Light bulb technology

So what is/was peak light bulb technology? What do you deem the most important qualities in a bulb or the best type? Do stuff like blue light, CRI, flicker rate, and color temp impact you in a big way?
Also, what's the consensus on smart bulbs, is Philips, Xiaomi, or some other brand a better get?

Attached: 5525E99D-4D38-4A22-A309-A9B9B9D78187.png (1024x534, 374K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s?k=edison incandescent bulb&crid=2AF5W3Q6WF0CS
bbc.com/future/story/20190122-can-blue-lights-prevent-suicide-at-train-stations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant#White_points_of_standard_illuminants
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just buy some warm-coloured LEDs. There is no need to get too autistic about these things.

I like the Edison-styled LEDs in a super-warm color, but only when it's behind a some sort of barrier or shade that is at least translucent. They still don't look as good as old-fashioned edison bulbs when exposed (though I grit my teeth with the lightbulb over the kitchen sink, just because it's on 24 hours per day.

If I want pure white light, what should I buy?

>Casell LED
>Instant turn on

for me, its the incandescent

Obviously Jow Forums loves incandescents, but for us burgers and those in countries that banned them, what's the best alternative to mock it?

They aren't banned in the US if you're going for edison style.

amazon.com/s?k=edison incandescent bulb&crid=2AF5W3Q6WF0CS

It would depend on the colors in your proximity. Also your furniture and stuff and which would look the best. Also the environment.
7,500 LUX 10,000 LUX white light therapy.
>I would say Warm or Natural Casell
But if you you dont mind about price go for clear glass Incandescent since it looks the best (Muh uuuuhhstethics)
>I cant stand cool lights they look like shit in small spaces. Especially if the floor doesn't relect the cool light. So if you own an arena, museum, etc. Dont get them.

Attached: B0C07896-C831-4526-B079-FC022B4D66B2.jpg (160x144, 8K)

Oh and if you want that shitty white tinted light go for the "cool" white.

it's a fucking lightbulb

pick a random led bulb and go back to worrying about what brand of toilet paper you use

>Its just light man
>Everything is so simple dued

Attached: 6D26F10E-9177-49C6-B681-537ECA21CA4C.gif (511x512, 105K)

I like these, but they tend to die very fast.

Attached: a19-led-filament-bulb.jpg (800x800, 132K)

this casell thing is just one company or does the tech gimmick have a generic name so that I can find it cheaper in non-us world?

filament led

>I like shit, but it's shit
What

thanks

having casell led, great to work with.

Maybe don't buy cheap bulbs if you want a cheap bulb that would most likely work go for the traditional led.

>Do stuff like blue light, CRI, flicker rate, and color temp impact you in a big way?
Flicker fucks my eyes up big time. I also fucking hate monitors that use PWM to adjust brightness. I built a DIY "flicker detector" from one of those garden solar lights (I took the solar panel out, then soldered it to a 3.5 mm jack and use a program called Soundcard Oscilloscope). So I've been checking all the bulbs and various monitor displays in my household for flicker and been replacing flickering shit with non flickering ones. It has improved the quality of my life a lot. No no tired, veiny, irritated eyes.

And BTW contrary to popular belief, incandescent bulbs do flicker, often times more than flickering LEDs.

>"casell" LED
why would you ruin a nice LED bulb by not only trying to make it look like a 1920s incandescent, but also deliberately giving it that awful orangey-yellow "warm" light?

also what the fuck are they on about with "ugly design aesthetics"? It's a lightbulp, you put a fucking lampshade over it anyway.

10€ isn't that cheap. Osram isn't a random chink company either.

They come in various colors, not just "orange".
The design is so that it shines light in all directions, unlike most LEDs that have a flat panel.

>why would you ruin a nice LED bulb by not only trying to make it look like a 1920s incandescent, but also deliberately giving it that awful orangey-yellow "warm" light?
Boomers have baby duck syndrome. Because they grew up with objectively shit (look into colorimetry if you don't think this is objective) lightbulbs, they think orange/yellow is "natural" and "warm" and "relaxed" when all evidence shows that people who have white lights rather than yellow lights are less likely to jump in front of trains.
Fuck boomers.

>when all evidence shows that people who have white lights rather than yellow lights are less likely to jump in front of trains
Source?

To clarify, the reason why they come up with excuses for why yellow is good is because boomers cam't handle change.
Incandescents indeed have a wider spectral range than most LED bulbs, but it's not worth having harsh yellow dominate your view.

I thought LEDs (and modern CFLs) had a color-rendering index up around 90 these days anyway. Shit I'm not sure you can get the old crappy-CRI high-efficiency triphosphor fluoros at all anymore, even just long straight tubes to hang in a garage let you tell colors apart these days.

My parents actually hate warm lights, and are boomers. They go for "natural" white, and have my whole life. I hate it.

The coolest light I have in my house is a normal "warm white," 1600 lumen light bulb in the bathroom. I go for as warm as I can everywhere else. It's typically in the 1700k range.

bbc.com/future/story/20190122-can-blue-lights-prevent-suicide-at-train-stations
A significant but small effect.

just go with incandescents and call it a day lmao

>1700
That's so far away from D65 though.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant#White_points_of_standard_illuminants

I have 6500k square leds in my house.
In the living room 16x12W all around and in some other rooms 18w ones near the center like on the uploaded pic.
This is the future.

Attached: 20190218_171713.jpg (4032x3024, 2.37M)

I just use incandescent.

>16x12W
>200 watts for lighting up a room
>with LEDs
Nigga how big is that living room?

LED does not have full spectrum. It is light pollution.

4x6m but I wanted lots of light.

Attached: 20190509_133807.jpg (4032x3024, 2.53M)

Still seems very inefficient. Why not put some in the center?

Two birds one stone kind of thing. It was easier than a full-on fake ceiling like in the smaller rooms and there are a bunch of cables like ethernet, coax, fiber optics and speaker in the small drywall box.

Attached: 20180728_194635.jpg (4032x3024, 3.35M)

>ethernet right next to lamps and power cables

>cold and dim light
Literally bullshit.
>ugly design aesthetics
I disagree, and it's going to be inside of a lamp anyway. Even if it's not, are you really going to stare at a bright-ass light bulb to take in that "aesthetic".

Attached: mad.png (572x630, 120K)

It's S/FTP. Worst case is I'll only get 10Gbps instead of 40.
I'm more concerned about the speaker cable but haven't tested it yet.
I might need to pull a new shielded cable which will be a bitch to do but not impossible since everything is tubed.

>No cooling for the LEDs
>Driver so small it fits in the base
No shit they die very fast. I have them in displays at work, they barely last a week. These things are terrible and have horrible flicker

Led

>>Driver so small it fits in the base
There is no driver, only a rectifier

My eyes

Attached: 55E8DE1F-D6C6-47CC-87AF-442B3789A313.jpg (283x280, 29K)

Why ban incandescent when a/cs and refrigerators are not banned?

A ticket to your nearest diversity training center (sponsored by Phillips Hue).

Literally why buy anything else? No seriously.

Attached: my room.jpg (1465x4064, 419K)

Is it the same as kode with klossy

I'm buying all new bulbs for my house. Phillips/GE 9W LEDs are 60W equivalent and cheap at my local hardware store. Should I go with warm or daylight? I use incandescent and I'm kinda sick of everything in my house looking orange.

light of incandescent bulb is comparable to sun light, retard. It has nothing to do with boomers. Look at the color specter of inc bulb and led bulb. Led bulbs can't even compete. Inc bulbs also don't flicker and heat your room, which is awesome. Winterlets can't appreciate it for sure.
Public places MUST have leds at least because they don't need every day maintenance. I don't care what color is it because I don't sit here for hours or even sleep. But in my room I obviously do sit for hours and sleep, and I can tell you that led bulbs make me want to throw out of the window. My face looks ugly, everything looks too bright and cheap, I want to leave my room and on top of that this shit tends to flicker.

based schuko

Go daylight.
Or at least 4000k.

Incandescent light bulbs have always been the best light source.
They are closest to the light quality of sunlight.

However, they decided to make them all too fragile so they would only last 1000 hours. This was great when it started as it pushed innovation and drove the production price of a single bulb down to nothing. But everyone was too greedy to change this at any point, so people think of them as wasteful.
They also generate a lot of heat which is a concern when making lamps and it drives up the electricity bill in areas where they didn't need to.
Eg, street lights doesn't need to be accurate, it just needs to be enough light so people don't get killed, but there are a ton of places where you don't need color accuracy.
But for home use, the heat doesn't matter, you are heating the home anyway and you want the accuracy because it is more relaxing than the alternatives.

>he fell for the toilet paper jew

nigga got stocholm syndrome for a lite bulb

idk why but warm light makes me irritated and lose focus

>light of incandescent bulb is comparable to sun light, retard
In terms of perceived color, no. Only high-power incandescent bulbs reach a high enough color temperature to look white rather than yellow, while LED bulbs, even while having a less even spectral distribution, actually look white to the human eye. And as the human eye is what matters here (we're not growing plants or heating fish tanks under these bulbs) for most interior purposes, LEDs produce superior light.
>Inc bulbs also don't ... heat your room
Incandescent bulbs produce the most heat of any type of bulb, by being the least efficient type of bulb. This sucks.
>everything looks too bright
Get a less bright bulb then. I usually find my room to be far too dim, so I'm glad 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs exist.

>you are heating the home anyway
Not in the entire southern half of the US, no, nor any other subtropical or tropical climate. You have AC permanently on all year or else you'll boil.

Soraa makes the best leds.

I have those here at home and the light quality is 95% like an incandescent.

Soraa lightbulb is about ten times heavier than a normal led. It's what they use in art galleries and museums.

My local hardware store was selling 60W and 75W Osram incandescent bulbs for €.0.20 a piece. So I bought like a hundred.

>60W and 75W
That's too weak to be of any use.
100W inc. is the minimum required for lighting up a room.

>what is two bulbs

This.

I use 5-layer TP.
Any less and you can consider yourself a peasant.

Use daylight leds during the morning and day, use warm leds in the evening. Do NOT use daylight leds in the evening, it fucks with your melatonin production. The same reason why you should use f.lux on a PC.

>not folding a two-layer paper 3 times

I'm nocturnal and intentionally use daylight bulbs at all times of day or night.

In general you should install warmer leds, since you mostly use lights in the evening.

In general, you should install bulbs that are white so you can actually see what you're looking at rather than seeing spilled orange juice.

warn leds give cancer

Are you blind?

Are you? When I read a book printed on white paper, I expect the paper to look white.

I’m personally starting to warm to Edison bulbs
The incandescent variety is just a little too wasteful to be used full time in a bedroom or living room but you can use them in a bathroom and they would last forever since they might only be used 30min a day
The LED type has gotten decent enough to be used as a replacement, they used to flicker like hell but the drivers have gotten so much better in this regard

The sun gives cancer

If we only care about color rendering, then of course. But ther are more considerations. Looking at a white light in the evening fucks up with your sleep quality. We have not evolved to look at daylight immidiately before sleep. Unless you are doing color sensitive work in the evening (you shouldnt), its better to use warm leds (and f.lux if you are on a PC). If we want choice, adjustable hue leds are ideal, but still a bit pricey.

Yellow lightbulbs are the wrong solution, though. If you want to get sleepy while reading or using your PC, you should purchase a braille display and read in the dark.

>you should purchase a braille display and read in the dark

Attached: 1355682644512.jpg (460x276, 25K)

>adjustable hue leds are a bit pricey
>literally $20 or less for a full RGBW xiaomi LED bulb that will last for years

do you use paper plates as well because real plates are "a bit pricey"?

Just don't get no name chink. They flicker.

A sun

what are some decent warm colored leds?

>literally a single study with a confidence interval of 14-97%
basically the equivalent of saying "blue light might do something, I guess, in the particular case of train stations, but even then we're not sure"

Why would you obsess over simulating a mid day sun when most of the world goes inside at noon because it's too hot and bright