I'm interviewing for a Senior UI developer position...

I'm interviewing for a Senior UI developer position. Just got this take-home coding assignment they want me to complete before they'll bring me in for an interview. How should I respond to their request?

Attached: Vxz1H5d[1].png (814x1054, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/8Ango
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tell those fuckers to pound sand. they want you to build a production app with test coverage? maybe send them your contracting rate lol

Tell them to suck your dick because you don't work for free. This is a classic scam that companies use to get free work out of people.

when is this due?

Wow, I have never gotten such a huge assignment from one of these things before.

was it a pajeet that gave you this assignment

kek holy shit, what a joke

A) Do it. I assume you're capable because you're applying to a senior UI position. Or is the backend part more than you expected?
B) Say you don't have time to complete a take-home assignment.

Tell them to fuck off

he didnt give me a timeframe but I imagine sometime next week would be the soft deadline

yes, he was almost unintelligible on the phone. I was sitting in a park when I took the call and he got really upset that he could hear a bird on the phone. I told him I was on my lunch break and didn't want to take an interview call in the office.

>he got really upset that he could hear a bird on the phone
uh? this company seems retarded

what company OP?

>Do it.
>Literally advocating doing it for free.

Attached: 1553232372508.jpg (208x208, 15K)

I'm probably going with B. I can do the backend shit no problem, sure it might take me a little longer than someone who specializes in writing APIs, but that's not the issue. It's that I already have a full time job and this is a fucking lot of work to expect me to do in my free time

i was waiting for someone to ask, this is for Cisco networks, should I post proof?

>this is for Cisco networks, should I post proof?
I believe it. The pajeet that interviewed you probably has a braindumped CCIE and would pretend he wrote your project.

Right? It seems like they want to basically drop their own AWS key into my app and deploy it, lazy fuckers

I'm sure they would find some reason at the "interview" not to hire me too.

cover yourself in shoe polish and type black lives matter a hundred times

Attached: 1274467867730.jpg (476x357, 23K)

Nope. Plenty of other companies that don't do this that are worth talking to anyway.

For a senior UI position you should be able to do that in a weekend. However asking for test coverage for a fucking coding challenge is autistic and I bet these fuckers are not a good employer to begin with.

proof

Attached: qke9YYL[1].png (1010x1190, 99K)

>redditgur

Out of interest, is working at Cisco a step up from your current job? Are you refusing out or principle or because it's not a rational investment of your time?

also before anyone calls me out for not activating windows i had to replace my motherboard a few weeks ago and windows freaked out about it. haven't gotten around to finding my key

>he saves his throwaway Jow Forums mspaints to his computer

Attached: Girls[1].png (449x401, 490K)

It would be a bump in pay but this goes beyond principle, the amount of work they're asking for should be literally illegal

basically they're hoping some sucker will do this for them because it costs nothing to send these requests out

The ex had a friend that made million's in the 90's before the .com bust he has been living off his savings ever since and just started looking for work. Places he has been applying to do this type of shit to him all the time.

post it on glassdoor OP

Not OP, but anyone that actually completes a "coding challenge" like this just for a chance at working somewhere is a bootlicker. They're also an idiot that will get their work stolen by a pajeet that was probably tasked by their boss to develop a UI like this. It reminds me of that one chick that applied for a job at Google and presented some of the work she did on her free time, which the interviewer then turned around and patented. archive.is/8Ango

I really doubt a company like Cisco would literally outsource their work like this. For one thing, it's a huge legal issue to have code that wasn't written by your employees. If you think it's inherently unreasonable to ask for this amount of work, that's fine. From my perspective an interview is already a wasted day, so it's just a matter of where you draw the line.

>I really doubt a company like Cisco would literally outsource their work like this.
Most of the time nobody has any fucking idea what anyone else is doing in large organizations like Cisco. It's entirely possible the coding challenge isn't condoned by HR or the interviewer's supervisor, but it's possible it's something he does to get other people to do his work for him.

I work at a big company and it's the opposite of what you say. E.g. As an engineer I play a small role in recruiting, almost everything is coordinated by HR. OP was almost certainly communicating with a recruiter not an engineer.

stay away from pajeet company, they will scam you. quit wasting time with this shit.

Lots of places have the team that will receive the new candidate heavily involved after the initial screening. Then they make a recommendation to HR and HR does the actual hiring. He probably is talking to a recruiter, but you don't seem to understand the lengths cockroaches will go to get ahead. If the work isn't directly for him then it might be for his brother that he nepotism'd into the company. It's like when all the Chinese people meet up in the bathrooms during SAT tests to share answers. Even when they don't know each other. All they know is that they can use each other to get ahead.

yes, the recruiter sent me the coding challenge, but there's not a chance he reviewed it. It's not like he would go back to the engineer and tell him to revise it. Engineers are usually the ones that choose the interview questions

And I did speak directly to an engineer, who was a pajeet if I didn't make that clear

I get the general principle of being greedy an unprincipled, but I think you're underestimating how routine and regimented things are at big companies are. It would be a lot of effort to farm out your work to a recruiter friend, more so than just writing the code in the first place. Note that the exam states you can use any library/platform. In a big company these are all fixed, so even if you had this code you'd have to port it to the library/platform that you're supposed to use. And by that time you might as well have written it yourself.

not if you're a stupid dirty indian that doesn't know how to code and scammed their way to the top

>It would be a lot of effort to farm out your work to a recruiter friend, more so than just writing the code in the first place.
Not if you're a filthy fucking pajeet that doesn't know how to do it.

> I think you're underestimating how routine and regimented things are at big companies are
I have literally never seen a "coding challenge" this involved in an interview ever.

I'm not Indian, just trying to help people here who are smart but disconnected from reality because any internet subculture tends to drift off into its own circlejerk. I'm not saying stereotypes about Indians are false, but on Jow Forums they are taken to an unrealistic extreme. Especially since the worst developers don't work for big companies, they work for contractors.

My friend got one from Uber.

you’re being scammed or tested. They might want to see if you’re a bitch who will work for free or a standup guy. Either way don’t be a bitch.

Just build it but don't release the source code. Put a really nice and fancy license on it, and if they use your code you can sue them... Or, you can bring your work to the office and show everybody the code, but don't let them take it. Another option is to distribute the compiled code, not the code itself.

nice thought to entertain, I did the same.

But in reality what would happen is they would get upset and ghost me, or just keep asking for the source to "prove" that I wrote it myself.

What the fuck company does this? They honestly expect you to create their needed software for free?

lmao, no wonder we're losing to the fucking chinese

This.
What a joke

part of the submission requirements are to put it in an open souce code repository like Github -- I just read the full page and honestly they are only looking for something that can be done in about an hour for anyone with basic experience with web framework like Flask or Django. I'd do it if i needed a job.

Is it just me or is it trivial? Less than a day of work for a polished product. Like an hour's worth for a rough proof of concept.
Its LITERALLY just a server with a single API endpoint returning a structured list, whether it be JSON or XML or whatever you fucking prefer. The mock data can literally be in a json.txt file and then you write a 5 line script in pretty much any language with HTTP capabilities (PHP, node.js, fucking Go if you want) to read that file and pass it back. 10 minutes of work to set up, 20 minutes to iron out if you want.
The frontend is gonna just need a table view parsing the JSON into it. Now I suck balls at UI design but a basic, functional but ugly, frontend will take me 5 minutes in theory, let's again say 10 minutes for ironing out imperfections. A UI designer might then spend, say, half an hour making the thing responsible, giving it good styling, adding fancy headers/footers to make it look like a dashboard rather than a raw table, whatever. Again, trivial in vanilla HTML+JS+CSS but you're entirely free to use your favourite framework (like React or whatever the fuck) to make the UI.

So in a generous 1 hour we have a working version of the basic requirements. Deploy it to heroku and done.

For the bonus stuff, some things might take a little while. For login, you're gonna need to add an actual API with a couple of endpoints. For paging, the server will need to be very slightly smarter than "read file, pass string as HTTP body", and you're gonna have to add limit parameters to the query, and you're gonna need to add previous/next buttons to the UI. Each of these might take an extra hour. Some rudimentary test might take another hour. For searching/sorting results, I am certain there's 1,000+ libraries for the frontend, but with paging you'd need to implement it at the backend, and honestly this is where I'd draw the line: that's a pretty big feature.

But I don't get the drama about just the basic stuff, and maybe a bonus or two too.

it's extremely trivial, i think people are just assuming they want more than what's being asked for, and possibly OP just doesn't know how to do it -- i agree on the 1 hour estimate as well

send them an image file called UX.png but its actually a picture of your cock

no, again, I know how to do this stuff, but this goes way beyond the average interview coding request.

if you do it in one hour and livestream yourself doing it, I will pay you $100

But this is Junior level work. I'm confused

heres the thing, there are tons of jobs out there already for skilled software developers. Many don't require spending time writing throwaway code where you could be spending time watching basketball or having sex with your wife. Why the fuck would anyone with options let themselves get whipped, before even getting a $ offer?

When you grow up, most interviews fall out not because you fail them, but because they fail you.

i did say "possibly" -- but no thank you, i've already got too many projects i'm working on -- btw you get most of the "Bonus" stuff for free with something like Django

I had something similar for a job with Slickdeals.net for a Linux engineer position a number of years ago. Not only did they send me an email with "homework" to do, I was expected to come into the office and execute a number of ridiculous shoulder-to-shoulder lab exercises with the fucking CTO sitting next to me the whole time. And this had to happen BEFORE we could go to the next round of interviews. In other words, I had already had two interviews, and in order to go any further I had a multi-question "homework" assignment to complete and work in their test lab on whenever they threw at me and there STILL was no guarantee I'd get the job.

Attached: 1432246080487.png (480x720, 274K)

also, i would have loved an interview like this compared to whiteboarding obscure algorithms that i may or may not have learned about 15 years ago

exactly, because you cant do it in an hour faggot

sure, if you gave them a couple weeks to get it done. Are we in different universes when it comes to the skill level of most juniors?

Pro-Tip: Do everything they say, except do NOT publish the source or any build artifacts such that they can directly access any way to reproduce your application. Give them a beautiful UI into AWS EC2 with a test/test login that lives on your box and hand them the URL, saying the source files will 'follow shortly'. Let them stew for a bit and wait for their eventual response. If they were legitimate, you would probably just get the offer there. If they were jew, you would be able to detect very quickly based on their urgent tones regarding not receiving the source files yet.

>cant write an algorithm
brainlet, ofc youd rather do homework where you can google "how to build python server" pajeet youtube tutorials

Attached: pajeet.jpg (247x228, 8K)

I can easily and will not be goaded into doing it when 1) i don't need the money, 2) i don't give a shit about doing _more_ trivial projects like this, and 3) there's a chance you really might not know how to do it, so $100 is cheap in exchange for a job offer from Cisco. If you are OP then at this point it's obvious you don't know how to code this othewise you wouldn't be here whining about it. I've already given you multiple tips, along with another person, so that even if you DIDNT KNOW, but had any competence, you could at least get it done this weekend.

If they are jew, you now have a good position from which to negotiate a quick 4-5 figure lump sum payment for access to the source code, rather than getting scammed for your time.

This
I did that mistake once. Never again.

NEVER work for free.

they actually want to see your code to see if you are worth hiring, they aren't asking for a fancy impressive UI, just someting that meets the requirements.

this sounds like someone's homework

tell them to eat shit and apply somewhere else. theyre stealing time from you with this shit, theyre almost undoubtedly using this as a way to get free working shit

Nice try pajeet you have never programmed anything in your life and it shows lmao

send them pic related

Attached: geeCurriculum.jpg (1768x1932, 189K)

sure thing buddy. i've been programming for over 3 decades now. and i'm not a pajeet, you sound jealous

Tell them they have it backwards, you work after you're hired, nor before

sounds like a company you don't want to work for anyway.
What a shit culture.

did you not see the post where I blew off the recruiter? OBVIOUS cop out.

I'll donate $200 to a charity of your choice.

Never, EVER work for Indians

>calls me out for not activating windows
I usually don't do this because no one gives a shit, but because you asked me to, you're a fuckwit and you should just use microsoft toolkit to install a hacked local KMS server on your machine.

you know someone will get hired eventually if enough people sent that out.

>In a big company these are all fixed
hahahaha
no
you make a UI for your manager to show some shit to his managers
it never gets used again.
no one cares.

I feel attacked

this is really all we do, isn't it

I’m a hiring manager. It’s not trivial, the engineers will be looking for best practices the entire way.

A day of work is a lot for a job you don't need, when you're already working 40 hours a week. Let's say it takes 10 hours, if you usually get paid $50/hr, that's pretty much $500 they want for free. And also you're underestimating it.

You already have a job, don't work for free, especially for a stinky degenerate poo.

Spend those 10 hours watching Dave Ramsey videos on finance instead (he's basically money advice Oprah)

if you manage to get it past the HR auto-filter and onto my desk I'll interview you for shits and giggles

>hiring manager
hr is scum of the earth and should all be executed

>money advice Oprah
A sheboon you can use as a calendar based on how fat she is at any given time of year, not worth listening to by anybody?

I missed that part, I only saw the fruity "really cool product, i want to be a part of it" lol

but since i guess you burned the bridge already, no harm giving more tips so you can better yourself. i'd use python since i have more experience with flask and django for this kind of thing. these have RESTful APIs already built in. set up the various routes you'll need -- sounds like you really only need one that returns a list of EC2 instances (which you can just populate info into the built in database/ORM -- it doesn't say you need to talk to an amazon ec2 API and actually have instances deployed), then use something like flask-admin or django-admin to get the fancy UI for free -- complete with paging, sorting, searching. User management is provided with Django, so just enable that, or use something like flask-user and set it up yourself. Define a default username and password. Django is going to come with unit tests already, so you just need to add your own for the route(s) you set up, or use flask and roll your own (or not -- it's bonus, not a requirement). deploy your prototype to heroku (worth learning as well) or a VPS if you don't care, they aren't going to log in and see if you are starting it in a tmux/screen session, but i'd deploy it via kubernetes for brownie points, but even docker would be good.

if you go ahead and do it, use a restrictive license so you can sue pajeet when he steals it

oh FUCK off. I don't tips, you inflated prick

*don't need tips

> coding assignment is literally babby's first CRUD app, 1 GET endpoint & mock data
> Entire thread is ass blasted by the scope.

Are you... are you guys in the industry? The only part of this that is retarded is that there's no fucking unit tests to write if all you're doing is shitting data onto the screen. It would be reasonable to expect a senior programmer to either slap together libraries they know about or retrofit an old CRUD sample.

> Muh free work
Did you read the spec? There's nothing in this braindead assignment worth stealing.

Attached: 1497124759725.jpg (245x246, 14K)

you sound butthurt because some people here could do this really easily and if that were true it refutes your claim that cisco are trying to trick you into doing their job. I suggest you follow up on the info in it's good advice.

>t. works for free

Shove an entire payload of data into ag-grid for free sorting, filtering and paging. Done as fast as you can say "npm install."

The real bullshit part is if they expect your login to be legit and not front-end spoof e.g. throwing 401's on the payload endpoint. What fucking UI dev is doing that alone?

> t. doesn't work at all

Im an IT guy just out of college, and Ive been working on something similar to this for a ticket system over the past couple months because the small business ive been interning at doesnt have one and i thought itd be fun to practice. It seems like this should be easy for anyone who's ever workes with a web framework before, is it really that complicated to people to implement this?

If it's any consolation, you can break out of this loop by getting a PhD and focusing on """real shit"""

more like t. has real job experience
your NEETness is showing

Should clarify, i dont think companies givimg bitchwork to interviewees is ok, but this doesnt seem like that hard of a test.

PhD seems like a lot of work for this field where there seems to be a lot of decently high paying jobs right out if undergrad. What do you consider """real shit"""?

80% of web development work isn't difficult, it's time consuming, which is why kode bootcamps have seen great success amongst literal soccer moms and pajeets.
The rest of the work is adjusting to changing requirements or misinterpreted requirements.

it's complicated if you do it from scratch, but NOBODY in the industry wants that. use existing frameworks and libraries (that receive actual auditing and reviews), and meet the requirements easily.

I put """real shit""" in quotes because """real shit""" means something different to every PhD--their literal job is to push the boundaries of the field in the direction they (or their employer) choose.

I'm not you, I don't know you, and I don't know what you consider to be """real shit""", but I assure you that once you figure out what it is, there is a golden path for you with a PhD at the end of it.

It's not secret outsourcing. It is too banal to be used as a feature, and it's easy on purpose so that the reviewer can focus less on what was made and more on how well it was made.