He doesn't code in Fortran

>he doesn't code in Fortran

Attached: Fortran_acs_cover.jpg (610x780, 87K)

>he does code in Fortran

fortnite is a videogame
how do you code in fortnite?

The anonymous hacker known as four tran

no idiot he's talking about the programming language 4chran

>Fortran
>FORTRANnies
OP, post pics.

Who is this "Four tran"?

he could be a systems programming language

I'm taking on my final year physics project as going through a bunch of particle physics orientated code and reimplementing it in Python with added functionality

Wish me luck anons

I did for a project.
Almost no resources but the community boomers are absolute geniuses.
I'd still choose sepple with boost over though

>Hey guys I have a great idea!
>I'm just an undergrad, but this idea is genius.
>I'll take a bunch of code on a comparable level of speed to assembly, and then reimplement all of it using an interpreted language!
>I'll even make it my senior project!
>Why has no one tried this before?

As someone who works in computational physics, I'm so fucking sick of seeing little shits like you.

Redpill me on Fortran.

Is that the one they use for cruise missile guidance systems?

Wtf did they really steal the name from Jow Forums?

Fortran is short of "Formula Translator."
It is a compiled language which is intended for use in simulating physics, chemistry, and solving large mathematical systems. It is the oldest non-assembly language. (computers were originally invented to solve hard scientific problems in wartime engineering efforts.) Fortran has been updated many times into modern day. The modern paradigm is "modular programming," a style which involves separating function definitions, implentation, and execution into small "modules." In practice this is very similar to the C "header file + source" library building system. Fortran is defined as a column major language, all multidimensional arrays are defined as being continuous-block allocated.

In terms of performance in well maintained and designed software, Fortran is exactly comparable with C. If you look up some fastest computations, Fortran and C will usually be only very slightly different in run time.

tl;dr Fortran is approx C. Similar use cases for scientific computational work.

Other than its array syntax it has nothing interesting to offer. Basically Turing tarpit at this point, not intentionally obviously.

Thank you

I wouldn't be that critical of it. It has some pretty good i/o features for reading writing datasets to a file. I would agree that many standard feature are a pain to access. Many nonstandard features in other languages are built in though.

Good luck.

You're gonna need it with such stupid ideas.

Are fortran programmers STILL pretending the norestrict keyword doesn't exist?

He only needs to import numpy, scipy and probably numba or go with one of the libraries that allows him to do parallel computing. He will be fine

I snorted

Attached: 4853AF85-9BEC-49A6-9A2A-CD0ABF1CE965.jpg (632x632, 84K)

We still use Fortran at the LHC to simulate particles collision events.

You can't always "vectorize" your loops, and numba has a fair few of limitations + it will still be slower than C.
Python works great smaller computations, but is absolutely worthless for anything computationally expensive, hence why we still use C and FORTRAN in physics.

Co-arrays. That’s something only Fortran has. If your application consist of operations on Cartesian grids, this is a pretty elegant way of coding it in Fortran. There’s nothing like it in C++.

My literal boomer dad who works for the government codes Bayesian population dynamics in Fortran.

>he codes
Nerds.