What's the best way for me to learn Emacs? Is the tutorial shit? Do I need a book on it...

What's the best way for me to learn Emacs? Is the tutorial shit? Do I need a book on it? I feel overwhelmed trying to learn all the commands. I get the basics but I'm try to learn more.

Attached: ss4.png (585x758, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html#SEC4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go through the tutorial and if you have any questions on how to do something (you WILL have) just duckduckgo it.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-11-18-48-27.png (2560x1440, 2.23M)

C-x b to switch buffers
C-x c to quit emacs
C-x k to kill a buffer
C-x 2 to split windows horizontally
C-x 3 to split windows vertically

Learn by using it, whenever you need to lookup how to cut or paste or something similar, you'll start remembering. Taking notes does something to your brain that helps to learn new things, so maybe try that too.

i just dived in and started editing texts. when i had a question, i'd bing it. RESIST copying and pasting other people's .emacs files. Learn WHY emacs does things the way it does. if that's unacceptable, read the emacs help files on how to implement the feature you want. Emacs works best on a linux machine.

>using a two-key combo plus another key to do anything at all
Just take the vimpill

Another beginner here. I do like 95% learning-by-need and 5% learning-by-should. The latter includes buffer management, dired for navigating files, helm (autocompletion that is used in many places) and shell (for easy terminal tasks).

I try to stick to the default mostly (since they are likely to carry over to packages and modes), don't want to spend days on perfecting my environment. If something occurs obscenely often, then is the time to optimize. Now is the time to learn.

Good luck user!

Check other people configuration files. Read the manual. Use apropos(-library), C-h. You don't need a book. Just add and learn things as you need them.

first of all, change your capslock key to ctrl
also make sure your Alt keys arent hijacked by your window manager
the C-h t is a very good start

Attached: 111234500042929.jpg (664x720, 98K)

just learn vim and keep your sanity. Emacs is only worth learning if you also want to learn lisp

based and ugandapilled.

Use spacemacs. The menu system is great you don't need to look anything up, just press space, and look for the thing you want to do, then look for the operation on that thing. It's great!

just learn emacs and keep your sanity. Vim is only worth learning if you also want to learn some retarded scripting language which literally nothing else uses

>spacemacs

Attached: 1557338984540.webm (960x540, 2.32M)

wrong. I use vim as my main editor and know 0 vimscript

>keep your sanity
Brainlet spotted.

Is this an edit? Why is the same "person" reacting to nested reaction videos of himself?

>know 0 vimscript
So you're too weak-willed to actually learn to customize your editor? I guess your choice of vim is making sense now.

Attached: fe6.png (2318x1024, 177K)

wrong again. the point I was making is that you don't need to know vimscript to customize your vim. In stark contrast to emacs where even simplest customizations require fucking around with an arcane variant of a meme language (elisp).

You say "bang it".

>customize your vim
Setting what is the equivalent of premade key-value pairs in your .vimrc is not customization.
>an arcane variant
How is elisp "arcane"?
>meme language
Every language (natural or otherwise) is _by definition_ a "meme".

>arcane
see

you really think it's reasonable to expect someone to learn a whole new language to use an editor?
The lesson we learned from modern computing is to use the right tools for the task. Then why would you want to bring everything including the kitchen sink into a mediocre editor?

Apparently .emacs is deprecated. You're supposed to use init.el, which is located... I forgot. Haven't even bothered changing it myself yet.

~/.emacs.d, it's the the user-emacs-directory variable.

Ctrl-H or Alt-x help

>You really think it's reasonable to expect someone to learn a whole new language to use an editor?
How is it not perfectly reasonable? Especially when the language is as simple to learn as Lisp. I guess it might be a problem for complete retards who spout memes about it being "arcane" or "hard to learn" when they've never really looked into it, but why would anyone care about them?
>right tools for the task
Please tell me how inventing an entirely new shitty DSL instead of using an existing and well-established general purpose language to make your changes to the program is the "right tool" for the task?
>why would you want to bring everything including the kitchen sink into an editor
Emacs isn't an editor. It's an interpreter for elisp which includes an editor and some other programs in its official/default distribution. As opposed to vim, which is an editor that includes an interpreter for vimscript, thus showing how extensibility is merely an afterthought and not the main focus of the program. Assuming you spend a lot of time dealing with text, why would you subject yourself to someone else's preferences when you could take virtually complete control over your editing?
>mediocre
Thankfully you can actually change every aspect of how emacs works, so its editor being mediocre for you is your own fault.

elisp is pretty close to common lisp, which you should learn anyway

Should I use emacs with or without a GUI? I know you can't display images in the terminal version.

this, can someone give us an answer on this?

The only non-obscure reason to use the terminal version is not having a graphical environment available.

It's "duck it", you assholes!

Why not both?

Have emacs --server start automatically and call the emacs client on it, one with the GUI one without it.

>In stark contrast to emacs where even simplest customizations require fucking around with an arcane variant of a meme language
This stopped being true more than ten years before Vim even existed. Emacs has customize.el for setting options via GUI/TUI

gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html#SEC4

>Many minor extensions can be done without any programming. These are called customizations, and are very useful even by themselves. For example, for editing a program in which comments start with `

Evil pill more like. Evil is the best Vim emulation I have encountered by far, and you still get to replace Vimscript with Emacs lisp and get Org mode, Tramp, SLIME, etc.

If you start emacs in daemon mode you can have GUI and terminal emacs instances open at the same time if you like. It literally doesn’t matter but people seem to prefer the GUI version, which includes the terminal version.

>having to switch mode for typing and for commands
>vimuser.org
We've had modifier keys for decades, user.

Attached: leah2.jpg (300x300, 43K)

Everything terminal Emacs can do, GUI Emacs can do as well. The opposite is not true.
Sure, if you are constrained in a text-only environment such as a tty or a ssh session, you have no choice but to use the terminal version. But why needlessly cripple yourself when you have a GUI available? I hate this mentality.

this is the end-game

>leah
Use his real name.

>menu system
that is just the which-key package, you dont need an entire bloated distribution for that

Attached: 1536150154373.png (819x614, 708K)

damn user, you rekt him with sheer logic

Use StartPage, Duck is botnet

I have read book on it. It was actually really good book.
I do not remember title or author though

Map them properly. Lisp machines did everything better.

Attached: symbolics2.jpg (1024x768, 167K)

memes aside space cadet/knight keyboards are GOAT