Why was Perl abandoned and why did everyone move to Python?

When I was a sysadmin Perl was it.

Attached: 51lL-Lyb97L._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (381x499, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/CgpPGtv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

write once read never :^)

Perl was a trailblazer but it has a lot of baggage from being around so long.
Python is more beginner friendly. It also rigidly enforces coding style so it's easier to code review and contribute to large projects with.

Because "bUt gO0gLe uSe pYtHon sO it MuSt bE goOd" mentality took pajeets by storm in the early 2000's and now most new programmers have autism from being forced to learn it.

Attached: 1556464663134s.jpg (250x222, 4K)

Dev time is faster in Python and there's a package for whatever bullshit thing I need to do. Python dev for me is mostly glueing pieces of already written code while in Perl I had to do a lot more heavy lifting.

Perl is better for short, one-off scripts that nobody besides you will ever read. Python is better for larger programs that involve multiple people.
Guess which one is more common in industry.

php and later javascript became better suited for web development, python started being taught in schools

OK, OP, let's see if you, out of your head remember the syntax for passing an array of functions that each return a number to a function, executing them and adding the results to a new array that you also return and iterate over. Without looking anything up.
In the likely case you forgot the syntax, you have your answer. It's not necessarily a pain to read, but a pain to remember.
>Python is better for larger programs that involve multiple people.
Doesn't mean it's good or even acceptable for larger programs that involve multiple people. It can't even check for basic spelling mistakes. What a joke.

>It can't even check for basic spelling mistakes
In fact, Perl even can do better than Python, using strict.

you clearly didn't know the language very well then

Attached: Untitled.png (653x291, 106K)

Python is nicer and has more support for more advanced scripts. For basic system level scripting just using bash or powershell works faster. Perl just doesn't really have a place anymore.

>it can't even check for basic spelling mistakes.
shut the fuck up, boomer

Attached: btfo.png (426x453, 37K)

this guy knows

Perl is a fucking disaster as far as readability is concerned. Python is not an amazing language by any means, but it's a readable one, and when you're going to have a huge team of people fiddling around with the code constantly readability is one of the top priorities

>rigidly enforces coding style
>no semicolons, no braces, indentation is part of the code

Attached: 1552747902638.jpg (720x719, 32K)

>Perl is a fucking disaster as far as readability is concerned

This is true for any language where the developer doesn't follow a style guide or standard. Like Perl, Rust is a great language but can look confusing AF depending on who wrote it

Rate my perl
pastebin.com/CgpPGtv8

kek, Jow Forums doesn't even let me post it

Perl is not as bad as people are making it out to be. More than half the people trashing perl have never written more than a few lines in it.

Ruby and Python established their own niches in the 2000s. Ruby has rails for web programming, and Python has numpy, sci-kit, pandas. (Later it would get tensorflow and pytorch). What is left for Perl? There's not a reason to use it, and people don't like the weird changing sigils.

Friendly reminder: If checking happens at runtime, it's worthless, brainlet.

Attached: only_at_runtime.png (305x160, 7K)

>inb4 some worthless linters and checkers nobody uses and that can't be relied on

Why are linters worthless and unreliable? I haven't used python, but at my job we have javascript linters which are useful and reliable. They're in our build pipeline, so if anyone fails the linters, the entire build fails and we must fix the problem immediately.

That's the thing. Perl is great when you don't fuck it up, but Python can't be fucked up to begin with. A lot of programming languages are in use not because they are powerful, but because they're idiot proof

1. pylint does not run the script. It builds an AST and analyzes that.
2. literally every professional shop uses pylint, pyflake, or mypy
3. just take the L and move on, you absolute dilettante

eye cancer/10, so pretty good

Can it catch something like?
None.isdigit()

If so, what linter is it? I thought isdigit() would be able to handle NoneTypes until today, and now I'm unsure about everything and want a proper type checker

>Python
i can use it, but after perl it like eating shit rice instead of good one

Perl has a thousand ways to write any given line, which is why it is harder to read. It was designed to be easy to write.

The real killer of Perl was actually php. Php is shit in it's own way, but it replaced the primary use of perl, which was as a server-side scripting language. Php is on its way out now too, since Ruby showed how a language can be easier, and nodejs/JavaScript showed how a language could be more portable and powerful. Additionally, webassembly means that finally, serious developers might want to adopt a single compiled language that covers both server and client side for web applications.

Perl also took a hit when the Linux kernel decided to factor out all Perl scripts to improve portability and reproducibility, as well as systemd effectively killing the old Unix style of using scripting languages to manage system processes.

Based and pearly-brainfuck-pilled

Well... Yeah, it basically removes almost every source of debate and enforces a strict coding style with PEP8.

You don't waste hours debating with autistic people about brace indentation if you have no braces in the first place.

strangely pylint doesn't catch that particular error but it does catch missing attributes on other types

Attached: pylint.png (462x441, 57K)

No static typechecking is a meme.
Javascript came up with lots of workarounds, but ultimately they added static type checking back with Typescript.

Same with Python, there's now type annotations and mypy.

It took some people years to get over the delusion that getting rid of static type check is a good thing, and now we have languages with static type checking hacked on. Better to use a language that was built properly in the first place.

Only if you're reading code written by "perl monks" dickwaving about how few lines they needed. You can write perfectly readable code if you want to. It sometimes even looks like you're reading C

This

You can write perfectly readable code in any language. The question is, are you fighting the language to write readable code, where you could be using a different language to write just as readable code faster?

You can hammer in a nail with a hammer that has two claw ends, or you could use a non-retarded hammer that has a hammer end.

Attached: php.jpg (502x370, 50K)

just use the sides and learn perl

trends, and the ever rising tide of faggotry that's crept into every sphere of our experience

trenchant

You dont have to fight the language at all to write readable perl

amateur

Do have to, have to remember not to slip into dialect all the time. Natural tendency in programming is always towards idiosyncrasies (mixing the lexicon and the subject) and Perl allows that like nothing else.

phiton have to mane builid types compare to perl
and builin operations on types dont have usebul deffaults compare to perl

Attached: lintrain.jpg (1024x692, 134K)

>new programmers have autism from being forced to learn it
???????????????????

they reinvent all what avalable for perl

could you try that again with a tad more grammar?

all what avalable for perl, they reinvent

Python have too many builidin types compare to perl
and builin operations on types dont have usefull deffaults compare to perl

Attached: ESP8266OLED.jpg (1000x1000, 129K)

>executable line noise

Only if you let yourself be indoctrinated to the idiosyncracies in the first place

just use awk, it's better than perl in every way

Another thing not mentioned in this thread: Perl 6 taking forever to come out and ultimately poaching the Perl brand from Perl 5. They should have named it something else. It's a huge source of disunity in the community like the Python 2/3 divide.

but python 3 ultimately pulled ahead

Perl is more fun to code in than Python and it's not even close.

I too liked semicolons when I was a little children learning how to code. It made me feel like a hacker :)

This.

>indentation is part of the code
This grinds my gears

Attached: 1528814851545.jpg (599x510, 53K)

Pajeets are staying very far away from python because they haven't caught up to it yet. They were raised on a staple of Java, C++ and C#

>When I was a sysadmin Perl was it.
How old are you OP?
You must be such a Boomer t b h.
Wish I was born in your generation, Perl was way less bloated than what my fellow contemporaries use (NodeJS meme)

Attached: d2db880edcb3bdcf135ee1389762a59b.jpg (480x361, 23K)

because you're such an inconsistent retard?
cope harder

Perl scripts used for plumbing in system administration haven't gone away, it's only the new tools that have been written under the influence of Google and Python.
And there's always outliers such as SUSE rewriting YaST in Ruby.

>written in Python under the influence of Google and Red Hat
D'oh.

Perl sucks for OOP

Hence is not good for system building

For everything else is fucking great. I wrote a imageboard in perl and is fucking elegant

neither C nor Go have OOP yet both have been used to build very large systems