What is this meme and why is it a thing? Who gains from using this...

What is this meme and why is it a thing? Who gains from using this? I need to download and install a plugin to Ifranview to open the image and save it to another format before using it.

Attached: Untitled.png (648x209, 7K)

Everyone benefits except 4cucks

It's google pushing their own standard that nobody asked for.

Google further destroying the internet with yet another low quality "standard" for the sake of saving some server bandwidth.

>Infrajew
Found your problem.

>Who gains from using this?
Websites as they can save bandwidth and people who want lossy compression without sacrificing transparency.

Lossless WebP is actually quite good. Not as effective compression-wise as FLIF (except for digital text, which is quite weird), but it has a much better compression/speed ratio and at least there's a moderate amount of support for it.

>What is a more efficient image format?
Why are you here?

By "using" it, he means "shitposting reaction faces on 4channel.org".

You sound like a nerd. Nerd. Also fag. Fag.

Rude.

Sorry. I didn't want to be rude. Or nude. I am a comedian by nature. No need to complement. Money will do. You can patreon me.

>but it has a much better compression/speed ratio
While looking like complete fucking garbage, enjoy everything being mushy blobby messes forever.

Look at the first fucking word in the sentence. I'm talking about lossless WebP.

Your butt is lossless.

You can catch me at my world tour at places..

WE
HAVE
THIS
THREAD
EVERY
DAY

ur mom is a thread every day lol

>more efficient compression is bad!
I mean webp is not perfect, but it's definitely better than JPEG

>I mean
No you don't.

Thank you, thank you. Stop applauding, please.

>HURR I'm cool because I'm stupid and don't know anything
that doesn't work here retard nigger jew.

Imagine hating a superior image format because "umm like i have to download a plugin to view it"
This is why niggers shouldn't be allowed to read, write, vote, or use computers.

>it's definitely better than JPEG
It isn't, it looks aggressively bad.

It's certainly better than JPEG, just not enough to warrant people switching I guess.

It's google pushing their garbage formats.
Search "disable webp images" and find whatever works on your browser, if chrome you're probably out of luck except there's extensions to save as. If you compile (ungoogled) chromium yourself then its a easy fix. Edge I'm not sure since ie used registry values which could be deleted but edge is now a chromium fork. Firefox
>However, I did find that removing "image/webp" from "network.http.accept.default" in the about:config page did solve the problem.
Is supposed to work.

Sucks ass. Use a standard lossless format and be done with it. As in comes supported in any operating system made since 2001. Bandwidth is cheap now anyway. This ain't the Dial-Up era anymore. I like .tiff myself. Lossless, quality won't degrade, supported by anything made within the last 10+ years, you can use built in compression options to reduce file size yet quality don't get tossed out the window (kinda like Flac is to audio)

This. But I just use sharex to make a screenshot instead

Or just use JPEG and crank up the quality slider in Photoshop to 10 or 12

it's to crack down on people who save images and use them to post on image boards

Low quality WebP smooths over fine details like crazy and it forces chroma subsampling. That being said, high quality WebP is good enough for 99% of all people and comes at a fraction of the size of a JPEG with similar quality.

Seems like using "simple" de-noising lessens the smoothing.

Attached: ax5jq3myyp11721.jpg (4000x5000, 1.78M)