My computer science TA said nobody in the real world ever uses Vim. Is this true? Is Vim just a Jow Forums meme?

My computer science TA said nobody in the real world ever uses Vim. Is this true? Is Vim just a Jow Forums meme?

Attached: E7D25496-3906-4290-992E-1818A13ADB80.png (1358x746, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/#development-environments-and-tools
youtu.be/aWHjd-nHDL8
youtu.be/cAFjZ1gXBxc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>TA
there's your answer
all my university's professors use Emacs or Vim, and at my friend's uni it's all Vim

I've worked in the industry for 20 years now and he's a goddamned idiot.

Most people use Vim, Emacs, VS Code, or Sublime Text.

yes they use emacs instead

he is correct
non-noobs use emacs

Vim and Emacs are both heavily used at Amazon.

I use vim when I need to make a quick edit to a script on the compute cluster.

> tfw when you're actually retarded
not mentioning which one's better (not saying vim is), vim needs way more mastery so you have to be the opposite of noob to use it

vim when i need to quickly edit something in a terminal. sublime text for programming.

never needed anything else.

Friendly reminder that Vim is a text editor, not a programming environment.
>b-but i made it into an IDE with 200 shitty plugins!
Lmao.

Any IDE worth its salt will have a Vim mode anyway. But, keep supporting Ugandan kids, Vimlets.

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/#development-environments-and-tools

if stackoverflow isn't the measure of real world developers, then I don't know what the fuck is. Vim is pretty far up for developers and primary for sysadmins, so indeed it has to be "real world"

brainlets do not use Vim, your TA is a joke and you are probably retarded as well for having to consult /g for this

Yes, let's all listen to the man that is to stupid to work in industry.

Saw plenty of nerds on ICPC using vim or emacs.

no
(all western) senior consultants contracted by my last employer were very comfortable coding in vim even without being able to install extensions (banks might be the only thing in the world moving slower than governments).
Now, admittedly those guys were in their early 40s to mid 50s.

The CTO at my current job also loves hacking shit in vim, and he's somewhere in his mid 30s.

Your TA is probably a poo and/or crab in the bucket

He's wrong. Vim is everywhere in Lockheed.

Those who can't, teach.

I know someone who worked at BlackBerry and said his supervisor used vim and was a beast

Vim is virtue-signalling.

It's the same thing as guy extolling the virtues of film cameras and decrying digital ones as sacrilegious.

Same thing as electric shavers. You have guys on obscure messageboards saying that the only true way a real man can shave is with an well-sharpened axe blade or combat knife and that electric shavers are useless and gay.

Vim was good and useful back when nothing else existed. You can either spend your time doing actual programming or learning how to use a shitty code editor to impress anonymous message board people and increase your geek credentials.

Nobody at nasa uses vim.

It’s true.

>t.40yroldboomerengineer

The last company I worked every technical executive, project lead, and high-tier programmer used either Vim or Emacs.

Vim is literally just like any other tool. Replace Vim with awk or sed and listen to how dumb you sound.

He is wrong. In every IT job using vim sometimes is the easiest way to get the job done. One very common example is when you need to edit files on a server. The server is very likely to have vim or at least vi already installed. Are you going to be autistic and install emacs on every server you need to modify files on (or god forbid, download the file, open it in your shitty electron editor and upload it to the server)?

Everyone uses nano now. OpenWRT, which ships with busybox vi, well the official docs were written by a nanofag.

>Implying any who actually knows vim thinks it should be an IDE

GNU/Linux is my IDE, vim is just the text editor part, make and gcc or whatever compiler is my build environment. The terminal is my debug menu. Vim is a damn good text editor that easily fits into this paradigm.

Out of ~60 devlopers I have a contact with in my corp at least half uses vim regularly. But most people use more than one editor + some kind of IDE anyway.

We're having vim plugin for FA and it is being one of the most updated "side semi official tool" here

NSA uses VS Code because it's the superior option

based retards

depends
Vim is god-tier for C/C++ development

Yeah that's bullshit.
I took a big data class and we had to SSH into servers to use Hive and Spark, and we had to use vim on the server.

Your TA is retarded. Go to any software company and you will find many people using Vim (or Emacs+Evil).

no the NSA uses VS Code so they can spy on eachother, VS Code is botnet

People at NASA don't use vim because they created their own tools or editors for their jobs

Jblow uses emacs and is fast as fuck. I think Vim is a good solution for some but built in syntax correction and debugging in VScode is really useful.

youtu.be/aWHjd-nHDL8

>IDE
Hello pajeet.

Nah, the rough distribution is 60% IDE, 30% Vim, 10% Emacs. It roughly follows the standard distribution of IQ: IDE are mediocre/average, Vim are smarter, Emacs are smartest.

This is correlation not causation so just using Emacs won't make you smarter, but smarter people are more likely to pick Emacs.

>this is your brain on autism

Hello, NEET. What do your "coworkers" (i.e. people that post on the desktop thread) think of your epic Arch Linux rice?

>this is your brain on Windows

Everything is a botnet

more like your brain on poo

your computer science ta has never been in the real world.
i use vim all the time.

If they were good at what they did, they'd be in the private sector, not mooching off academia.

vscode is superior to emacs or vim.

vim is only useful for editing files remotely or sys admin. Outside of that small niche, it is a meme.

The fact is that almost nobody uses vanilla vim. They add plugin after plugin until it starts to function like vscode or atom. What's the point then?

>Vim is pretty far up for developers and primary for sysadmins, so indeed it has to be "real world"
It's also worth noting that Notepad++ is way up there too for sysadmins, and for much the same reasons - Vim is to vi what Notepad++ is to Notepad. When I was stuck in a Windows-admin gig, Notepad++ would be the first thing I installed, and now that I'm in proper devops roles I live in Vim.

>this is your brain on being employed, and not an autistic hobbyist
FTFY

I once heard my thesis advisor, a physicist working on molecular simulations, having a genuine argument with someone through the phone about vim vs emacs.

Based.

People at my workplace use Vim, Emacs, IntelliJ, Atom, VSCode

I'm a vim user but apparently with emacs you would just ssh using emacs to get a client side editor that pushes changes to the server

Yeah if you're employed using Java, PHP, and IE11 Javascript

vim is a garbage meme with garbage clipboard that does not transfer over to browser when trying to google debug your issues. you have to put a lot of energy to make it unnaturally offer intellisense and too many plugins is bloat city. don't listen to anyone else and whoever quotes me and tries to disprove me is a freetard with no life.

Attached: 2019-02-21_163254.jpg (542x721, 56K)

>nobody in the real world ever uses Vim
plenty of people use it...

youtu.be/cAFjZ1gXBxc

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-09 (4) George Hotz Programming minikeyvalue a sub 1000 line key value store (for (1582x890, 970K)

You're right, if you're too dumb to set up your clipboard you should not use Vim.

Every installation of RHEL I've ever seen has vim on it, none have emacs by default

The code editor is supposed to be a means to an end and not the other way around.

Vim sucks shit.

Besides, 99% of vim users set up their vim sessions with many plugins to make it as close as possible as vscode in terms of functionality.
What's the point of using vim if configure it to be as close as possible as other text editiors?

I use nano because I like to feel dangerous.

Attached: nastytea.png (401x393, 92K)

I know lots of people that use Vim. I even knew multiple people at my old job that used tiling window managers.

Attached: 1557391869098.jpg (200x250, 19K)

u mean im too dumb to recompile the entire fucking program and include the clipboard flag if im running it from terminal?

just to have interoperable clipboard i have to do that you're saying,

and thats just the way of life for you free tards?

>u
Fuck off, you illiterate fuck. I didn't even bother to read your trash, because I already know it's not worth my time.

ok stupid phone poster.

Ive been switching between elvis and ed for a while and can say with absolute certainty that whoever said this was either memeing or is a dipshit

Feels good being an Echads user in this day and age

sounds like a couple of based and redpilled men

I'm an engineer at a multibillion dollar corporation working on a hotly anticipated piece of hardware, and my entire team, and everyone I know uses vim, with a small minority of coworkers using emacs on the side.

>with a small minority of coworkers using emacs on the side.

the chads

Closest guy to a literal chad at work uses tmux and vim exclusively.

He spends every other month working remotely while he globetrots with his work laptop.

My prof actually knows the guy who created Vim and got me into using it. Absolutely no regrets.