So Linux is supposed to be lightweight, right?

So Linux is supposed to be lightweight, right?
Then explain this shit, I used to use Debian on my thinkpad, but on my new laptop I am prob sticking to Windows 10 since I value battery life.
>Don't install Loonix if you actually use a laptop the way it's supposed to be used

Attached: Explain.png (593x408, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't use bloated trash.

Macbooks have the best batterylife, and the best operating system

So you think Arch will have the best battery life?
It'll prob depend on the drivers available, but honestly Linux is such a mess on that front.

If you install Arch and then a full desktop with a shitload of aervices running in the background the battery life won't be any better. Install a minimal system and learn how to optimize for battery life.

Arch is one of the most bloated distros there is.

winjeet aggressively transititons to the deepest possible c-states so if you sit around and do nothing it's good at saving power

meanwhile if you actually do productive things it's the worst due to the extra latency and net increase in power consumption that comes from frequent c-state demotion

str8 lmaooing at this gay nerd
i could optimize every last cflag, no X, headless even, and still have worse battery life than win10

So don’t use Linux

just use tlp

Install tlp, you can't save battery life if you don't have a software to do it cunt

Windows is more aggressive at saving power by default. You can tweak Linux to be better, though. A good example is wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools .

This
Also, using powertop for stats is good
If you have a gpu you don't use, use bbswitch and keep it off when you don't need it
I exceed my windows battery life well over 5 hours

>Then explain this shit
Explain what? phorotard is a jew linux.
give him money in order to vomit 100 articles per day.
I haven't read him for over 6 years, his methods are bullshit on doing benchmarks, he doesn't understand anything about optimizations, he is a inteltard that used to push hard for ubuntu and now shills intel's distro.
I don't know why you waste valuable resources for that retard's articles.

my laptop laptop had 2.5 hours of battery life on win8 (it's a lelnovo y410p from late 2013 with a 4700qm). I have a script that puts the cpu down to 800mhz and the battery life is 6 hours.
phorotard's test uses:
ubuntu-> gnome3
fedora -> gnome3
openpepe->kde (most probably)
clear -> one of the above

linux, on the hands of a power user is a powerful tool. nothing compares to it.
linux, on the hands of your average idiot, is not more than point and click windows experience.
now, fuck off back to windows and tell phorotard to go fuck himself.

There's a difference between consuming less processor time and a difference between consuming less power. They're not mutually exclusive, but Linux by default does not really do a lot to save power, but you can enable power saving features.

>phorotard is a jew linux.
I think that what I meant here was about his constant spam about money and adblocking and all this shit that get you tired from the first time you see them. anyhow, nobody cares about that fucking jew.

>clear linux
>bloated
Jow Forums ladies and gentlemen

Attached: 1552858001208.png (287x198, 98K)

the kernel enables the default governor present in the cpu.
same does for the gpu, if the driver supports it (keking at novidiots)
kde used to have power options like windows, but the disabled it. you can't touch the cpu freq or governor unless you open a terminal.
...but gnome and kde are utter shit and you shouldn't use them anyway.

yup me too, my linux battery life is around 7-8 hours. Windows does barely 4 if I don't use chrome extensively

because laptops are optimized for running Windows on hardware level

Idk why you're talking about desktop environments all of a sudden, but yes - by default it won't be aggressive in saving power like wangblows

>Idk why you're talking about desktop environments all of a sudden
I am talking about DEs because the DE is interacting with the user. on windows you have the bottom right corner where you can click the battery icon and change the profile from performance to power save or on demand.
sometimes the companies shit their shitware along with windows and have another profile for extreme power save.
on linux there's no such thing, there used to be an option on kde, up to some version of kde 4 sc, but they removed it.
If you want to change the power options on linux, you have to touch the terminal.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.