/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Christmas Edition.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: santa-on-computer.jpg (1306x979, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231937
tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed-x470-pinnacle-ridge,6064-6.html
amazon.com/27-inch-FreeSync-Response-DisplayPort-MG279Q/dp/B00ZOO348C/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=1440p 144hz ips&qid=1557438578&s=gateway&sr=8-7)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Christmas Edition
wat

Why did some user say Ryzen can't do above 80fps in gaming? I have a bone stock first gen Ryzen paired with a 2080Ti that easily does 140+ fps in WoW at 1440p. Same with stuff like Overwatch, Apex Legends, CoD, DOOM. I'm honestly curious. Granted I have CL14 3200MHz memory. But my buddy's PC with CL16 non B-DIE isn't far behind

Should I get a 2060 or vega 56? Prices are so close, I'm conflicted

Vega 64 is slightly worse than the 2060 on average, let alone vega 56.

>2080Ti
>1440p
>lightweight gayms

of it can then but so could a 3770k lmao

lol fuck off no it isn't

>DOOM & CoD
>Lightweight
Lol no. Shit, WoW is known for being an unoptimized mess based in an ancient engine that prefers single core, and it still powers that perfectly.

Vega 64 pulls ahead by a whopping 1% on average at 1440p.

Vega 56 is clearly behind the 2060.

Attached: 2019-05-09 12_50_08.png (1008x831, 182K)

>nvidia powerup
>comparing against gimped blower models
>still clearly not "slightly worse on average"

it's 1% worse at 1080p and 1% better at 1440p

And again, the original poster was asking about V56 vs 2060, NOT the V64.

Stop being a fucking AMD shill jesus christ.

oh no no no, should i even mention vega is heavily underclocked?

Attached: stock vega.png (630x442, 36K)

>pointing out obvious bullshit
>being a shill
Pick ONE

When will the next generation of GPUs be released?
In other words How long do you think my RTX 2070 will remain a (relatively) top of the line GPU?

>oh no no Vega is bad
>should i even mention vega is heavily underclocked?

Attached: IMG_1277.jpg (500x500, 25K)

-

Navi is coming """soon""" but probably won't top the charts in performance. Nvidia could honestly rest on their lineup for a good few years before needing a new generation to compete. Intel supposedly has a GPU coming but details are scarce. Last I saw was like 2021 or so. The 2070 will be a high-end GPU for several years. Games are probably going to outpace it before GPUs do in my opinion.

how it is bad when 300$ card running below its capabilities is 4fps behind 350+$ card? few days ago we got memory tweaking tools for HBM2, this alone gave me 3-4fps in UE4(shit engine for amd) and i have hynix

Lmao so AMD specifically gimps their GPUs for no reason besides they want to shit on their customers?
lovely disposition for a company to have.

>underclocked so it OCes better
>overvolted so you can "save energy"
>memory is such a hassle it might be actually flashed to higher standards, but no easy setup for it
>so dependant on APIs and special snowflake driver changes its expected to become better with time
>all these benchmarks are either cherry picked, outdated or ignore the game user actually plays
>you can actually flash the bios of recent cards into outdated cards to make them work better SOMEHOW
the more we talk of AMD GPU the worse i fear for navi. i would actually like for navi to be sucessful but at this point it might just be pixie dust

at this point it might be best just to look at price performance and only reccoment AMD GPU if a discount happens

the GPU we knew of from novidya was the 1650. the only other rumor missing is a 7.5gb 2070

>the GPU we knew of from novidya was the 1650. the only other rumor missing is a 7.5gb 2070
I swear I read somewhere there was talk of a 1680/1680ti, but I could just be making that up

nvidia wouldnt make that because it would eat their rtx market
asides the next 16xx would have to be a 1670

>should i even mention vega is heavily underclocked
Why is this a good thing for AMD?

Doesn't this just mean they're ripping you off since they aren't delivering the performance they could be?

Sure, it's great you can OC it, but not everyone will, nor should they have to.

This just seems like a shitty thing from AMD in my eyes. I'd rather have a GPU that just works at 100% all the time.

How big of an upgrade is the Ryzen 2600 over the 1600? What area of performance does the biggest difference lie? Gaming? General computer usage? VMs?

>I have a bone stock first gen Ryzen paired with a 2080Ti

found the retard

>shitty thing from AMD
why offer a 5 year warranty voided by OCing?
because everyone OCes!
even nvidia does this, so fuck this dumb market, you are just choosing your own brand of jew

But if I buy Nvida and don't OC, I get more performance than AMD without voiding the warranty.

Again, if AMD weren't jews, they'd offer the same.

Is it generally a bad idea to buy from PlatinumMicro?

Cut me some slack. I was a day one Ryzen buyer and the only Intel option at the time was the 7700k. I also only had a 980Ti then. I bought the 2080Ti and am now playing the waiting game for 7nm Ryzen. If it's shit, 9900k here I come.

Which distro does santa use?

AAAAAHHHHHH I fucking swear if amd and adored is cucking us... try meeee

Attached: Delet+_69ff3c52702315cce9131291cbe9d957.jpg (1142x704, 123K)

They've been stringing you on for 7+ months already, what's another few lies gonna hurt?

My monitor has a Freesync label, am I doomed to buy an AYYYMD gpu?

No, Freesync works on Nvidia GPUs now too (assuming it'a a 10/16xx or 20xx card.)

Why do americans get Ryzen 1600 for $80 USD but the rest of the world still had full retail prices? So fucking bullshit, I hate americans.

Isn't that only at microcenter?

Most americans don't live close to a microcenter, and since it's an in-store purchase only. You can't just order one for that price and get it shipped to you.

Attached: 2019-05-09 13_51_46.png (1746x321, 261K)

RTG always delivers late and disappoints. I expect no different with Navi.

Thoughts on this case layout?

Attached: CA186NX_150037_800x800.jpg (800x800, 88K)

I posted these last night as was told to try XMP and see what happens.

To sum up: cold boot no errors on TestMem5, play a light game (Like DragonBall Fighterz) for an hour and test and no errors. Play a heavy game (Battlefield 1) for an hour and test and I get errors.

I thought it might have been my overclock but I tested this again on XMP and still same results.

Do I really just have bad sticks then? I shouldn't memtest that badly (test 6 or 12 will cause the failures) off XMP right?

Attached: billy.png (797x863, 922K)

It might be the RAM, could also be a bad mobo or just a really bad IMC on your CPU. Hard to know for sure.

You cannot debate this.

Attached: 1512233651348.png (445x472, 191K)

For reference, I had gskill ripjaws V at 3000mhz and oc'd them just fine with tighter timings, no issues ever from those things.

I got the Team Dark Pros or whatever last week and those ones had issues because after a day or two of working perfectly fine one of them would just BSOD my system and fail to boot. So I refunded them and ordered new ones and ya now I think it crashed my game yesterday so I'm just testing to see what's up.

Just strange that these 'high quality' RAM sticks have issues, it's supposed to be Samsung B-die but man it just blows.

Know anything I could test? Or do I just use individual sticks and see what happens?

1/10 bait got me to reply

I posted this in the stupid questions thread with no luck, so i'm begrudgingly posting it here as well.

Stupid person with a stupid question, here. I've overclocked my to i7 8700k to 4.9ghz at 1.208v and it hits 72c under 100% load with a 212 evo. It doesn't crash in prime95 and the like. Is this an okay oc? Am I even doing it right? Should I up the voltage?

honestly if you still have to old kit just return the new ones for refund and go back to using it.
B-Die isn't as amazing as some claim, there are bad bins like any other ram especially now it's gone EOL they'll be clearing out the not so good stocks.

A 212 pro really isn't appropriate for an 8700k and I doubt it's really stable at that voltage.

Can you guys help me out with configuring/finding a laptop to buy ? I want to play Rainbow Six Siege and kinda similar demanding games on it but dont want a "gaming" laptop that is heavy and clunky.

The Dell XPS 15 seems like a good choice honestly, with the current offers I could get this for 1200€

>Intel® Core™ i5-8300H
>8 GB RAM
>256GB SSD
>GTX 1050 4 GB GDDR5

Worth it if I mostly want to use it for work, internet, development and occasionally playing a round of Siege with the boys ?

That's what I'm thinking of doing, I do want tighter performance on my sticks but honestly it really isn't worth the head ache at this point.

I'm just not sure they're going to give me a refund since I have a refund in process for the same kind of RAM, even though it's also fucked.

I have a USB 3.0 flash drive with some utilities, since I like the idea of being able to just unplug it and not have more shit on my drive that isn't explicitly necessary for day-to-day usage.
However, there are some instances, like loading up LibreOffice Calc (on said USB) for example, that are sluggish as all fuck. Similarly, there will be some spikes of unusability while using it, where it freezes up, and it's often times unpredictable in doing so.
Would this be alleviated with having an SSD for my boot drive, rather than a spinning rust?
Pic related is an attempt to illustrate my question. That's my main drives usage.

It's not working as advertised, they have to refund it.

anybody here using resolutions higher than 1080p?

I'm using 1440p right now on my desktop but 1080p on laptop

I suppose you're right, should I attempt to RMA it though or just full blown refund and wait until better sticks of RAM come out?

Also I tthink I'll just put my old sticks in and fiddle with them some more, should do you think I can push a 15-16-16-35 Hynex C-die 3000mhz RAM to 14-16-14-31 and 3200mhz?

If it's only been a week or two, just return it to where you bought it.

Just refund and get some hynix c-die or wait for samsung a-die.

I already have Hynix c-die, it was my old kit.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231937

This is the RAM I used before the current B-die.

What's bad is I only ordered the TDP RAM like 3 days ago and it caused BF1 to crash before and giving me errors after testing after heavy loads, just really disappointing it happened twice in a row.

Yeah just write it off as misadventure then. Your other RAM is fine.

It wasn't useless though, I did learn a lot about RAM overclocking so it was a learning experience.

Think I could push the c-die I have to 3200 though?
Should I aim for CS16 3200 or CS14 3000?

Hey, anyone knows what boards support oc for the Athlon 200GE? I read all Asus, Msi and Gigabyte does, I was wondering if others have also followed suit, there's an asrock b350 board that's way cheaper than the other ones, thanks.

what's a good mid tower case? it can only be from the following brands: nzxt, corsair, cooler master, aerocool and deepcool. Unfortunately that's all people sell around here.

Attached: 1549762826598.jpg (459x429, 39K)

they are new? low quality ram tbqh
you will need to lower the mhz and hope it can conpensate with tight ish timing

Just got them 3~ days ago.
They were giving errors after heavy loads at XMP so I'm just going to return or RMA them, I don't think RMA will work since they don't produce b-die now that I found that out.

They'll just send me another new set and it'll probably be shit so I think I'll just OC my current kit a bit more and call it a day

if they dont work as advertised you should have no issues to RMA them
at this point just keep the pics of their error message and remember to state it was after prolongued use

What a time to be a live,
now I'm only waiting for good laptops to be affordable.

Attached: poorfagpc.png (1495x602, 63K)

Yeah AMD never had that problem.
It's apparently an architecture problem with Nvidia and hardware accel.

Isn't 56 cheaper?
For 1440p Vega is a clear choice as 6Gb is going to fall off sooner.

>64 is 20% behind the 2070 according to Nvidiapowerup
>only 3.7% behind compared to computerbase.de, a reputable outlet
yeah that's not suspicious and an outlier at all

I was wondering how that's working for people. I haven't tried mine yet.

Nvidia GPUs, Pascal and later, support Freesync over displayport but not over HDMI.
However, some people have been having problems on it but not on AMD GPUs unless the monitor is "G-sync compatible".

>Thoughts on this case layout?
Don't like it.

Like the other user said, RAM not working at advertised timings is a reason to refund it.
I have the same board, and other than the 1.4v limit, memory compat on it is fine. It should run B-die XMP at 1.35 fine. Did you try the 1 stick at a time like I said? Because it's rare that both sticks are faulty and it'd show you that that's the problem.
I'd still test this out as it's more likely to isolate whether it's the board or RAM. But it's probably the RAM.

Not sure but why not go with MSI? They make fine boards.

Other than the PSU being 1/4th your budget, that's a pretty based poorfag build.
Why don't you get a case which has a 175W or higher PSU included?

Attached: firefox_2019-05-06_08-46-47.png (954x563, 60K)

HAF XB EVO

why even bother with a real PSU? Just get a pico PSU brick, more than enough for a 200GE.

It's quite possible to get 3200C14 out of it. Though 3400C16 is more likely.

What is your limit on what you'd spend on a case?

glass panel is a no for me chief, plus it has low amount of space for radiators

Which of those 3 options would perform the best then?

>Like the other user said, RAM not working at advertised timings is a reason to refund it.
I tested my old RAM at OC'd timings and it didn't error, finding out which stick it is just doesn't seem worth it when I know it's not my motherboard.

really depends. if i have space requirements it makes sense it costs something close to 150 usd
if i need shit like way too much storage id expect it to cost 100 because its kinda hard to find a case that has for instance space for 6 HDDs and some SSDs

fuck glass cases, they are expensive at the benefit of nothing. a good mesh case wont go above 75 and still give a pretty good space+windows for RGB

tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed-x470-pinnacle-ridge,6064-6.html
Not much difference really, just go with whichever is easiest to hit on your kit.

Can I use my 2700X with no thermal paste over the weekend? As far as I know, it only breaks the warranty if I use the cpu without a heatsink. I'll still be using the Wraith Prism stock cooler just naked.
Can I damage the cpu like this? I'll hold off on modern games if I have to.

Also as an aside, does it matter what kind of microfibre cloth I use to wipe a cpu or motherboard with?

Ya guess I'll just have to take a crack at it, but I'll RMA my RAM tomorrow and just get a refund, it's not worth testing what exactly is fucked here

unironically, use mustard.

>with no thermal paste over the weekend
yes
for about 20 minutes of facebook use, then i can tell you the RMA will be denied because this was a dumb idea to begin with

>what kind of microfibre cloth
no difference at all as long as its spotless. use isopropil alcohol because it will simply evaporate and keep it spotless

DELL S2716DG paired with RTX 2070 for 1440p@144hz any good?
Someone here said G Sync sucks so I'm not sure right now.

I could get it for 390€ instead of 490€, so I'd love to get it if it makes sense.

tn panel on that price is a no for me

I know but after reading reviews people still praise it a bunch, especially the fags on pcpartpicker.
Not sure what "setting up" the monitor means but apparently that's what makes it not suck.

TN has very narrow view range the setting up is literally the installation on a angle thats confortable for you
might plan some extra for one of those mobile wall mounts that allow for all sort of inclinations

Why did you remove the paste that's already on the heatisnk?

Ok fuck that I'm sometimes half asleep in my chair, I'm not gonna sit in the same position all the time, thanks man.

Do you have a recommendation for 1440p 144hz monitor? IPS is the way to go I suppose.

the fractal design r6

Still waiting for the cheap 27" 1440p monitor recc

Attached: 1525964643829.gif (500x500, 242K)

I fucked up installing the first time.
Thanks.

this is like unicorn sightings. you gotta watch for it, look for that one sale that might do it for you.

theres just so much options that are either overpriced or bad like TN or high refresh delay that at some point you gotta find what works for your budget.

its not even friday yet, theres no reason to not run over any microcenter and buy a smol application of it

How do you know it's not the board if you had 2 sets of B-die that weren't running as advertised?

And which kit of B-die you get shouldn't matter too much. They're the same memory dies. Like Team Group is generally fine which it sounds like you had before.

That monitor is such a dumb meme holy shit.
Try and figure out if that LG 850 series VA can run anti-blur with freesync enabled. I've heard conflicting things.
>pcpptards and reddit swears by it
because they haven't seen an actual good monitor.
>2070 for 1440p
Only worth it if you get A-die and you're going to seriously overclock it. The price:performance stock is terrible.

The PC will shut itself off before it damages anything so it's fine.
You should be using isopropil alcohol to wipe. 80% iirc.

Acer V277U is $225.

Attached: LG-32GK850G-blur-144Hz.png (1800x800, 605K)

>And which kit of B-die you get shouldn't matter too much. They're the same memory dies. Like Team Group is generally fine which it sounds like you had before.

There is also like 30% failure rate on these sticks so it's not out of the realm of possibility I got slapped with them, and it's a bit weird my Hynix C-die sticks work 100% in all situations even OC'd

>The price:performance stock is terrible.
really sad to say this but i will, because theres so many not triple A games that are good and light, a 2070 can reach 120 FPS in a lot of games
im considering this setup as well. slight futureproofed, improvements all around my library and still the possibility of playing new games at 1440p70 or so.

at some point i noticed i had no need for a upgrade because the games im looking foward to turned out to be shit. nvidia and amd will die thanks to EA and activision.

>which kit of B-die you get shouldn't matter too much. They're the same memory dies
No, they are binned and have a range of quality like any other memory.

>A-die
>B-die
>C-die
is there a D die?
can someone explain to me how this works and why it's so important for Ryzen?

nobody sells fractal design here

Oh my god why are you doing this to me, I've been looking for 5 weeks now sitting on my money while I play with my shitty GTX 960.

Yesterday I came to the conclusion that if I am not buying a 2080 or 2080ti my best option is either RTX 2070, Vega 64 or the Radeon VII at which point I am forking over more money than I planned and then I might as well go for the RTX 2080.
I'm gonna suck your dick if you can find me the GPU that is not the 2080 or ti so I can play 1440p@144.
I don't even need to lock out or be close to 144 fps, I just want an enjoyable experience at 1440p. I have had a 144hz monitor for so long now I cannot ever go back to 60hz.

I'm serious though, I'll paypal money to whoever ends this witchhunt for me.

if navi turns out to be out of your liking, nvidia should release a 2070ti
wait till the end of computex. maybe your solution will come soon

>going to get 7000k
>decided to wait
>going to get 1700x
>decided to wait
>going to get 8700k
>decided to wait
>going to get 2700x
>decided to wait
>going to get 9900k
>decided to wait
One of these days I swear I will make up my mind.

Attached: 1519029466861.jpg (639x739, 101K)

Not him but how's the airflow on it? Last time I was parts shopping was during the big case big open fans meme, so all the closed off front panels look like shit for cooling.

I have the freesync version of that monitor(works with nvidia graphics cards because it's g-sync compatible). and i also have an rtx 2070. It's pretty good, colors are pretty good for a tn panel(according to tom's hardware and me) and viewing angles aren't too bad. the only thing i don't like about it are its not so good blacks.
The cheapest monitor in that price range that has ips, 1440p and 144hz is $400, and it's fairly unrealiable. so i'd go looking around for something like this if you really want ips(amazon.com/27-inch-FreeSync-Response-DisplayPort-MG279Q/dp/B00ZOO348C/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=1440p 144hz ips&qid=1557438578&s=gateway&sr=8-7)

>really sad to say this but i will, because theres so many not triple A games that are good and light, a 2070 can reach 120 FPS in a lot of games
Vega 64 is 96% the same performance for over $100 cheaper, though.
So you can still get 115fps in those games.
RTX 2070 was too expensive on launch, and still is. It's barely better than a 1080 yet launched for $100-$200 more money bepending if A-die or not.
Again, 2070 is fine AS LONG AS you get an A-die model and you're going to OC it.
The difference between non-a-die stock(the ASUS Turbo), non-a-die overclocked, and a-die overclocked(ASUS Strix) is massive.
A-die overclocked is like 90% the performance as a 2080 for $150 cheaper, and without having to overspend too much for the comparably small amount of VRAM.
But a shitty non-a-die card is over $100 more expensive than Vega64 while performing virtually the same.

So it's either spend $400 for Vega 64, which is really $350 if you sell the games, and you average 60-66fps over those games computerbase.de tested
Or You spend ~$600 for another 11% performance over the less than $400 card.

Personally I don't think over 50% more money is worth 11% performance and I'd get the Vega 64 before it's no longer on sale. But at least that's better than overspending even more for the shittier 2080s.

No, but there is AFR and M-Die, depending on the manufacturer.
>can someone explain to me how this works and why it's so important for Ryzen?
It matters for all CPUs. Intel buyers are just more commonly ignorant and assume their thrown together system works as well as benchmarks with tweaked memory timings when it does not while more Ryzen buyers are less technology ignorant and tweak to get more out of their system.

Attached: YIpOetz.jpg (605x671, 65K)

I know I'd hate myself if I got the TN panel, but thank you man.

How is the Acer Nitro VG1 VG271UP? Or the Acer Nitro VG0 VG270UP, they look the same to me desu.They are fairly cheap at 350€ and I see nothing bad about them.
IPS panel, 144hz, Free sync, 1440p

Yeah.
These are the current common RAM types on the market.

Attached: rams.png (135x258, 5K)