How would you improve the mos 6502 instruction set without making it completely unrealistic for its time ?

how would you improve the mos 6502 instruction set without making it completely unrealistic for its time ?

Attached: MOS_6502AD_4585_top.jpg (790x287, 21K)

>how would you improve the mos 6502 instruction set without making it completely unrealistic for its time ?
You wouldn't. Baby steps.

You're at least a positive standard deviation away from the average intelligence of this board user

what evidence do you have for this?
I just think the 6502 could have been designed a little better. Most of its "modern" for its time address modes were simply too slow for most uses.

implying anyone here has the knowledge for that

But designing it "better" would most likely mean using more transistors. Technology had and still has its limits, that's why it being "better" would've been unrealistic.

You can't improve perfection

Most people here haven't seen one outside of OP's image.

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

No instruction set change but 16 bit data bus.

the first thing in think of when i read "mos" is the Thai ladyboy

that would make life easier but now its not really an 8bit cpu though

an IORQ pin with an in and out instruction
That's nuts, are you high or something
>we should force system designers have 16bit roms in a time where 8bit roms are expensive enough and no demand for 16bit
no one would buy it

I'd make it a 64bit or 128bit bus, rest is irrelevant.

z80 more easy to use

>z80 more easy to use
Only because that's all you know.

65C816

Might be nicer to have more instructions more similar to x86 to make overall more accessible to to more users of the time and actually viable to include a section in the back of manual as a nice stepping stone for people that finished basic and want more. Although on the other hand that just extra bloat

Attached: A1_1.jpg (1800x1200, 336K)

I grew up learning only 65xx assembler and fucking Z80 is 500x easier and better.

LDA/STA ($xx), TXY, TYX, PHX, PHY, PLX, PLY

Add the HCF (Halt and Catch Fire) diagnostics instruction from the Motorola 6800 family.

Attached: 1557095044611.jpg (640x480, 23K)

cose z80 have infinity stack and dont have any special memory

6502 is nice and genius, but it not good for using with C compiler
it assembly only CPU

Kek

FORTH is ideal for those.

>no stack indexing
Don't bother

Part of the appeal for memory-mapped I/O. Yes it required additional glue logic, but nothing the 75xx's couldn't provide. Most 6502 systems were still less complex that the PC and it's compatibles. I/O instructions were one of the few things Intel actually did wrong IMO.

Cut my programming teeth with 6502 assembly on an Apple ][+ in the early 80's...

With 68000.
6502 dead and buried.

Attached: 1537379739931.png (1024x1097, 234K)

The problem is that for running UNIX, you have to have banking and on a z80 the circuit is much much cleaner than whatever hack the 6502 would have to do to pull it off (i'm talking about the 4 slot banking thing btw)