/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

ds edition

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires BIOS chip de-soldering), T400(s), T500, W500 (works with igpu, no DP).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
>[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: W701ds (2).jpg (2560x1920, 746K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27254/intel-core-2-duo-processor-t5600-2m-cache-1-83-ghz-667-mhz-fsb.html
aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Bios-Board-MX25L6405-W25Q64-USB-Programmer-LCD-Burner-CH341A-Progammer-For-24-25-Series/32283031779.html
aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Programmer-Testing-Clip-SOIC-8-SOIC8-DIP8/32394998027.html
aliexpress.com/item/Dupont-Jumper-wire-10CM-20CM-30CM-Male-to-Male-Female-to-Male-Female-to-Female-Jumper/32962785036.html
chucknemeth.com/flash-lenovo-x200-libreboot/
amazon.com/Samsung-memory-PC3L-12800-1600MHz-laptops/dp/B00KEAEX54/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ram&qid=1557432519&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:677429011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2253866011&rnid=2057428011&s=pc&sr=1-5
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have a T460p with shitty ass keys. Where can i find replacement parts and keyboard. Specifically which other thinkpad parts will fit it??

how much would T70 cost, pre-assembled?
is that even available?

Will the motherboard SIM reader work if I upgrade my x120e's 3G mPCIe card to a 4G one?

A lot, if you can even find it. You probably hate facebook like everyone else here but there's a seller named Lcdfans on fb who sells batches of T70s that I believe he mods himself. Right now he's selling x210's fitted with i5-8250U and some other shit

What's the difference between T and L models?

>Lenovo Thinkpad L430 - Intel Core i5 3320M - 8GB - 240GB SSD for € 259,00
>Lenovo Thinkpad T430 - Intel Core i5 3320M - 8GB - 240GB SSD for € 280,00

L series is the budget models with plastic body and slightly worse specs

I need a recommendation for a thinkpad
Yesterday my doggo sent my beloved t420 to the floor, so I need a new one

I wont play games on it.
I'll run linux (obviously)
I'd like it to have a ~14/15" full HD screen (pls no touch screen)
Preferably light
No DVD scheibe
More powerfull than my 12 GB ram / 2520M cpu (I need to use multiple docker containers for work)

Attached: 35651567024_09f7a70224_m.jpg (240x160, 20K)

Any T4X0 model ?

thnkpad t460 with 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 6th gen i5, 1080p display in pristine physical condition for 400 euros?
take into account that I'm in Serbia and we're lucky if we get any thinkpads at all

will be used for computer science studies and learning about linux and computers in general because I use muh desktop for gayming

Does anyone here actually own newer thinkpads like t480, x1c? How are they?

How much do these things cost in general?

Fair price for those specs for europoor land.
Is good enough for your use case.

T450 is what you need. my brother just got one for like 170, it's very nice. ebay listings may only give you 8gb ram but it has 2 slots for you to bring it up to 8gb*2=16. it's very light for a thinkpad. make sure you don't get the 450**S** version cuz that one i believe only has one ram slot and i'm pretty sure it's soldered. the processor is definitely better too

try going back a previous generation, T450, and see if you can get that one any cheaper.
you mean thinkpads in general? cheap as fuck, they can go under 200 bucks for

nah, no thinkpad t450 here
thanks, will check it out on Saturday

I meant those custom thinkpads(t70, x210), the seller doesnt mention prices on facebook

oh uhhhh i read one or two articles a while back saying they can get between 500-700 depending on who's building them and what exactly the hardware is. I googled looking for a T70 to find one for sale and see prices, maybe an hour or two ago, and I found nothing. I think it might actually just be a single guy (Lcdfans) who does them!

Looks nice I think I'll go for than one. Cheers!

this is so fucking sick

Someone redpill me on the tablets vs laptops pls

Price seems fair. A T450 with similar specs but 8gb ram costs €499 here.

I'm using a FHD touch version of Dell latitude E5270. Recently, I was able to try the 1366x768 TN version of this same laptop and holy shit it was awful. I'm only using it for 30 mins and I'm already getting a headache and had to stop. Are the 1366x768 TN versions of thinkpads like this as well? How's the FHD version?

>finally ordered 16gb of ram and a caddy for my homelab t420
Took me a while to take the plunge, but now I can finally launch 2 or 3 vm's more. Maybe now I can practice setting up an exchange server for once

Why does my x220 keep turning off while I'm installing arch

I just received a x230. Loaded with Windows 8.1
Should I just revert back to 7 For ease of use or just wipe the whole thing and start with linux?
The main use is word processing and some minor media use. Nothing special.

x220 or x250? Both are similar price. Is the x220 worth it for the keyboard alone?

Why the fuck do people like you ask these stupid questions, like every thread there's at least 3 questions like this one about "what os should i use eeeeeee".
Just use whatever OS you fucking want that is x86_64 compatible, we aren't your mommy or your employer.

Because I'm interested in your opinion babe

How's it possible that performance on my w520 is like 4 times shittier when I use the dedicated Quadro 1000M card than with intel graphics?
The nouveau driver should be fine according to this feature chart nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
I installed the firmware and the DDX driver and checked if my user is in the video group.
I checked if its using direct rendering with glxinfo and in Xorg.0.log, and everything's good except game performance.
Fucking supertuxkart runs fucking smoothly with intel graphics but drops to like 10 fps with nouveau.
Xonotic and games in wine all run shittier.

Attached: 1440129507478.png (400x363, 73K)

How does my opinion matter, take this shit to /sqt/ and fuck off.

my cpu is locked at 1ghz since using a 65watt charger instead of 90watt, is it worth it getting a 90watt charger for the extra core clock?

Attached: neofetch.png (801x554, 78K)

Jesus christ man use whatever the fuck you want

Attached: He's_right_you_know.jpg (800x598, 73K)

This board is a circle jerk of people shilling their opinions. The moment someone asks for their opinion, y'all shit yourself.

Attached: x3c38gr5w3vz.jpg (500x357, 14K)

You gain .83 GHz more if you do so
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27254/intel-core-2-duo-processor-t5600-2m-cache-1-83-ghz-667-mhz-fsb.html
Why don't you upgrade your CPU to a T7800?

Given your use case, I'd suggest Debian. The desktop environment is entirely your choice but I recommend LXDE or Xfce
That, or grab L/Xubuntu if you really want a braindead easy installation (not that Debian is hard to install anymore, mind you, although it might ask for firmware for your WiFi card) and don't mind a little bit of bloat from Canonical & Co. (that can be easily removed, anyways)

that looks autistic

I got the t70 motherboard through lcdfans with a 7820hq for around $625. With a new screen, an nvme SSD, and bunch of ram, it came out to around $1000.

The fan controller broke and released magic smoke about 6 months later (fixed by jumping the fan's 5V to the usb 5V), the bios doesn't support resuming from sleep, or advanced power control, so the battery life is shit, only a few hours with the 9-cell. Overall I'd consider it a solid purchase as a mobile desktop. 4:3 is useful and aesthetic.

Who has the X1 Extreme?

Pls suggest a good tutorial for revelling 29+ pls no bulli

I like your suggested Debain route (probably going to be my choice). This wont be my primary use computer anyways. Something lightweight and solely used for work.
Thanks for your input

I bought a x220 i7 model with an IPS screen and fingerprint reader for $400. Good deal or no?

I plan to install an aftermarket 1TB SSD and 16GB of memory when I find some on sale.

I need it for a work machine because I'm starting a teaching gig soon and I can't haul my 8lb gaming laptop everywhere with me.

>Good deal or no?
heck no

everything under $300 has a shit TN screen with an i5 though

are there no IPS panels compatible with T/W530? I've searched everywhere (aliexpress, dhgate, ebay) for a 15 inch 40 pin LVDS IPS and have found none.

Attached: aputhinkpad.jpg (1000x800, 301K)

Sup Jow Forums, anybody done replacing screen on X1Carbon (1st Gen) ? Can you give me some idea how much hassle it's gonna be compared to swapping it on T420 (which I've done before, it's ez).
I can get one for cheap (~150ish €) but the screen is a little fucked, working but with artifacts, so I'd rather put there a new one right away, but obviously don't wanna fuck up the whole thing.

Attached: worry.gif (450x600, 72K)

Hey guys, what the hell can I replace the card reader slot with? It just stands without anything and I have no good ideas in this matter. Any good ones or projects I could do to upgrade the x230? Planning on getting an IPS screen and msata as well. What are your opinions on those? Thanks in advance.

I'm sitting at my local crowded Starbucks and almost everyone is using a ThinkPad. There's even some girl next to me using a ThinkPad with AMD stickers on it, is this new? What's going on?

Attached: Untitled-2.png (640x360, 16K)

It looks like I'll be spending 400~ for a w540 or simillar. Can these little laptops render video? What operations push their limits? When they die, what's generally the issue?

The Starbucks in question is probably located near one or more businesses that issue Thinkpads to employees.

no its a suburb in the East Bay, far away from Silicon Valley or even SF for that matter

I have x220 with Polion li-on battery
Is it better for battery to keep my x220 on cherger whenever it is possible or charge the battery only when it is almost completely discharged?

Attached: 1144692945661364.jpg (843x1124, 88K)

also I disconnect the battery when it is fully charged and use my x220 on charger

pls respont

Attached: plsbepatient.jpg (512x512, 156K)

Why the fuck is Thinkpad a thing when there is this thing?

Attached: toughbook.jpg (584x389, 53K)

I'm planning on upgrading the panel on my X240 to the FHD one. Right now I'm looking where to buy one and Aliexpress seems to be the cheapest by far. Has anyone here ordered any panels from there before? I'm not sure if I trust it to survive shipping.

Thinking about buying me a light ThinkPad, using the T420 yet. Which x-model has the best price-quality ratio?

isn't it?

Attached: W701ds.jpg (1600x1380, 334K)

he says on Jow Forumstpg/

Hewwo /tpg/

Attached: owo.jpg (4032x2440, 2.77M)

I fucking HATE looking for used laptops through local ads like craigslist letgo and other shit. My first buy was on Ebay but is there anywhere else you guys buy yours?

Attached: 65432830988.png (875x605, 464K)

Man, I really want a W700/1ds but I can't be arsed to shell out 500$+ for one and risk FuckEx or Oops totalling it on the way
This was posted already on another thread as a weak bait. Do you want buying advice or are you just fishing for (You)s?

I pilfer them at the office.

What a decent price for a legit W530 1080p panel in Bongistan? Seems like every listing is 'compatible' or shit like that, is it worth the risk getting something from China?

A T420 costs how much!?

100-ish, more if it already got SSD/caddy/1080p screen mod

t440s for 200$ yes or naw? budget isn't a matter for but i'm looking for an ultra portable laptop since I do a lot of work at school with it

how far do you like your t440s? is it the best think pad for general use in your opinion? I'm looking to buy my first ever think pad

>buy used x200
>get a new ssd
>can't load OS from flash drive because BIOS is password protected
>try CMOS reset
>try security chip short
>neither work
>date and time error 0271
>install linux on the ssd on my desktop and transfer it back to the x200
>date and time error 0271
>enter password:

Seriously fuck this. How do you weebos get past this fucking security shit. I'm about to send it off to get librebooted, but fucking christ I would rather not pay more than I paid for the laptop to get someone to fix it.
>pls help

Attached: Pratt Kansas 1911.jpg (800x634, 112K)

>send it off to get librebooted
user don't you have a raspberry pi just sitting in a drawer somewhere?

n-n-nnno senpai.

Why does Lenovo sell a 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC SoDIMM for $610? What the fuck is this extortion?

Is it really that retarded to get a new thinkpad? I have my own business so can claim back VAT, so essentially I can buy one with a 20% discount and also claim it as a biz expense. I can't really see a reason to buy an old device that probably has some crusty jizz stains on it.

Leaning towards a t580, want a 15 inch screen that I can use for a good few years. Feel free to call me a brainlet and explain in vivid detail why I'm wrong.

Things that kill batteries longevity;
>using it
>constantly keeping it at 100% charge
>completely depleting it

Ideal conditions for long-term storage of a battery;
>40%~ charge, humid, 70-80F
The charge and longevity will still deplete over time.

If you want to use the battery life but don't need 100% of it then set your charging thresholds to something like 85-90% or whatever suits your needs. This can be done either through Lenovo's software on Windows or TLP on Linux. But also keep in mind that running it down to 0% will be bad for it.

If you basically treat the battery as a UPS, back-up power for your computer then you would want to keep it at around 40%. Enough time to stop and save whatever you're doing and go to where ever there is power.

Apple charges $600 for 1tb SSD's lol
(and then $1200 for 2tb, $3000 for 4tb)

I love my T480
Do it if you want to, they're still good machines.

buy these:
>aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Bios-Board-MX25L6405-W25Q64-USB-Programmer-LCD-Burner-CH341A-Progammer-For-24-25-Series/32283031779.html
>aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Programmer-Testing-Clip-SOIC-8-SOIC8-DIP8/32394998027.html
>aliexpress.com/item/Dupont-Jumper-wire-10CM-20CM-30CM-Male-to-Male-Female-to-Male-Female-to-Female-Jumper/32962785036.html
and follow this guide
chucknemeth.com/flash-lenovo-x200-libreboot/

Attached: chadpad.jpg (758x644, 64K)

Thanks user, but I have a x200t which i've read can be a little more tricky. I know its possible, but idk if I want to deal with it.

just do the research then, it's work but it's worth it especially if you want to modify anything after the initial flash

It's pretty good desu, I'm using it as my daily driver for uni and general use. With a new 68+ cell and the internal battery I get about 16h of uni / programming time under gnu/linux.
If possible get one with the full hd screen and upgrade the touchpad for max comf

Attached: 1523393238376.gif (500x665, 1.23M)

Where's the cheap 8gb ddr3 ram? Cheapest I've found so far is amazon but i wanna see if i can get something cheaper used.

amazon.com/Samsung-memory-PC3L-12800-1600MHz-laptops/dp/B00KEAEX54/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ram&qid=1557432519&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:677429011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2253866011&rnid=2057428011&s=pc&sr=1-5

>but it's worth it especially if you want to modify anything after the initial flash
What do you mean by this?

Someone on ebay has very good reviews and it only costs 55$ USD + a new wifi card. A raspberry pi + all the other requires things is almost that same amount.

>disassembling X200
>go to pull wifi antenna cable
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: AAAAAAA.png (739x835, 867K)

Fuck those mini sma bastards or whatever they are

Now you got good reason to upgrade it to AC one.

Attached: 1547681179994.jpg (4032x3024, 1.24M)

Say I wanted to be a complete turbo weeb autist and swap my T430 US keyboard out with a Japanese one
Would there be any complications?

Hi and welcome to another exciting episode of my personal blog.
>Scrape together the money
>Got a replacement T420 motherboard
>It gets in a day early
>Dismantle my entire fucking laptop
>Cannibalize the heatsink, power plug, and keyboard
>Plug the old screen in
>It works
>Plug the new screen in
>It works
>It was the board connector the whole time
Bonus points:
>Get ready to install Winshit to update the bios
>Search for the exes in advance so I don't have to install drivers
>Second result is an ISO instead of the exes
>Download it
>Burn it to a CD
>Throw the DVD drive back in
>Update my BIOS and EC without having to touch windows again
Fuck Pajeets and Fuck Zoomers. Now I get to compile and install coreboot. Again.

Attached: 1549651570247.png (390x630, 294K)

eBay
Shit, son
On the bright side, that's a good excuse to upgrade your card

Any recommended cards?
This x200 is the one from a few threads ago that smells like a dairy barn, hence why I am disassembling it.

Is 170 euros for a x230 ok?

>250$
Lenovo Thinkpad x220
5 8Gb RAM 160GB SSD.
2 batteries
3 chargers
Dock Station
Mouse and keyboard (Lenovo)

Good or bad?

I wish lenovo would support more devices w/ fwupd.
Anyone know of a reputable ebay seller i can purchase an oem AUO/LG screen for my t440s?

Thoughts on the e540?

Alright Jow Forumsros, I just bought my first thinkpad, a T43 for like 20 bucks. What should I do with it first?

>Apple charges $600 for 1tb SSD's lol
>(and then $1200 for 2tb, $3000 for 4tb)
Holy fuck
Does any other company sell these? Preferably for a reasonable price

Just get an Atheros card, they're way better.

Whats the difference between the T4X0 and T4X0s models?

T4*0s models are slimmer and usually have slightly worse specs (battery life, ULV CPU, soldered RAM...)

Because one line's for businesses and the other line's for police, firefighters, etc.

the T450s seems to have a better screen than the T450 tho