Google tells devs to stop using Java

>current year
>using java
theregister.co.uk/2019/05/09/google_kotlin_java/

Attached: Screenshot_20190510-073221.png (1440x2560, 501K)

>tut-tuts

>Oracle's Java
>Oracle's
GOOGLE JAVA GOOD

kotlin is java you idiot

Google fags still use python2

They might have a point. Particularly for more average programmers, Kotlin might result in less work and less bugs.

Also this. Fucking hell.

the only thing that will remain of Java in the future is how good the interop/JVM is with the rise of Kotlin/Scala

kotlin compiles to jvm bytecode, js, and native. im assuming google would rather have this layer of abstraction over the entire jvm so that when they want to fully ditch java (because fuck oracle) they aren't left with as big of a mess

I've always hated java

used to be great but then a committee of academics designed it

So I should click this button?

Attached: dont_click.png (1079x819, 105K)

FooBarAbstractFactoryMakerHelper implements Usable

Java isn't a beautiful language, but the JVM was and remains almost the best option if you want to have a big system run well enough.

Nowadays it's increasingly running very well because the Scala / ... people fixed shit.

For once I'm happy about something changing in the programming world.
If Kotlin native become a thing I'll cum in every thread of this board.

Well, it was nice having code that compiled..

Attached: kotlin.png (1078x819, 89K)

FUUUUUUUUU

Attached: kotlin2.png (1321x819, 87K)

>P-Please stop using java .... w-we can't pay for it

Attached: 3fd.jpg (680x555, 24K)

Help.

Attached: kotlin3.png (1321x819, 94K)

Oh so I just use !! and things work. Nice.

Attached: kotlin4.png (1321x819, 88K)

Check how null safety works.
You will have to explicitly declare which variables can be nullable, and either use smart cast or use the Elvis operator to call methods on nullable objects.

!! assumes your object is not null. It works, but defeats the purpose of null safety.

Reminder that Google is still using java. They may write their demo apps and code samples in kotlin. But they still use Java for the entire framework.

I love how they refer to Google as
>ad giant

A few tens of !! and a reboot later and I have my program again in kotlin. Do I get anything?

Attached: kotlin5.png (1321x819, 108K)

Isn't there a point where programmers are obsolete because we can make programs that write programs? Seems like we've totally missed the point. All the power we have and there are still people writing every line. What a waste of electricity.

unironically based, I kinda wanted to start making android apps again for a while now but fuck investing into getting good at Java and fuck using garbage like react native. Still haven't checked flutter or kotlin though, should be fun

Attached: download.jpg (220x229, 6K)

The double dick operator might be my newest favorite. Fuck null safety, check out these !!

>kotlins face when

Attached: 1487297746816.gif (400x300, 289K)

>from the developers of Go and Go 2

yea listen to them

You can use "lateinit var portInput: EditText" instead of "var portInput: EditText? = null" to avoid making a variable nullable. It tell the compilator that this variable will be initialized sometimes later.

Kotlin is the Javascript equivalent on the JVM.

u wot m8

Attached: companion_object.png (128x23, 795)

It's a mess. Trying to get low IQ programmers who used to do web stuff to develop apps because it's closer to Javascript than to Java.

> it's closer to Javascript than to Java
In which way exactly?

isnt that just a strawman for literally everything in programming? "bad programmers write bad code in x therefore x is bad"

I wish java wasn't so verbose. Just to read and write a file you need to chain multiple readers and writers which is just memorization or requires you to pull up the documentation or stack overflow every single time you want to do it. At least with JavaScript and Python it's just a matter of reading a few lines and using the modules, but Java requires importing multiple things that aren't even needed and should really be done behind the scenes. Java is too much shit. I want to focus on the logic and not wrangling around with the language

Interesting. Tahnks

That is absolutely wrong since Java 8.
Files.readAllBytes and Files.readAllLines exist. Kotlin literally does nothing that Java isn't capable of, but most shitty pajeets developer like you don't even know the big changes in JDK.

can't blame them considering the quality of java resources online

Java is a lot of things but you have to concede it has enormous amounts of resources and documentation online

that doesn't mean they're good, that's my point
because of that you'll see shitton of people using old deprecated garbage practices because they don't know any different or aren't even willing to learn

Only, if you have infinite memory.

You're still USING Java, even if it is abstracted behind kotlin.
And kotlin is great, don't get me wrong.

>Anonymous 05/10/19(Fri)02:13:10 No.708
imma need to see some examples, because imo Oracles documentation is very up to date and pretty good(not a Oracle or Java fag btw)

Literally just type "Java 8 features" into google and it will show you the changes in the IO api. But as you said that you prefer Javascript, you're probably some shitty developer who copy-paste his code from stackoverflow or install extra dependencies to pad a string.

Attached: 1556020279058.png (461x660, 62K)

>But as you said that you prefer Javascript
no, I never said that, I'm not from the start of that chain, I even said "can't blame them" to try and indicate that I wasn't part of the convo until then.
And I'm not talking about oracle's documentation, I'm talking about all the blogposts and other resources from 3rd parties that concern specific things and implementation examples where they'll show you how something is it done but in the old cryptic way
I don't remember off the top of my head, last time I used Java was like 4 years ago and that was my experience, similar to what user explained here

thats fair, maybe Oracle have really stepped up their game and the most recent versions are better documented

I hope so.
Although at that point back then I gave up on Java because the only use of it I ever saw was bullshit enterprise webshit, not what I want to get into. I imagine the only thing I'd ever use it now is android, at least those resources should be pretty modern, be it 1st or 3rd party

>You're still USING Java, even if it is abstracted behind kotlin.
You probably mean Jvm.

currently suffering through it in uni, its alright to learn as an intro to programming or whatever, but now that im intermediate level all of these >70895338
is definately where it gets verbose and annoying

whoops was supposed to quote this >FooBarAbstractFactoryMakerHelper implements Usable

it gets even worse, don't worry and have fun

Which runs Java.

As well as Scala/Groovy/Closure etc. What's your point?

You're still using Java. You're just abstracting it.

bytecode isn't really Java, just like assembly isn't really C

No you are not. At least with Kotlin, because it is compiled directly into the Jvm bytecode. It is not compiled to java first.

Flutter is unironically based

why are they even pushing kotlin when they develop flutter, not enough trust in it yet? its sadly at some points not production ready

Start learning and using c#

but it's useless outside of muh web apps

It‘s used fora lot of desktop software as well, and it‘s a pretty good language for that in my opinion

>ora lot of desktop software
like what, inhouse garbage that depends on windows?

>he thinks c# is only for windows
At least look things up before you talk shit

I know a couple software companies in my area who develop a lot of their stuff in C#. Lots of companies are giving 0 fucks if it doesn‘t run on Linux or Mac, because they only use Windows.

But that‘s the point why I stopped with C#, I became a freetard and stopped using windows.

I don't think it's only for windows but I do think there's no painless way to use it for crossplatform
>b-but muh .net core
i've yet to see software made with it that's not for webshit

This
Cringe

good argument

>kotlin
why would google pucsh people to use a russian botnet?

Haven't used kotlin but is it still .class bytecode files? In which case they can be decompiled back into java?

use kotlin.

Attached: asdfg.jpg (1276x676, 67K)

>because it is compiled directly into the Jvm bytecode
>java virtual machine bytecode
>java
The problems with java isn't just the verbose nature of the code.

>cimpiles to js
Cancer by association.

>Jvm == Java
Do you have a retard or something? Java is a language. Jvm is a virtual machine. Do you know what a virtual machine is?

Yes, kotlin bytecode can be decompiled back to java.

Well, that's until WebAssembly is a thing. Then "compile to JS" step will be just skipped.

>dumb user
Simply cancer

>being similar to the lingua franca of the programming world is somehow bad
Brainlet user

>Google tells devs to stop using Java
good luck, that's usually the only language most CS grads know

Kek I'm first year cs and were using Java for our whole course, there's an optional module next year which is functional programming but its MATLAB for some reason, I might try to learn kotlin over summer

it shouldn't be hard at all, since it uses the same exact libraries as java
syntax is different and there are other quirks like type detection, you could probably learn all the things you need to know to start a project from the wikipedia article on it

Don't forget to liberally spread the double dick operator !!

Java is fucking based, runs on every OS under the sun, and fucks all of your mothers.

well it makes sense... Oracle put Java under risk as soon as they acquired it and they've been slowly killing it. the lack of development, new features, support and so on made Java just ultimately inferior to C#.

but C# can't be really used cross-platform. (Windows, OS X works but its ass on Linux)
So yea, in the end, you just don't use either. Qt if app is open-sores, python + some gui if not.

>runs slow
>non-native UIs
>poor OS feature support
>class frameworks are over engineered by 9,001
>"enterprise fizzbuzz" isn't even a joke, it's how java fags think code should be
>working on a java team means smelling like curry
yeah, no.

>Qt if app is open-sores, python + some gui if not.
While I have complaints about it, Xojo is pretty damn good for cross platform GUI apps. It's not free, but it's not fuck you expensive like a commercial Qt license either.

>>non-native UIs
*blocks your path*

Attached: unknown.png (515x101, 3K)

>>runs slow

This always really got me. It obviously has the potential to run well. High performance websites use it. Tiny resource constrained devices run it fine.

So why does every Java desktop app take ten years to start and then lag to shit?

well, it's not too cheap either judging from their site. I mean I guess it depends on the scale of the job.
but it must be a very good/big project if you can afford a commercial license + support for such a project.

I can't. I'm straight.

>I'm straight.
>posted on Jow Forums - Gay
[X] DOUBT

No one is straight in Jow Forums

Maybe partially

This is just me personally, but my college taught Java as its main language and the curriculum taught us using a shitton of features that are now depreceated- which might have been fine for learning, except nobody told us they were depreceated. I only know because im the only one who ever bothered reading oracle documentation.

>"java is interfering with our botnet function"
>"let's start a programming language shaming campaign against it."

Attached: 1493252949732.jpg (300x250, 11K)

t. Jobless fag
It's not that slow. Fags like you love to over exaggerate. Jvm takes time to start up. That's the only issue. Once it gets warm, I doubt you'll notice anything. The longer the application runs, the faster it'll get because jvm is magic and optimizes more and more.

Are you retarded? Most documentation on their site says Java 8 jdk. Rarely has anything above 8

JVM is a virtual machine that runs Java bytecode.

>2019
>still not using the J9 VM

>You are actually using assembly when writing C/C++/Delphi because it compiles into assembly and even when writing Java/C# because virtual machines are written in C++ which is then compiled into assembly
This can be said using your logic.

And it is true.

sorry google. im not going to rewrite my entire app in your meme language just because you guys are greedy and dont want to pay oracle for using their software. if its that big of a deal to you then you should just buy oracle out. you got the money...