering in keybindings that operate on some pre-defined area of code like in a lot of tools.
This is combined with a lot of navigation/location tools so you can quickly jump around a codebase and mnemonic keybindings so you can bust out these commands as quickly as you can think. It also has macros.
What this means altogether is that you can load up some locations where you want to edit text, record some commands in the "text editing language", and then watch as Vim refactors a codebase of any size.
This highlights the biggest power of Vim. It scales for editing projects of any size, like an IDE, but you're still operating on simple text-based primitives, allowing you to use it for pretty much anything and still be comfortable.
This alone makes Vim worth learning. It's a lot like learning regex, awk, and similar fundamental text modification tools that can save you when you need automation. It just so happens that its power also contributes to being extremely comfortable and useful for day-to-day editing.

Just use Emacs.

I appreciate your answer, thank you.

The best part about vim is you no longer even have to code. You can just spend your entire day fucking around with your vim settings. It's great!

Use an IDE with a Vi keybind plugin. You get the best of both worlds that way.

1) Even learning vanilla Vim has benefits
2) Only beginners do this

>no quickfix/location list
no thanks

fk, it's so hard for me to switch since I've pretty much mastered using GUI IDEs. I'm a multiple cursor wizard, and I don't think i'll ever be able to use vim as fast as I can vscode for exmaple.

Attached: vcode.jpg (1700x940, 214K)

Something like this?
stackoverflow.com/questions/9786144/visual-studio-shortcut-for-quick-fix

no

Vim is just another tool, you can learn both. It would be like saying you can't learn sed because you're already too used to string manipulation in Python.

That's true. I use vim very often, good for editing config files and json files quickly or when I'm using someone else's computer

Go to church Luke

Nice try, I'm actually Drew Neil

you will be able to do fizzbuzz

Attached: fizzbuzzvim.webm (472x560, 649K)

Is this achievable natty?

just gonna leave this here
stackoverflow.com/questions/1218390/what-is-your-most-productive-shortcut-with-vim

How does he get his chained macro to execute instantly?

Attached: nvim.gif (1362x695, 1.03M)

by not running six million plugins, most of the shit you run you don't need friend.

Is this the apex of autism?

damn you're actually right. my still isn't as instantaneous as his though.

Attached: vim.gif (1362x695, 42K)

is there a way to see what plugins eat a fuckton of resources?

youtu.be/MFzDaBzBlL0?t=80
It's like saying if you've mastered a bike you can master this, but the reality is that mastering a bike makes it even harder to master this.

never forget the 12 million plugins

to me its a set of keybinds that will take over every application. but thats a good thing as Im prone to RSI, so prefer to use the keyboard over the mouse.

we gotta clean up friend.

vim has a build in profiler, but you can also just disable tern and whatever other tools you use that spin up both python and node.js because you should not be doing web development with vim and just use spacemacs or emacs with evil mode for that. vim is not great for having a ton of plugins its better for being a lightweight editor in the terminal while using a read IDE with vim keybindings (emacs evil mode).

Attached: aaaaaa.jpg (1138x800, 169K)

After a bit of using vanilla Emacs, I have come to the conclusion that, if your modifier keys are properly mapped, non-modal editing is better than modal editing.
Modal editing was useful on devices or keyboards without proper modifier keys, but there is no need to now.
This doesn't mean that the default Emacs keybindings themselves are better though: I'm planning on making my own keybindings. I'm currently using a version of Vi keybindings (because remember: Vim didn't invent them, that's Vi) which isn't modal, and it's very good so far.

Duckduckgoed is that like fucking term now or what?

You're confusing that with emacs.

Attached: aight2.jpg (600x369, 30K)

Ok, after using the built-in vim profile, I've concluded that github.com/vim-airline/vim-airline
is terrible. it's the one slowing everything down. killed it and everything became much faster. thanks.

use these instead
github.com/itchyny/lightline.vim.git
github.com/mgee/lightline-bufferline.git